Incorrect/ out of date no fly zones

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got a question some of you might have insight into. I went to fly my new Phantom 3 pretty much in my backyard, a new-ish condo development beside a massive piece of open land, only to find that the Phantom 3 said I was in a no-fly zone. I checked their map, which showed nothing. I was confused, and after further research I discovered that this development was built on top of an old military base that was decomissioned over 20 years ago and sold to the town, which decided to build condos and shopping areas.

So I have this amazing open place to fly, and can't fly here because this brand new piece of technology is out of date. Is there any possible way around this? It's obvious DJI just pulled mass data from some kind of database. What's a guy to do?

Thanks.

Now that really stinks! :confused: -- I doubt that you will have any luck in getting that changed. It is locked up in the bureaucracy lockbox:( which will outlive all of us.

I don't know if it would have any effect but about all you can do is to follow this from DJI's Fly Safe page...
If you have any questions or suggestions about this function or the No FLY Zones list, feel free to send us an email. [email protected]
Give them the location and suggest that checking Google Earth should help clear this up.

Learn to fly in manual mode.

Hey everyone, I've got a question some of you might have insight into. I went to fly my new Phantom 3 pretty much in my backyard, a new-ish condo development beside a massive piece of open land, only to find that the Phantom 3 said I was in a no-fly zone. I checked their map, which showed nothing. I was confused, and after further research I discovered that this development was built on top of an old military base that was decomissioned over 20 years ago and sold to the town, which decided to build condos and shopping areas.

So I have this amazing open place to fly, and can't fly here because this brand new piece of technology is out of date. Is there any possible way around this? It's obvious DJI just pulled mass data from some kind of database. What's a guy to do?

Thanks.

Glenview NAS? I don't have any suggestions, other than contact DJI with the error and then find a witch to cast a spell because I'm sure DJI won't do a thing. I can't fly at my house either because I'm in the D.C. No-fly. Manual mode doesn't work.

So the map in the DJI app didn't have a red circle around your area but still said in other terms it was a no fly zone when you tried?

The map didn't actually get to the point of loading in the DJI app before it said no fly zone. I checked the no fly section of the DJI website and it was not listed there. So the website map is not lining up with what the app actually allows.

There is no manual mode for the P3 series

Bummer. Yet another reason to not buy one.
So tape some foil over the GPS antenna.

I thought that was what ATTI mode was basically?
No .. atti mode still has all the technological help except GPS position hold - but the GPS would still report that the P3 is in a no-fly zone.
Manual mode is something from the earlier P2s etc and makes the quadcopter quite difficult to fly as it's up to the pilot to handle all the things the technology usually does for you.

Bummer. Yet another reason to not buy one.
Another??
I still haven't found one.

There is a YT video were a DJI rep is doing a demo of the vision system. In order to demonstrate he covers top of P3 with Aluminum Foil. This completely blocks GPS. Not suggesting this is a good solution but it would allow you to fly albeit without all the benefits of GPS.

My bad, I didn't mean control, but for FPV I like using the Hero4 because it gives me the option of using the Hero4 off the Phantom. Plus there is a FLIR imager coming that is in the footprint of the Hero4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.