Intellegent battery not so smart?

Reaction score
I just received my P3P and tried to charge the battery. It shows 2 green bars and tries to charge. The green bars light in sequence from left to right along with the orange circular button. Goes through the process about 2 or the times (2 to 4 seconds) and then stops. All lights are out. After about 3 seconds the process starts again for the same length of time going in a continuous loop. After about 14 hours the battery achieved full charge. I checked the obvious, connector on properly, changed outlets, tried powering the battery on then connecting charger, all with the same results. Any suggestions?

Whaaaa! I want to fly! :(
I saw one issue where someone was trying this and the batter would not charge. The work around was to cycle the batter on and off while plugged into the charger and then the charging worked.
The other issue is that the bin file should remain on the sd card after an update for use by a battery in the event the smart battery needed the update. This is per a forum member who is a DJI support and tester person.

Hope this solves your issue-- worth a try before you send it back.

Reactions: Kevpain1
Thanks bopbmyers. I did the update last night and the txt file said it already had the most current update. I think I tried the battery cycling thing but I'll give it another shot. I ordered my P3P with the extra battery and it's on it's way. Hopefully I'll have that one while I send this one back. I guess since it is a LIPO battery they cannot send them by air and ship by USPS select 3 day. Hurry up and wait. ;)

Reactions: Kevpain1
Good luck! Post your results-- when you get the new battery
Cheers!

OK. Just received the second battery and I have the same results. It's been on the charger over an hour, seems to charge for 2 seconds and then shuts completely off then starts again. Still has only 2 bars. I doubt it is the batteries. I'm thinking more on the lines of a faulty charger?

Could be the charger, however, the only thing the charger does in put out straight 17.5 volts into the battery, the electronics in the cap on the battery distributes that voltage to each cell balancing the charge. Test the charger voltage and see if it has a constant 17.5 volt output. If it is lower than that or inconsistent, then the charger is the culprit.

Well the charger is a constant 17.5 volts. Battery is still doing the same. 3.5 hours and it's gotten from 2 bars to 3 bars. Charges for 1 to 1.5 seconds, shuts off, stays off for 3 seconds and starts all over. I just can't believe 2 different batteries from 2 different batches (tags are way different) are yielding the same results. My gut tells me it's operator error but how can plugging a battery into a charger be so difficult? It only goes on one way!

Force the charge.
Plug in the battery and power it on like as if its been plugged into the phantom.

Isn't this normal? With all my P2s - P2V and V+, the light sequence went from left to right in accordance with how full the battery was. Like this;

left LED only flashing - charged up to 25%
left LED lights followed by second to left then all go out and repeat - charged up to 50%
Left LED lights, followed by centre left, then centre right, then all out - charged up to 75%
All four LEDS light up in sequence then go out again - charged up to 100%

All lights remain blank - battery fully charged.

Perhaps it was just me but, "left to right"? This could be any direction depending on how the battery is held. Correct way to describe would be in relationship to the power button.

Perhaps it was just me but, "left to right"? This could be any direction depending on how the battery is held. Correct way to describe would be in relationship to the power button.
Isn't just you.

Mine is from the L to R power button one way and R to L from the power button if it is rotated.:D
O well- the darn battery should have a volt gauge on it-- after all it is smarter than we are:p

What does the App say about the status when the battery in in the Phantom and connected?

Last edited:
Well the charger is a constant 17.5 volts. Battery is still doing the same. 3.5 hours and it's gotten from 2 bars to 3 bars. Charges for 1 to 1.5 seconds, shuts off, stays off for 3 seconds and starts all over. I just can't believe 2 different batteries from 2 different batches (tags are way different) are yielding the same results. My gut tells me it's operator error but how can plugging a battery into a charger be so difficult? It only goes on one way!

I was thinking I had seen something about charging batteries for the first time, but I can't seem to find any special info. When I got my P3P and battery, it was roughly 50% charged already. I *think* the charging went rather normally. When I received my second battery the other day, it was also charged approximately 50% and I think it charged normally as well.

Before I sent the battery back, I would attempt to discharge it to something like 20% - turn on the controller and the P3 and let everything just sit there. Alternatively, you could discharge it by turning everything on, then, in the pilot app, select the battery icon and choose "1 day" for discharge in the option area at the bottom of the battery window.

If you don't get much joy there *then* I would return the battery for an exchange.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Tried all the "battery power on", plug and unplug charger, etc. For those of you who are asking about battery orientation, the bars light farthest from the power switch and progress to the power switch. Pilot App shows battery is 100% charged. Had my first flight yesterday and ran battery down to about 30%. Hoping this would trip the "intelligent" part of the battery to kick in, it did not. Put it on the charger with same results. Bars lit in sequence moving toward power switch, did this 2 or 3 times, lights go off, power switch goes off. It then takes about 2 to 3 seconds for the battery to regain it's composure (all lights out) power light comes on and starts to charge for 1 or 2 bar scrolls and then shuts down. It just took 12+ hours of this cycling to fully recharge the battery. Will try again today with second battery.

The battery instruction manual says "Never leave charging battery unattended". People are beginning to complain while I watch my battery charge for 12 hours!

because you're seeing it with 2 batteries I would suspect the brick... anyway you can borrow one from someone and try a different charger?

You are letting the battery cool down before charging after a flight? My second flight wanted to fly again right away and plugged in battery was warm but did not know it must cool down before charging. There are instructions and what each sequence of flashing lights mean and that is how I found out the battery was charging too hot ie after a flight. I now put battery in fridge to cool before charging.

The battery saga continues ........ Thank you again for all your responses and suggestions.
I finally talked to a real DJI person on their support phone line (just about an hour wait) and explained the situation. Since the controller charges correctly the rep had no hesitation with a faulty battery diagnoses. I asked her if this was a common problem and she said it was not unheard of and was not just a fluke. I am surprised there are not others on this forum that have had at least ONE battery exhibit this issue and that I was lucky enough to get two in a row. I am sending them back separately so that I can at least fly (every 15 to 20 hours or so) until the replacement arrives.

Just a heads up. The battery only has a 3 month warranty so if you have any battery issues whatsoever to get them replaced before the warranty is up.

Final entry.
After finally locating a P3P charger locally I was able to charge my battery on it with no problem. When connecting it to my supplied charger, same old story. It was the charger all along. My dealer exchanged it for a new one and battery charging is as it should be. I only wish I had not sent my second battery to DJI repair. It is in the 6 to 8 week black hole and an email to them yielded nothing but another form letter saying a technician would look at it as soon as possible. I just want it back. :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic