Is there a website....

Reaction score
Where you can check if a town/city is drone friendly or not, I’m well aware of the sites that mark NFZ for drones but has anyone put together a site to check local ordinances ? I know some beach towns in NJ they’re not allowed but how does one go about checking this easily ....
Thank you for your help

Where you can check if a town/city is drone friendly or not, I’m well aware of the sites that mark NFZ for drones but has anyone put together a site to check local ordinances ? I know some beach towns in NJ they’re not allowed but how does one go about checking this easily ....
Thank you for your help
Not sure but what a great idea,,you could make a app for this ,, I'm sure it be well used:):)

The FAA defines the airspace. I am under the impression that FAA rules can't be over ruled by locals. They can specify the lowest altitude but not totally restrict flying. People are free to have drones fly in and out of their property vertically up to the allowed lowest altitude. Amazon delivery is one thing I think of here. This kind of stuff will probably wind up in court.

Reactions: teelions
The FAA defines the airspace. I am under the impression that FAA rules can't be over ruled by locals. They can specify the lowest altitude but not totally restrict flying. People are free to have drones fly in and out of their property vertically up to the allowed lowest altitude. Amazon delivery is one thing I think of here. This kind of stuff will probably wind up in court.

Dude I’m talking about taking off and landing , That’s governed by local jurisdictions.... Forget the FAA

Not sure but what a great idea,,you could make a app for this ,, I'm sure it be well used:):)

Consider it yours Ian make an App... I’m full of good ideas and some other stuff [emoji23][emoji23] but I’m not the type to make it happen

Dude I’m talking about taking off and landing , That’s governed by local jurisdictions.... Forget the FAA
I mentioned that issue specifically.
I am of the impression that a property owner has owner ship of air space above their property just as they have mineral rights under ground. If that is indeed the case the local folks can't control the space above your property and once you reach public airspace above the ownership level they have no jurisdiction.
I would like to read a local ordinance that specifies drone air space restrictions.
The FAA position on this is at:

I mentioned that issue specifically.
I am of the impression that a property owner has owner ship of air space above their property just as they have mineral rights under ground. If that is indeed the case the local folks can't control the space above your property and once you reach public airspace above the ownership level they have no jurisdiction.
I would like to read a local ordinance that specifies drone air space restrictions.
The FAA position on this is at:
I have never seen anything saying that property owners have rights to control the air space above their property. Quite the opposite. Also, as I understand, the local and state governments don't control that air space either. It is all supposed to be under the jurisdiction of the FAA.
Of course, that hasn't stopped some local and state governments from imposing their own limits. I recently say a news report about a complaint of a neighbor "spying with a drone" and the reporter stated that in that state it was against the law to fly a personal drone under 250 feet AGL. How is that legal? And who decided that it needed to be that high? If a State government can decide that you can't fly below 250" can they also make other laws counter to FAA rules such as allowing you to fly over people or at night as long as you stay above 250'?
And if I do own the airspace above my property, at least up to 250', can I disregard FAA rules and fly at night or beyond VLOS?
Where does it end?

Thank you for your help

Here are a couple of sites I have found that have information on private property and drone laws outside of what the FAA website states.

As mentioned here (State Regulation of Private Property in the Drone Age - Unmanned Aerial):
Regarding Trespass and Property Rights
  • “Adjudicating private property rights is beyond the scope of this rule. However,
    the provisions of this rule are not the only set of laws that may apply to the
    operation of a small UAS; the FAA will address preemption issues on a case-by-
    case basis rather than doing so in a rule of general applicability.”
  • “Property rights are beyond the scope of this rule. However, the FAA notes that,
    depending on the specific nature of the small UAS operation, the remote pilot in
    command may need to comply with state and local trespassing laws.”
  • “The FAA also notes that hobbyists or other third parties who do not have the
    facility owner’s permission to operate UAS near or over the perimeter or interior
    of amusement parks and attractions may be violating state or local trespassing
    laws.”
Regarding Privacy
  • “State law and other legal protections may already provide recourse for a person
    whose individual privacy, data privacy, private property rights or intellectual
    property rights may be impacted by a remote pilot’s civil or public use of a UAS;
    in light of the FAA’s long-standing mission and authority as a safety agency, it
    would be overreaching for the FAA to enact regulations concerning privacy
    rights.”

This link is for a drone law firm with links related to local, state, federal, and international laws:

It would be a good idea to research your state and local government laws and ordinances regarding trespass and privacy.

Reactions: hansom-phantom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT