Is the DJI OSMO a must have?

Reaction score
Is the DJI OSMO a must have. This video review scores the system and answers that question.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As a ground videographer as well, it's much more attractive than a Ronin-M and a DSLR...although I may have to splash out and get some kind of 3 axis gimbal for my Sony AX100 camcorder.

Last edited:
As a ground videographer as well, it's much more attractive than a Ronin-M and a DSLR...although I may have to splash out and get some kind of 3 axis gimbal for my Sony AX100 camcorder.
I love the size. For me it's more about having something I can keep with me and film with at a moments notice. Its funny how much most complain about prices. I guess I'm a little spoiled. Been doing this a long time and my first camera was a piece of junk consumer camera that cost $1,500. While the OSMO is certainly not perfect it still impresses me because I can see incredible potential and many uses.

Reactions: Muzza5
I think for a run and gun vlogger... Yes. But to use for pro work the camera is just ok. Casey Nisate used it the other day for his blog. I think it has a place in the tool bag but then again I fly a dslr and Ronin-M and it's a dream!

We just received the DJI OSMO Tripod part 3 in stock along with Extension Arm Part 5 and the Universal mount part 6

Is the DJI OSMO a must have. This video review scores the system and answers that question.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love the OSMO it serves it's purpose. I am a LEO and we are in the process of purchasing a few, for documenting the exit of a crime scene (subsequent to said the scene being processed).

No the osmo is not a must have. I have has one for quite a while and i wish i just had boughht a canon dslr. THe osmo has some really wied tendencies and i find myself constanly having to recenter the gimbal. as far as im concerned it should always do that. As a vlogging tool, it would drive me crazy. you pout it into selfie mode and the camera faces towards the operator. if you move around at all or spin with it in front, the camera is always lagging way behind and you always loose yourself in the shot. And finally its too **** slow for setup. I take mine dirt biking and hiking and all sorts and it just find it to be a pain to pull it out turn it on, then the wifi takes forever to link to your phone, and then takes some more time to link to phone then you finally have it and the shot is gone.
Dont get me wrong. it has its time and place and is a great tool for filmmakers but I would absolutely us a dslr way more than my oso

Yeah I don't know about must have. The X5 with the oly 12mm lens makes impressive footage and stills. Also very steady with a axis.

Big but is if you're throwing a focus wheel, z-axis, and/or shotgun mic on it than it takes forever and is heavy and a bit unruly. The case it comes with is cool but heavy and the handle travels pretty unassembled.

Also timelapse not really a feature even though DJI has had since forever to put it in an update. I've found in the breeze the gimbal has a bit of an issue locking for long shots so even on a tripod it's difficult to get long takes without movement.

The fan is loud. On the regular osmo I think you can turn it off in the settings but not on the pro. So shooting interviews on it seems risky.

I'd buy it if you already had the x5 camera for an inspire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic