iPad mini

Reaction score
Hello. I’ve decided to pick up a used iPad mini and it will almost exclusively be used for drone activities. It appears to me that the 3 is not much of an improvement from the 2. So I’m deciding between a 2 or a 4 (used). Is the mini 2 laggy or choppy at all with DJI GO? Thanks

Mini 4 has the A8 chip. quicker Mini 3 Mini 2 has A7 .
Mini 4 has the "non glare" screen...

I use a refurbished Mini 4 purchased at WalMart (sticker on box"new") .........Perfect........

Product TitleApple iPad Mini 4 MK9G2LL/A 64GB Apple A8 X2 1.1GHz 7.9", Space Gray (Certified Refurbished) $279.00
I would steer away from any iPad mini. The processor struggles to handle the data input and the video feed breaks up regularly. Go for a new iPad 9.7 inch. Works seamlessly and is cheap!

My iPad is 4 years old now and works perfectly. Not sure which model but never had any problems. I did hear, like RFP says the mini can struggle.

Decided to spend a little more and got 6th gen iPad. A little heavy but wow what a display.

I would steer away from any iPad mini. The processor struggles to handle the data input and the video feed breaks up regularly. Go for a new iPad 9.7 inch. Works seamlessly and is cheap!

I used iPad mini 4 (128gb) and never ever had a problem flying P4P. I accept others may have had differing experiences, but wish to assure folks that this is not a generic problem for iPad mini 4 imho. I happen to have a iPad 9.7 inch too, too big (heavy and bulky) to practically fly with imho, again others may have alternate view. Try for yourself is my advice.

I wonder which Phantom you are flying. I’ve heard that the Mini works fine up to Phantom 4 but not so good with Pnantom 4 Pro and on. My Mini began to struggle from the first update on my P4P Pro. Never got any better with subsequent updates. My 9.7 Gen 6 iPad is brilliant and has transformed my flying experience. And it was $200 cheaper than the mini!

Hello. I’ve decided to pick up a used iPad mini and it will almost exclusively be used for drone activities. It appears to me that the 3 is not much of an improvement from the 2. So I’m deciding between a 2 or a 4 (used). Is the mini 2 laggy or choppy at all with DJI GO? Thanks

I’d go with the 4. My mini 4 is exclusive for my drones .... no issues yet. Handles everything well and smoothly.

Hi Guy's,
On the subject of iPads and the software like DJI Go and DJI Go4 and Litchi, I'm considering buying a new iPad, but it is only a wi-fi equipped iPad, without being a Wi-Fi & Cellular model will this not be able to use GPS, or will it still function in GPS mode ok , and what will I see as a difference in flying my P4 standard? I'm considering an iPad 6th Generation 9.7" Any info will be super.
Thanks Guy's
SteveP55

I'm considering buying a new iPad, but it is only a wi-fi equipped iPad, without being a Wi-Fi & Cellular model will this not be able to use GPS, or will it still function in GPS mode ok
Yes. The drone uses its internal GPS receiver to hold its horizontal position when flying with GPS assistance.

Without GPS on your mobile device, you will not be able to reset the home point to your current location or use the Follow Me flight mode. Those things require the GPS location of your mobile device -- and that's not available when the mobile device does not contain a GPS receiver.

will I see as a difference in flying my P4 standard?
Like what kind of differences?

Reactions: Loz
I wonder which Phantom you are flying. I’ve heard that the Mini works fine up to Phantom 4 but not so good with Pnantom 4 Pro and on. My Mini began to struggle from the first update on my P4P Pro. Never got any better with subsequent updates. My 9.7 Gen 6 iPad is brilliant and has transformed my flying experience. And it was $200 cheaper than the mini!

Hi if that question was back to me I’m flying P4P (and others). I accept we have differing experiences with mini.

Yes. The drone uses its internal GPS receiver to hold its horizontal position when flying with GPS assistance.

Without GPS on your mobile device, you will not be able to reset the home point to your current location or use the Follow Me flight mode. Those things require the GPS location of your mobile device -- and that's not available when the mobile device does not contain a GPS receiver.

Like what kind of differences?
THANKS MSINGER,
I'm using an iPad 3 mini now with Wi-fi & cellular and even though the sim card isn't in it the GPS works perfectly with it, So I'll have to find a iPad 6 9.7" with Wi-Fi and Cellular , Thanks for the confirmation on that fact, the weather here in Northern Illinois has been so bad snowy and cold I think I'm beginning to get Cabin Fever.... Need to FLY....... LOL
Take Care and Happy Flying
SteveP55

Mini 4 works great [emoji106]

THANKS MSINGER,
I'm using an iPad 3 mini now with Wi-fi & cellular and even though the sim card isn't in it the GPS works perfectly with it, So I'll have to find a iPad 6 9.7" with Wi-Fi and Cellular , Thanks for the confirmation on that fact, the weather here in Northern Illinois has been so bad snowy and cold I think I'm beginning to get Cabin Fever.... Need to FLY....... LOL
Take Care and Happy Flying
SteveP55
I don't want to speak for msinger, but I'm sure that he was letting you know that you did not need a wifi with cellular iPad unless you actually had a need for the optional features he mentioned. Those optional features being follow me and also the ability to change the automatically set home point to your current location if you've moved from the take off spot.

You may have also understood this, but I just wanted to ask in case you didn't and before you spent extra if not needed. :)

Mini4 cellular, great in my airplane, great with my quads. Also a great gps in my car, and much handier for other activists for me (reading, web browsing). I use a freedompop $10 sim for basic connectivity, tether to my phone if I need more than what they give you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.