iPad Pro

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this was the right spot to ask this, but I am looking for anyone who has an iPad Pro and uses it to edit photos/videos.

I have a Phantom 3 4K, but I also do photography. I was looking into a laptop to use to quickly edit photos/videos on the go (until I can get home to my desktop), but now I’m considering the iPad Pro for its Retina display and cheaper price tag. I’m wondering if anyone has experimented with transferring their flight videos from an SD card onto the iPad and done any editing?

The iPad Pro finally has USB 3.0 and a card reader should work fairly quickly, but I’m not sure on how well the iPad will receive the video files/play them/store them. I’m considering this as an alternative to spending $800+ on a laptop that I’d only use to edit photos and videos on occasion.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Hi!
Yes, I have an iPad Pro (the previous, 9,7” model, 128GB WiFi+Cellurar).
I use it for flying and, mostly, for sharing (not editing) my photos/videos (ofc, for non-drone things as well).
Regarding editing photos: yes, there are some quite good photo editors out there (Affinity photo, Pixelmator) which aren’t quite viable.
Regarding videos: in terms of getting done with quite OK and quick results, yes - the same iMovie You get is quite OK. But, in case You expect to go much deeper in editing, I fear, You cant get a match with computer. And, the videos require A LOT of memory, and there’s no easy (non-cloud) way to move the big files to external disk. Yes, there are ext. WiFi HDDs, NASes etc, but, on field, that would eat far too much time.
So - such scenario demands a very good self discipline (shoot-edit-throw out the unused, save the finished projects).
So, the thing, why I edit my RAW photos and videos on computer (15”Retina MBPro), is mostly an old thinking (I can imagine the new gen., for whom the first computer in their life is smartphone can go iPad-only) - I’m so accustomed to my CaptureOne Pro as photo editor, library manager and FinalCut Pro X for videos, that it isnt easy to find a motivation to go and learn the iPad-only-way. I did the editing on iPad just occasionally.
But, after the photos and videos are ready, I add them to iCloud Photo Library and share (via shared albums, social netw. apps, etc)
To sum up:
On the photo side, I think, the great new apps and huge horsepowers/excellent screens of new iPads (and the ability to edit by drawing, a.e. a adjustment layer/mask with finger or Apple Pencil is great and can be a better experience than computer (unfortunately, the database side of photos collection isnt on the level of PC).
On video - the chalenge is disk space (but you get the same problem with computer, too), and the functionality of video edoting apps laggs far behind the full featured computer apps like FCPX, Adobe Premiere Pro. But, as I said, the basics are covered fine.
You may go to Apple Store or APR and test the video editing possibilities on a demo unit.

Hi!
Yes, I have an iPad Pro (the previous, 9,7” model, 128GB WiFi+Cellurar).
I use it for flying and, mostly, for sharing (not editing) my photos/videos (ofc, for non-drone things as well).
Regarding editing photos: yes, there are some quite good photo editors out there (Affinity photo, Pixelmator) which aren’t quite viable.
Regarding videos: in terms of getting done with quite OK and quick results, yes - the same iMovie You get is quite OK. But, in case You expect to go much deeper in editing, I fear, You cant get a match with computer. And, the videos require A LOT of memory, and there’s no easy (non-cloud) way to move the big files to external disk. Yes, there are ext. WiFi HDDs, NASes etc, but, on field, that would eat far too much time.
So - such scenario demands a very good self discipline (shoot-edit-throw out the unused, save the finished projects).
So, the thing, why I edit my RAW photos and videos on computer (15”Retina MBPro), is mostly an old thinking (I can imagine the new gen., for whom the first computer in their life is smartphone can go iPad-only) - I’m so accustomed to my CaptureOne Pro as photo editor, library manager and FinalCut Pro X for videos, that it isnt easy to find a motivation to go and learn the iPad-only-way. I did the editing on iPad just occasionally.
But, after the photos and videos are ready, I add them to iCloud Photo Library and share (via shared albums, social netw. apps, etc)
To sum up:
On the photo side, I think, the great new apps and huge horsepowers/excellent screens of new iPads (and the ability to edit by drawing, a.e. a adjustment layer/mask with finger or Apple Pencil is great and can be a better experience than computer (unfortunately, the database side of photos collection isnt on the level of PC).
On video - the chalenge is disk space (but you get the same problem with computer, too), and the functionality of video edoting apps laggs far behind the full featured computer apps like FCPX, Adobe Premiere Pro. But, as I said, the basics are covered fine.
You may go to Apple Store or APR and test the video editing possibilities on a demo unit.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I know the video editing won’t be anywhere close to what I’d get on a computer. I guess I’m mostly just looking for a device where I can watch the videos I’ve taken, make sure the footage is good (to see if I need to reshoot) and make some basic edits. I have Premiere Pro on my desktop computer so I can always take the files home and edit them there. It sounds like the iPad might work for what I want.

Reactions: Mix_
Check out Adobe premiere clip- you can do basic edits and continue to work with Premiere on your desktop. You will also find mobile Lightroom very powerful for photo edits and it will all be sitting in your desktop Lightroom with edits applied also.

Check out Adobe premiere clip- you can do basic edits and continue to work with Premiere on your desktop. You will also find mobile Lightroom very powerful for photo edits and it will all be sitting in your desktop Lightroom with edits applied also.

For photos am I able to work with RAW files?

Similar with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie for iOS (Edit iMovie for iOS projects in Final Cut Pro X 10.4).

Regarding Adobe: I have the full CC subscription too, but, if I didnt got the account from the Training Center I working occasionally, I wouldn’t even consider the 60.50€ plus VAT (86 USD total) monthly for private use only. And, to be honest - for touchscreen interface, I never saw a better video editing App than iMovie.
Yes, the photographer pack Lr+Ps (12€/mo here in EU) is priced in reach of non-profit hobyist, and thats’s good, but, in general, I hate the software subscription mania (Yes, I know, that we aren’t far away from point where the majority of SW and OS will be on subscription)

Similar with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie for iOS (Edit iMovie for iOS projects in Final Cut Pro X 10.4).

Regarding Adobe: I have the full CC subscription too, but, if I didnt got the account from the Training Center I working occasionally, I wouldn’t even consider the 60.50€ plus VAT (86 USD total) monthly for private use only. And, to be honest - for touchscreen interface, I never saw a better video editing App than iMovie.
Yes, the photographer pack Lr+Ps (12€/mo here in EU) is priced in reach of non-profit hobyist, and thats’s good, but, in general, I hate the software subscription mania (Yes, I know, that we aren’t far away from point where the majority of SW and OS will be on subscription)
Fair enough. I don’t like iMovie. I do use FCPX and find it really good however premiere will let you do more.

Fair enough. I don’t like iMovie. I do use FCPX and find it really good however premiere will let you do more.

Regarding FCPX vs Premiere - its more or less the Document-based vs non-Document-based approach and workflow.

Regarding functionality - aye, it is a shame, that it takes so long for Apple to get the functionality they allready had in FCP7 in to FCPX.

But, I’m looking forward and see that they are in the right way (in long term), and the previous 10.4 Update is good, too) - the world is changing, new thechnologies come in and generate new needs and demand new way of thinking. So, if You were working as professional video editor - yea, with FCP out and FCPX in You got a huge blow, and I know guys that migrated to Premiere (because, if you edit to make your live, you cant allow to wait a month-year-3years until the functionality you need comes).
For me as just a hobby editor, I feel more comfortable in FCPX than Premiere.
I used DaVinci too, and it is a great piece of software (and, especially, for color work), but the new FCPX update brings enchancements in color editing, native (not via 3party solutions) LUTs, so, I’m quite optimistic on FCPX future (and because of Apples business model I don’t see it become a subscription ware)

Reactions: With The Birds
Regarding FCPX vs Premiere - its more or less the Document-based vs non-Document-based approach and workflow.

Regarding functionality - aye, it is a shame, that it takes so long for Apple to get the functionality they allready had in FCP7 in to FCPX.

But, I’m looking forward and see that they are in the right way (in long term), and the previous 10.4 Update is good, too) - the world is changing, new thechnologies come in and generate new needs and demand new way of thinking. So, if You were working as professional video editor - yea, with FCP out and FCPX in You got a huge blow, and I know guys that migrated to Premiere (because, if you edit to make your live, you cant allow to wait a month-year-3years until the functionality you need comes).
For me as just a hobby editor, I feel more comfortable in FCPX than Premiere.
I used DaVinci too, and it is a great piece of software (and, especially, for color work), but the new FCPX update brings enchancements in color editing, native (not via 3party solutions) LUTs, so, I’m quite optimistic on FCPX future (and because of Apples business model I don’t see it become a subscription ware)
I will be having another look at iMovie on iOS. I prefer how FCPX works and will use it in preference to Premiere where I can get away with it. I remember iMovie on the iPad as a frustrating experience.

I have set up airdrop in anticipation.

Btw- the creative cloud bundles aren’t bad value if you have a couple of Uni students in the household, 60% off makes it palatable given the number of apps you get access to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94