Is it just me ?

Reaction score
Is it just me, or do others find aerial photography & video mind numbingly boring ?

Even more so now that every man and his dog has the means to churn this crap out by the bucket load ?

Oh, with the obligatory cheesy sound track. :( FFS

It was a bit of a novelty back when we had blip cams attached to GWS Slow Sticks, but you seen it once, you've seen it a million times.

Boring.

Last edited:
Hi Paul60

You do get it, that these Phantom drones are "Aerial Photography " vehicles/cameras, that is their raison d'être...!
If you don't see it, why do you have one, I have racing drones as well, they do a different job.
You are entitled to your opinion mate..! but why have an aerial camera if not to film from the air..
Waylander

Hi Paul60

You do get it, that these Phantom drones are "Aerial Photography " vehicles/cameras, that is their raison d'être...!
If you don't see it, why do you have one, I have racing drones as well, they do a different job.
You are entitled to your opinion mate..! but why have an aerial camera if not to film from the air..
Waylander

I just enjoy flying missions, just looking around, checking my property etc.

Some AP is genuinely interesting. 90% I find boring.

Reactions: MadMacs
i kinda get what you mean but for me its how do videos which are just hey look i can fly and move around get loads of likes, views and comments compared to my oen videos and other who spend hours and hours of editing and experiences flying skills dont get 10% of what those get. dont make sense to me ha.

But as above not sure why id by a good quality camera drone to just have a look around as surely that gets boring? how many times do you check your house ha.

If you just want to feel like your flying around id get a racing drone for more of a thrill

i kinda get what you mean but for me its how do videos which are just hey look i can fly and move around get loads of likes, views and comments compared to my oen videos and other who spend hours and hours of editing and experiences flying skills dont get 10% of what those get. dont make sense to me ha.

But as above not sure why id by a good quality camera drone to just have a look around as surely that gets boring? how many times do you check your house ha.

If you just want to feel like your flying around id get a racing drone for more of a thrill

I enjoy the flying, tinkering aspect more. Pics and videos are just a bonus for me to view after the flight.

That's probably why I have a P3S and not a P4 or better.

I am looking for something to replace my aging P3S though.

I don't mean to take away from the film buffs, but it's not all about video & pretty pictures.

I have always found photography boring. AP takes 'mundane' & 'boring' to dizzying new heights.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or do others find aerial photography & video mind numbingly boring ?

Above a certain height everything looks the same, and more so if the terrain is flat for miles and miles. I've been doing nature photography for years and know how much planning and knowledge it takes to get those stunning shots. Not to mention the need for stunning scenery. I'm a newbie at drones but I can imagine that creating stunning aerial videos is even more of a challenge. One thing I've learnt though . . . fly low and slow.

You could say the same about landscape photography, golf, or any interest/hobby for that matter. You find aerial videography boring. Fair enough. You won’t be alone.

For me the videography is only a small component. Finding locations, planning the shoot, practicing and learning new moves, editing etc are all part of it.

Personally I find waypoint missions exceptionally boring. You might as well just watch someone else fly.

You could say the same about landscape photography, golf, or any interest/hobby for that matter. You find aerial videography boring. Fair enough. You won’t be alone.

For me the videography is only a small component. Finding locations, planning the shoot, practicing and learning new moves, editing etc are all part of it.

Personally I find waypoint missions exceptionally boring. You might as well just watch someone else fly.
I think the same way as you. Waypoints or video from a open field are boring as ****. I always try to find interesting or abandoned places that is interesting to see. I hate to waste my time on the same location always.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Boring photography and videos are boring whether your camera is at ground level or up in the air.
Great images are great images but you can't depend on a flying camera to give poor photography a lift.

Even more so now that every man and his dog has the means to churn this crap out by the bucket load ?

Oh, with the obligatory cheesy sound track. :( FFS

It was a bit of a novelty back when we had blip cams attached to GWS Slow Sticks, but you seen it once, you've seen it a million times.

Boring.
Show us some not-boring examples or go out and film some not-boring stuff to show us. Otherwise you sound like your just having a bad day and taking it out on other people's stuff. Not trying to offend you, it's just that you're not offering any examples or solutions etc... give us something please.

Look at this guys stuff.. he's at least trying to add a dynamic element to his footage...

Reactions: grin factor

Put some of these on your drone and give us some low fast footage over water... early in the morning when the fish are jumping etc... I would really like to see you do that with your drone ;)

Boring photography and videos are boring whether your camera is at ground level or up in the air.
Great images are great images but you can't depend on a flying camera to give poor photography a lift.

This says it all. When aerial photography was a novelty, any video/photo taken from above would get a "wow". Heck, I have shaky 480p videos I took years ago by strapping a $50 keychain camera (the glorious 808) to an RC plane or helicopter that looked absolutely fantastic back then, and are unwatchable by today's standards.
Now with drones being mainstream, the novelty is wearing off, so aerial photography is like standard photography: you will find many boring photos or videos, some good, a few great.

Reactions: ravedog
I don’t look at it as AP. It’s just another camera in my bag to get another perspective. I shoot stills mostly and shoot urban decay. I can’t tell you how elevated or overhead shots can change the whole photographic story.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
I don’t look at it as AP. It’s just another camera in my bag to get another perspective. I shoot stills mostly and shoot urban decay. I can’t tell you how elevated or overhead shots can change the whole photographic story.
You might be lacking in your explanation ability however your images shouldn’t be. That is the point.

Above a certain height everything looks the same, and more so if the terrain is flat for miles and miles. I've been doing nature photography for years and know how much planning and knowledge it takes to get those stunning shots. Not to mention the need for stunning scenery. I'm a newbie at drones but I can imagine that creating stunning aerial videos is even more of a challenge. One thing I've learnt though . . . fly low and slow.
Totally agree with this, was out recently with a guy who just flew so high all the time, I did ask what he thought he saw that wasnt in better view lower.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94