Installing LED lights in Phantoms

Reaction score
Hi,

Would like to find out if anyone has issues e.g. shorter battery life span, issues related to battery etc. after installing LED lights on their Phantoms?

Thanks
Phantom LED light.jpg

You can work out reduction in flying times easily by computing the volt amp hrs consumed by the LED lights. Or give me the LED ratings, I can work out approx reduction in flying minutes.

Unfortunately, I do not have the LED rating or the technical specs and neither is the seller. It comes with 1 LED light and 1 Reduction Voltage Module. Was informed it's low power consumption.

Unfortunately, I do not have the LED rating or the technical specs and neither is the seller. It comes with 1 LED light and 1 Reduction Voltage Module. Was informed it's low power consumption.
We can't calculate any values without having technical specs of the lamp.

I have noticed nothing different. I have a headlamp on my Phantom just like the photo. I've read the battery drain is negligible when adding LED lights. I haven't noticed any difference. However, the lamp does get awfully hot, so it's definitely consuming some power!

Reactions: Nigel Yong
A simple multimeter would do. Just measure the voltage and current.

Yea, there's so many variables that a few LEDs don't play a meaningful role in overall flight times.

LEDs are current controlled devices. A good rule of thumb is about 20ma per LED (just an estimate) plus the step-down device used.

That head lamp led actually has 24 LEDs on it if it's like mine.

Just sayin'
Power LEDs consume more than 20 mA to generate a bright light. If we assume each needs 40 mA, your lamp consumes 40*24= 960 mA that is almost 1 Amp at about 1.5 V, consuming 2.5 watts. Voltage step down circuit may have efficiency of say 60%, so your consumption is about 2.5/0.6 = 4.2W

It will consume 4.2 * 0.3 = 1.26 WHr in 20 minutes
Battery is rated for 4.8*15.2 = 72.96 WHr

LED load % = 1.26/72.96= 1.73% which is insignificant

In short adding that LED lamp will shorten flight time by 1.73% = 0.4 minutes

It will not be noticeable at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31