Invalid Battery on Phantom Vision..Advice needed.

gunslinger said:
Pull_Up said:
"Vintage" Vision! I like it. I've got one of those vintage ones too - just over 3 months old! ;) I've never had the issues some did with my original data pins but it's good to see there's an upgrade part available if I need it.

Hopefully we won't find out that we need it the hard way... :shock:

-slinger

Failure of the data connection on the ground or in flight is a soft fail, error message only so I'm not worried.

Geert said:
RemE said:
DJI changed the data pins in all Phantom2's and new P2 Visions. They have a "crowned" 4-point tip with a stronger spring so they should be fine. Only a small percentage of the early Visions were out of spec enough to get invalid battery or loss of battery data messages. The firmware prevents an auto land sequence but still reports the problem if it occurs. I have an original Vision vintage and use it with a few different batteries and have never had the issue. I keep the pins lubed, use contact enhancer and don't store a battery in the model. If you felt like a little project, you can now buy the new contact block assembly for $8 and could swap it out if you wanted that extra measure of security. I bought one and will keep it on hand should I ever run into the problem.

Any idea where to buy "contact block" with these new data pins?

I did a quick search on the net but couldn't find it.

Geert

Any DJI dealer should have them "Phantom 2, Spare Part No.6, Internal Power Supply" is on the part label, also PV645116201

This reared it's ugly head again, first last week, with a brand new battery (when I meet up with Pull_Up) and again today with both old and new batteries.

I haven't seen it since back when, everybody else was having the "invalid battery" issue. It's been fine up until I bought a new battery. First it was the new battery, now it's both old and new. I've cleaned both data pins and the battery contacts, but still no fix, so I guess I may have to buy one of the new version of the Internal Power Supply connectors. :roll:

9a9ed0f88c81d4a099270ebb26268c06.jpg

Pull_Up said:
I get it intermittently. I clean battery pads, pins and blades after every flying session. If I get it in the field then I remove the battery and reinsert it once more with feeling (think lock and load) which normally clears it.

I did try that myself today, but didn't work, so I then reverted to my old battery, thinking that would be good, then is got it with that, so I'm kinda thinking it's more likely the data pins and the battery blades on the Phantom. Will have to investigate further on Monday.

Shedracer said:
Has anybody fitted one of these new power blocks, how easy is it to fit?

I would say that it's a bit of a job because you need to pull the main board to get to the block I believe. Plus a little soldering of the main power leads. So not hard but perhaps a some good quiet time!

I did not get any warning at all when mine came down with a bang it was not until I replaced the damages parts from the crash and put a battery in that's when everything went ape on me could not get anything from the app was not until I plug it in to the pc did I fine out it was coming up with none DJI battery have taken it back to the shop over a week ago now still no news of it yet its more then likely being sent back to DJI it could be some time before I fine out what happen. when I did put it all back together and was checking the leads that I notice a chip on the board was red hot with in sec of putting the battery in

I just experienced the Invalid Battery warning and may have some insight to the problem. The data connection to the battery is not a solid contact, there are just two brass dots on the battery that touch contacts in the drone. Any oxidation could disrupt this connection, and it is hard to reach for cleaning. I took the head of a small nail and rubbed it across the two dots, and the alert did not appear again.

Just be careful doing that. The gold contact layer is going to be very thin. You're better off using a proprietary electrical contact cleaner (I use a spray and blast both pads and pins) or a contact enhancer (I've heard good things about DeOxit Gold), or good old alcohol and a Q-Tip. If you scratch through the surface coating you are going to introduce much more surface area for dirt or oxidation to occur.

Pull up I was thinking the same thing when I read the nail cleaning method......

I used some DeOxit 5 sprayed on a Q tip..... then a alcohol soaked toothpick to lightly scrub the two small contact points then a alcohol dipped QTip to remove the residue. Then a dry Qtip for insurance then I final wipe with a lint free towel. Visually inspected with a 8X loupe to insure it was clean and lint free.

I am no electronics expert in any sense of the word so does this sound like a good method every ten flights to ensure clean data links????

The Battery contacts are Gold plated over copper foil. The gold is very thin and should NEVER be scratched, even with a pencil eraser as this will greatly increase the oxidation of the contacts, once you are thru the gold it's down hill from there. Clean with an Alcohol soaked Q-Tip then a thin layer of contact enhancer like DeOxit Gold. The pins in the model should be lubed lightly with something like Tri-Flo and then also dabbed with some DeOxit.

Thanks RemE, It appears as if there are as many different ideas on the cleaning of these as there are ways to make a omelet.

Your method does sound easy enough ........ saves me getting a typewriter eraser :idea: and no more rubbing with a alcohol soaked toothpick.

It be nice if there was a owners manual like we have in we back automobiles owners manuals that give a guideline to general maintenance timing and methods. One that is manufacturer recommends so we all have a uniform way to do things. Things like contact cleaning times and methods, when to check fasteners, charging timing and methods when in use or not, specific suggestions on compass and IMU adjustment, etc... just the general do's and don'ts as a guide of sorts. Then if anyone wanted to stray from the prescribed procedures they most certainly could and possibly share their differences.

I have said many times I am not a RC modeler and besides the kids toys back in the 70's never fooled around with anything RC. I don't mess with much electronics repair or maintenance because at work if a component failed we hit it with CRC cleaners first and if that did not work we R&R'd the part as we did not have time to screw around with this stuff. We R&R'd it and sent those defective parts back to their suppliers.

All this stuff is new to me as I am sure it is to most who are entering this as a camera that flies rather than a flying camera. Will I learn... looks like I will have to if this is a part of the game. It would just be nice to have a general guide to follow.

Still having issues with P2V. Today I had it on all flight, even though I had clean the contacts. I conted it to the Assistant tonight and these photos below show the messages I got. Also I have notice that the "Percentage of life" and the "Discharge times" has changed dramatically since I last connected the Vision to Assistant. Since that time I have only used it twice, with 2 discharges for this battery. It's gone from 34 discharges and about 90% of life to 186 discharges and 38% of life left! So much for an "Intelligent battery".

As I'm now continually getting "Battery error" and also when connected to Assistant, "Not DJI Intelligent Battery", I'm getting peed off. I'm not getting proper telematary info while flying, but also the video screen on the flight app, has the battery error message blocking the video.

Has anyone managed to get a warranty repaire or replacement due to the dodgy data pin connectors?

8471674fe66c090dc5eed4d96dcf8ecf.jpg

f9e6c27321495d9e7f7122011538e479.jpg

Geert, that would be great if you have photos and video of the new power block install. I guess I'll need to do this, with the ongoing problems I've been having. The two small data pins seem to be sticking, when you push them in, sometimes the stick and don't return out. So looks like I'll need to order the new power block.

How difficult/easy was it to fit?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing