iPad Mini vs Full-Size iPad

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of comments about people using the iPad Mini as their FPV solution. Is this the best way to go? Currently I have a full-sized 4th Gen iPad and was wondering if anyone's used the larger iPad attached to the remote.

I'm selling my P2 setup and picking up the P3 this week. I've been using the Black Pearl with my P2 but from what I've read it sounds like a tablet is the ideal setup.

Any recommendations?

I've seen a lot of comments about people using the iPad Mini as their FPV solution. Is this the best way to go? Currently I have a full-sized 4th Gen iPad and was wondering if anyone's used the larger iPad attached to the remote.

I'm selling my P2 setup and picking up the P3 this week. I've been using the Black Pearl with my P2 but from what I've read it sounds like a tablet is the ideal setup.

Any recommendations?
Need to be able to load the APP
the Ipad air 2 or Mini seem to be the tablet of choice depends on if you like the larger view as many do then go air

Reactions: PortlandPicture
Need to be able to load the APP
the Ipad air 2 or Mini seem to be the tablet of choice depends on if you like the larger view as many do then go air

Thanks. That makes sense about the APP. Will a wifi-only iPad work or is the cellular-based version recommended? My main concern is that some places I fly don't even have a cell signal.

App Store won't allow download on full size iPad I have a ipad4 I would like to download it on

From someone who's tried a Samsung 10.5 and iPad air 2.. App Performance/lag aside, I always revert back to my Samsung S6 because the larger tablets are too big.. Too big to handle on the remote, too big for me to use and balance... I always thought I'd really want the largest tablet for the view but I was way off. I think a mini with retina is the perfect balance of size, not to mention apparently apples work way better with the app. That said, a larger phone works fine for my purposes, but I would love to go for a mini eventually.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I started with the iPhone 6+ on a Friday, moved to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 - 7" on Wednesday, then got the iPad mini 2 a couple of days later. This took me from a 6" to 7" to 8" display. IMHO, the mini is the perfect size and weight. If I had the Air, I'm sure I would have used that. Also, the specs for the Mini 2 are identical to the Mini 3 in every way except for Touch ID. The Mini 2 is much less expensive and the Mini 1 is not compatible with the DJI Pilot app. I do feel the iOS version is a little more polished, but all of this is extremely subjective.

Reactions: PortlandPicture
From someone who's tried a Samsung 10.5 and iPad air 2.. App Performance/lag aside, I always revert back to my Samsung S6 because the larger tablets are too big.. Too big to handle on the remote, too big for me to use and balance... I always thought I'd really want the largest tablet for the view but I was way off. I think a mini with retina is the perfect balance of size, not to mention apparently apples work way better with the app. That said, a larger phone works fine for my purposes, but I would love to go for a mini eventually.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
This is also a good choice
I prefer the large tablet but do fly with my iphone 6+ sometimes
IMG_1216.JPG

I started with the iPhone 6+ on a Friday, moved to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 - 7" on Wednesday, then got the iPad mini 2 a couple of days later. This took me from a 6" to 7" to 8" display. IMHO, the mini is the perfect size and weight. If I had the Air, I'm sure I would have used that. Also, the specs for the Mini 2 are identical to the Mini 3 in every way except for Touch ID. The Mini 2 is much less expensive and the Mini 1 is not compatible with the DJI Pilot app. I do feel the iOS version is a little more polished, but all of this is extremely subjective.

Great info! I was debating about simply upgrading my iPhone 6 to the 6-plus, but I can trade in my bigger iPad to Best Buy for a $130 credit -- I've already got a $100 gift card so I'm down to just about $100 out of pocket. I think I'll snag the mini 2 tomorrow! Thanks for the help.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
App Store won't allow download on full size iPad I have a ipad4 I would like to download it on
FYI that an iPad 4 is too old which is why you can't download it. The oldest compatible is the Air 1 (iPad 5) with the A7 processor.

Any recommendations?
I used a Mini 2 until the summer heat arrived. The Mini 2 just could not keep up in the heat and lag was too bad to even fly. I bought an Air 2 to replace the Mini 2. The Air 2 is outstanding. Not too big at all since it is much narrower than the older iPads. It is also not much heavier than the Mini 2. I really don't notice a size difference other than a much bigger and nicer screen, and no lag when it's hotter outside. Also, the Air 2 screen works well in the sun. I don't even use a shade. With the Mini 2 the glare was bad. It was basically a mirror once outdoors.

FYI that an iPad 4 is too old which is why you can't download it. The oldest compatible is the Air 1 (iPad 5) with the A7 processor.
Gotcha I didn't realize that, I guess it's time to upgrade to the 6+ and give my wife my 6 haha

Reactions: Oso
Used a iPad Mini 2 for awhile and it was good then got an iPad Air 2.

I can see much better on the iPad Air 2 outside in the sunlight without a shade. I believe the screen is a bit brighter and it has a slight anti-glare property to it. But mostly I think it's color reproduction is what makes it easier for me to see the Pilot App. The Air 2 in my opinion is better in this regard without a shade than the Mini 2 was with a shade.

Plus the Air 2 is an awesome tablet. I'm loving it so far. Never thought I'd go back to a full size iPad but I'm glad I did in a roundabout way.

Reactions: Oso
Used a iPad Mini 2 for awhile and it was good then got an iPad Air 2.

I can see much better on the iPad Air 2 outside in the sunlight without a shade. I believe the screen is a bit brighter and it has a slight anti-glare property to it. But mostly I think it's color reproduction is what makes it easier for me to see the Pilot App. The Air 2 in my opinion is better in this regard without a shade than the Mini 2 was with a shade.

Plus the Air 2 is an awesome tablet. I'm loving it so far. Never thought I'd go back to a full size iPad but I'm glad I did in a roundabout way.
++1 iPad air 2 is much brighter and easier to see in the sunlight. Fits the holder as well, even with a PadHat shade installed.

I use a Mini 3 w/retina. Good size and weight for the transmitter. Clarity is very good. Easy app download

I use an ipad air 2 and really do find it great
Its only wifi if i get the cellular version will i then be ti use the resit home point/controller location stuff in the app or dies this not wirk with the p3p remote

I'm using an iPad 4 running DJI Go for my P4 just fine but it's Too big, makes the controller too top heavy and the clamp won't open far enough to grab the pad. I have strapped around the top with Velcro One Wrap which is a product I'm never without.

Great info! I was debating about simply upgrading my iPhone 6 to the 6-plus, but I can trade in my bigger iPad to Best Buy for a $130 credit -- I've already got a $100 gift card so I'm down to just about $100 out of pocket. I think I'll snag the mini 2 tomorrow! Thanks for the help.

Still flying Portland picture?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic