Intermittent RC Signal loss - Video stays Good

Reaction score
Hi, I am having a few strange problems with my P3S. When flying manually, when I get to about 60ft distance there is a signal loss between the drone and the RC. In the end RTC is triggered and the drone returns, but is reluctant to give me back control to carry out the landing! I thought it may be an aerial position problem, but playing around with the angle of the aerial didn't change things.
The next day, in a completely different location I flew a Litchi orbit mission. The orbit was about 150ft away. When I tried to end the mission guess what?! no control. I still had video control, but the orbit mission would not end. I noticed the RC signal strength on the iPad Litchi display was zero, but cannot recall the colour of the light on the RC. Therefore I had to wait for the battery to run down and let the auto RTH bring the drone back.
On both occasions I have been in open country miles from any buildings - UK.
I have been a regular flyer since October 2016 and this has never happened before.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Hi, I am having a few strange problems with my P3S. When flying manually, when I get to about 60ft distance there is a signal loss between the drone and the RC. In the end RTC is triggered and the drone returns, but is reluctant to give me back control to carry out the landing! I thought it may be an aerial position problem, but playing around with the angle of the aerial didn't change things.
The next day, in a completely different location I flew a Litchi orbit mission. The orbit was about 150ft away. When I tried to end the mission guess what?! no control. I still had video control, but the orbit mission would not end. I noticed the RC signal strength on the iPad Litchi display was zero, but cannot recall the colour of the light on the RC. Therefore I had to wait for the battery to run down and let the auto RTH bring the drone back.
On both occasions I have been in open country miles from any buildings - UK.
I have been a regular flyer since October 2016 and this has never happened before.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
How does it fly without using Litchi?

Sounds like a hardware issue either in the AC or RC. Do you know someone with a P3S controller? Swap it out and see what happens.

I'm also wondering if your S1 switch is bad.

My ps3 started doing the same thing after a firmware update. After talking to people here, I think we’ve discovered that a chip is burned out on the AC that switches between 2 antennas. There is a thread with a fix on it. I’m gonna try the fix this weekend.

The thread is ‘Phantom 3 standard range mod, let’s do it together’ on this page. Read the thread and see if that’s sounds like yours. I went from 5000’range to less than 200’. After reading the thread, I did another test flight and watched the signal strength. It would bounce around from 99% - 40% - 98%- 0%. It was all over the place. It would initiate RTH then if the signal strength increased, I could take over the AC. It would lose it again, RTH, let me take over, on and on.

My ps3 started doing the same thing after a firmware update. After talking to people here, I think we’ve discovered that a chip is burned out on the AC that switches between 2 antennas. There is a thread with a fix on it. I’m gonna try the fix this weekend.
I read about this theory, too. I never flew very far after purchasing my P3S. Anything beyond 600 feet and I can't see it. Soon after one of the firmware updates I started losing signal at shorter distances. My controller tested out fine, so I sent everything in to DJI. They replaced the main board free of charge and sent me a new controller as well. It's essentially a new AC.

The thread is ‘Phantom 3 standard range mod, let’s do it together’ on this page. Read the thread and see if that’s sounds like yours. I went from 5000’range to less than 200’. After reading the thread, I did another test flight and watched the signal strength. It would bounce around from 99% - 40% - 98%- 0%. It was all over the place. It would initiate RTH then if the signal strength increased, I could take over the AC. It would lose it again, RTH, let me take over, on and on.
That's exactly what mine was doing. I started screen recordings and could see the bars went from 4 to zero. And when I would analyze the data on AIRDATA UAV, I had 100% signal the whole time. It never got weak, just disappeared.

This sounds exactly like it.

Sounds like a hardware issue either in the AC or RC. Do you know someone with a P3S controller? Swap it out and see what happens.

I'm also wondering if your S1 switch is bad.

My brother is sending me his spare RC and so I'll see if that is the problem. I read part of the chat on "Phantom 3 Standard Range mod: let's do it together", but it is a mighty long thread and I am not sure that it is a burnt out chip. I have had the controller and aircraft sitting on a table and monitored the RC signal. It stays at 100% for ages and then drops suddenly to zero for a second and then back to 100%. There is no pattern at all to it. I have stripped down the RC and aircraft and found nothing to suggest a loose connection.
I haven't tried flying it none-Litchi, but I have monitored the RC signal with both Litchi and DJI Go separately and they seem to be both the same.....
Confident S1 switch is OK.

Definitely not a Litchi thing. I tried flying both programmes (Litchi and DJI Go) this morning and the problem persists on both. I do not have Litchi and DJI Go running on the same platform and so there isn't a confliction problem. The drone reaches about 50 feet height or distance and the RC strength starts to diminish. By about 100 feet it's zero.

I have the exact same problem with my P3 standard. I purchased Litchi just to get some flying done using the waypoints because even while my remote signal is gone the video feed is still perfect. The only down side is that I can't control the gimbal while the rc signal is lost but atleast I can get some good range flying.

im having the same issue except lost signal message an I have tried relinking but message still comes back on litchi app an the disconnects too im only out about 2000ft when it says that an my antenna is pointed straight up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.