Intro from SE Qld Australia

Reaction score
Hi , I have been watching this forum since learning to fly a P4 over the last two years.

I'm part of a conservation group in SE Queensland Aus , monitoring the health of the mangroves around the islands of Southern Moreton Bay

We use Litchi Hub to plot missions that enable us to fly close to the mangrove fringe ( 7- 10 meters ) and at only 4m height . We are taking high res pics at one every 5m.

The learning curve has been pretty steep , we launch and land from a small boat , change batteries during missions and have used missions with the maximum number of waypoints allowed

I'm currently writing a manual that outlines our processes to enable other volunteers to do same with drones. ( up until now the Mangrove Watch programme has been done with video camera from boat)

Is there any one else out there doing this kind of monitoring ?

Would be good to hear

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: snowy23 and GFields
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. 👍

Reactions: snowy23 and GFields
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Hi There and welcome to the forum

I’m a certified RePL also in SEQ and not too far from the Southern Bay area. I find the whole concept of what you are doing quite interesting.

I do quite a bit of flying with P4 aircraft and Litchi waypoint missions and am currently the P.I.C. Of the weekly survey missions on the currently closed Tambourine Mt to Canungra Rd (The Goat Track as the locals call it) monitoring for slope movement and land slip while TMR secure the mountain side for reopening of the road later this year.

I don’t claim to be an absolute authority on waypoint missions but I am currently the “go to” guy within the company and the flights for the current job have certainly been a huge factor in making me up my game being essentially sideways down a mountain valley road while moving up and down a cliff face over terrain that varies wildly in elevation.

If you’d like to compare notes at any time please feel free to send me a private message here on the forum and I’ll shoot you a phone number. I’d be really interested to see what you are doing and the results you are getting.

Regards
Ari

G'day, and welcome from another new member in SE QLD. Very interested in what you are doing, and would be keen to chat more about how I can help. Due to the fortunate/unfortunate position of being retired medically from the military, I have been offering my drone flying and mapping services for free to people or organisations that can use the help. I have done some work for RSLs and am liaising with some rural communities to offer free mapping and crop analysis. I live in the Ipswich area, but travel throughout SE QLD weekly as I have the time available. Have flown for years with Litchi and DroneLink, and work with WebODM and QGiS for my mapping. Hold RePL sub 25kg. Please feel free to PM to discuss more.
Cheers
Troy

Last edited:

I’m a certified RePL also in SEQ and not too far from the Southern Bay area. I find the whole concept of what you are doing quite interesting.

I do quite a bit of flying with P4 aircraft and Litchi waypoint missions and am currently the P.I.C. Of the weekly survey missions on the currently closed Tambourine Mt to Canungra Rd (The Goat Track as the locals call it) monitoring for slope movement and land slip while TMR secure the mountain side for reopening of the road later this year.

I don’t claim to be an absolute authority on waypoint missions but I am currently the “go to” guy within the company and the flights for the current job have certainly been a huge factor in making me up my game being essentially sideways down a mountain valley road while moving up and down a cliff face over terrain that varies wildly in elevation.

If you’d like to compare notes at any time please feel free to send me a private message here on the forum and I’ll shoot you a phone number. I’d be really interested to see what you are doing and the results you are getting.

Regards
Ari
Hi Ari
Thanks for your interest
As an avid adventure motorcyclist I know the 'Goat Track' well.
Our mangrove monitoring involves same.. flying side-on to subject .. and close ( 7m ) , over long distances , and from a boat !
As we plot our flight path from Google Earth and have to come in close to get a full frame photo we are aware of the inaccuracies of GE as sometimes the images are quite old, and trees have grown , branches have fallen ( have to thank crash avoidance on a couple of occasions ) Would just love some optical zoom !!
Please send # and I'll respond
Would be good to talk.
Cheers
TP

Regards
Ari

Hi Ari
Thanks for your interest
As an avid adventure motorcyclist I know the 'Goat Track' well.
Our mangrove monitoring involves same.. flying side-on to subject .. and close ( 7m ) , over long distances , and from a boat !
As we plot our flight path from Google Earth and have to come in close to get a full frame photo we are aware of the inaccuracies of GE as sometimes the images are quite old, and trees have grown , branches have fallen ( have to thank crash avoidance on a couple of occasions ) Would just love some optical zoom !!
Please send # and I'll respond
Would be good to talk.
Cheers
TP
Received your conversation link and have replied.

Regards
Ari

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers