Image Stitching

Reaction score
Hello, I am still new to the image creation and was hoping to learn more about image stitching... First, what exactly is it and why would you want to do it? Secondly, what program do most people use to get it done.

Thanks for the help!

Hello, I am still new to the image creation and was hoping to learn more about image stitching... First, what exactly is it and why would you want to do it? Secondly, what program do most people use to get it done.
When the scene you want to capture is too big to do it with a single image, you can shoot several overlapping images and stitch them into a panorama.
Like this ... made from 20 individual images:
DJI_0306-364b-X3.jpg

Or for mapping projects, you use different software and bigger overlaps to create orthophoto maps of large areas like this map of 120 acres created from 400 images.
8623_Sancus%20ortho_sm-X3.jpg

Ahh, thank you very much. What software do you use to accomplish this?

Ahh, thank you very much. What software do you use to accomplish this?
I use Microsoft ICE and Kolor Autopano Giga to stitch photos and Agisoft for mapping.

Here's an example of how multiple images can be stitched to create a very big image of a very big view:
i-q5H3BqK-X3.jpg

DJI_0599-644a-X3.jpg

I use PT Gui for Spherical panos and either Lightroom or Photoshop for simpler ones. Hugin can also be used and its free if you aren’t on a Windows PC and don’t have access to ICE. There is a bit of a learning curve with PTGui and Hugin.

Reactions: Red Oak
I use PTGui for all of my stitching projects. For commercial customers I have a whole workflow that starts with FastStone, passes through Lightroom, gets stitched in PTGui, finished in PhotoShop, and finalized in Paint.Net. Each tool along the way makes the final product appear more and more like a single very high resolution picture. For personal use I just use Lightroom, PTGui, and sometimes PhotoShop depending on the number of stitching errors.

Where PTGui shines is when it comes to fixing stitching errors. The Pro version allows you to reduce almost any stitching error to something manageable which can then be completely fixed in PhotoShop. Drones, wind, and photo stitching is just not a combination that was ever meant to be; so it takes a lot of work to turn a stitched pano into a commercially viable product.

Reactions: Red Oak
I use Microsoft ICE and Kolor Autopano Giga to stitch photos and Agisoft for mapping.

Here's an example of how multiple images can be stitched to create a very big image of a very big view:
i-q5H3BqK-X3.jpg

DJI_0599-644a-X3.jpg
Wow

-I recommend PhotoViewerPro. It is working very nice, without any bugs and it is really easy to use, and it's even free!

I use PTGUI Pro. I shoot a lot of spherical panoramas so it's been worth it for me.

For spherical panoramas I've found that bracketing exposures is essential, and I like the way that PTGUI and Photomatix handle that for me.

See the results here:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik