If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

I didn't get it.
Like this:

Or like this

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420945992.336338.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420945992.336338.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 515
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420946042.121667.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420946042.121667.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 523

So if someone has a new phantom with this insulation/solder problem how long would one have to fly the unit before the quad would crater? Are you talking one flight? Two flights in a row? Three flights/batteries in a row? In other words, if you are past a certain amount of flights without any problems are you in the clear?

MrC said:
Interesting. So the motor winding wire has a clear coating on it which insulates it and if not properly removed around the soldering end could make for a bad connection at the solder point. And is resistant to the heat of the iron. Have you tried to remove with acetone?
Could it be this simple? I hope so.

So, do you think the esc's are ok?

Who knows.... The 2.0 run too hot at idle to be great. More testing and more failures and we may be able to put it all together.
Eltrochaphantom said:
I didn't get it.
Like this:

Or like this

Then how did you get them?

I meant like I don't know. I didn't understand the situation. Could u explain it s little bit easier pls

MapMaker53 said:

Well worth to bookmark! Thanks for this link. Just what the Dr. ordered.

Now big dilemma... Go with the Phantom 2+ V3.x or wait for a GoPro? But then again, that may be 2 years waiting (next year when it goes public, another year to work the bugs out of a new system)...

Great read BTW, too bad GoPro declined to comment on the topic.

Michael

Eltrochaphantom said:
I meant like I don't know. I didn't understand the situation. Could u explain it s little bit easier pls

The top picture shows the extremely high temp insulating wire, with its coating. The bottom pic shows pre-tinned motor leads.

If the person on the assembly line producing/assembling these Visions is given a batch of motors without having the clear insulation fully removed, the only contact with the electricity will be through the cut end of the magnetic wire. This would pass all quality control checks and would operate properly before it fell out of the sky.

The lack of surface area will cause it to over heat right at the solder joint and lift off the board. The whole wire should be getting hot if this was not the case. The failure point has showed itself time and time again right at the solder joint or on the fets that are close enough to the heat source to be effected.

We need someone with a failed unit to send me there motor leads and esc without removing the motor leads from the solder and let me examine them. I can remove them and remove the solder and check for proper tinning and solder adhesion. Or perhaps someone that has had this happen can simply take an ohm meter and test this joint for resistance.

Strip back the insulation on the failed motor lead and remove the clear insulating layer. Then measure the resistance from the solder ball of the failed lead back to the exposed stripped insulation area. We just need a measurement in ohm to determine if this is indeed a cold joint caused by installation error.

I think for now I just might sit on the fence and watch my Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 drift about aimlessly until GoPro launches something special for us in 9 months time! Maybe by that time, DJI will wake up and smell the roses, price their units accordingly ($350us - $650us). They are sure price gauging many, unfortunately willingly too.

If GoPro can state they are targeting for $500us - $1,000us, I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts that they also plan a preemptive strike such as higher picture quality on a nano card (64GB capacity?)! Retractable landing gear, so their gimbal can rotate 360 deg. I think there will be an industry shakedown (or take down) coming soon. I can wait 9-10 months (Merry Christmas!). I just hope GoPro does not follow the route that Parrot took, and issue a drone without a controller, like Parrot has. Sure it keeps the cost down, but it does sucks when they can not figure how to partner with Apple DEV to work out their iOS 8.1 issues.

Sure DJI has some wonderful ideas such as to limit flying near or around active airports, but then again this is not propitiatory information. It's Public Domain. And with the exception of how DJI has incorporated this information into their firmware, a simple walk around for GoPro to incorporate this wouldn't be too difficult, I figure.

I'd rather drop my money with a company that a) has outstanding Customer Service and b) a company that has outstanding Quality Control!!! (The latter is where I lean towards more so).

Great bunch of guys on this forum! A pleasure making your acquaintance, but I think I have seen too many damaged goods here. Best wishes and my fingers are crossed that your drone will not be the next to fall from the skies!

P.S. I wonder if someone from DJI understands what I just wrote! (Would they even care?)...

Michael

burlbark said:
I found an issue guys. This may be the cause of so much of the grief. :(

The high temperature windings on the new motors does not burn off by soldering alone. I needed to use map gas and get the motor power leads glowing orange to remove the insulation. I had to physically scrape the copper wire after heating it to 2000 degrees.

If DJI is simply clipping these motor leads and soldering them down without removing the clear magnetic wire insulation they are causing an area of high resistance and results in massive heat buildup at the solder point. The only contact point would be the clipped power lead end.

This may be the reason why we have seen the broken leads at the fets and why the flexible wire fix alleviated this problem for customers.
This speculation is not in line with the factory soldering shown on the numerous esc pictures posted on this forum.

Well finally got a reply from DJI about the esc/motor issue.
Take a look how case is marked solved and closed yet read
At what their reaction is. Pffff

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (77897) has been solved. Please submit a new request if you have any further questions.

M. R.
M. R. (DJI Technology)
Jan 10 21:09

Dear Hani,

Thank you for contacting DJI North America.

We would be happy to assist you.

Regarding the issue that you are describing, we have not collected enough data to be able to offer an assessment. While we are aware of a handful of complaints made by users on various forums, our engineers have not had to issue repairs for this problem on a large enough scale to consider it a widespread issue, as we certainly have more users that are flying their units without experiencing trouble than we have users sending units to us for repair.

However, you can rest assured that if their is a discernible defect found with any Phantom units, our Repair Team will be available to correct any damaged units.

As of now, we are taking all Phantom issues on a case by case basis and will be happy to assist you if you experience any technical difficulties.

If you require any further assistance, you may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.

Please note we have changed our phone service to include authorized dealers. If you wish to contact DJI directly please press option 5 after you choose "Repair" or "Technical Support."

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

DJI Customer Service North America

This email is a service from DJI Technology. Delivered by Zendesk.
Message-Id:9S3CBM24_54b2059a3addd_52f43ff5140cd408182546d_sprutTicket-Id:77897

Their slogan should be changed from "The Future of Possible!", to "The Future of Possible Crashes!"

hunch said:
Well finally got a reply from DJI about the esc/motor issue.
Take a look how case is marked solved and closed yet read
At what their reaction is. Pffff

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (77897) has been solved. Please submit a new request if you have any further questions.

M. R.
M. R. (DJI Technology)
Jan 10 21:09

Dear Hani,

Thank you for contacting DJI North America.

We would be happy to assist you.

Regarding the issue that you are describing, we have not collected enough data to be able to offer an assessment. While we are aware of a handful of complaints made by users on various forums, our engineers have not had to issue repairs for this problem on a large enough scale to consider it a widespread issue, as we certainly have more users that are flying their units without experiencing trouble than we have users sending units to us for repair.

However, you can rest assured that if their is a discernible defect found with any Phantom units, our Repair Team will be available to correct any damaged units.

As of now, we are taking all Phantom issues on a case by case basis and will be happy to assist you if you experience any technical difficulties.

If you require any further assistance, you may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.

Please note we have changed our phone service to include authorized dealers. If you wish to contact DJI directly please press option 5 after you choose "Repair" or "Technical Support."

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

DJI Customer Service North America

This email is a service from DJI Technology. Delivered by Zendesk.
Message-Id:9S3CBM24_54b2059a3addd_52f43ff5140cd408182546d_sprutTicket-Id:77897

The craziest thing I've noticed about their online support is that as soon as they respond to you, they mark it "solved" and you can't add anything to it. Instead you have to create a new case. I've never seen that before. And it says a lot about their customer service.

As for their comments, sure they may be only aware of a limited number of cases versus the whole population, but what percentage of people flying are aware of possible issues like we are? If someone hasn't been on these forums lately has a freak accident, they might chalk it up to something they Did and DJI would just note that they repaired a crashed phantom.

I wonder how many it will take
Thanks for posting that up.

I have a Phantom 1 since April 2014. I have flown it many times. It flies great. I have been wanting to upgrade to a more sophisticated model but with all the problems you guys are having I haven't. I just ordered another Phantom 1 because it was on sale for $379 . I want to have fun and not be posting here how my expensive quad took a dump. I really feel for you. Maybe someday they will get the problems sorted out. Until then I will keep it simple.

knowonecares said:
How about a Hubsan with a Parachute?

There are parachute systems already on the market for quads and thought it might be an interesting option for my Phantom, but the mounting position would have to be over the GPS antenna and I think that would interfere with satellite acquisition. I also don't know what triggers the chute, but looks like it works well based on the videos. http://www.marsparachutes.com/

aartsf said:
burlbark said:
I found an issue guys. This may be the cause of so much of the grief. :(

The high temperature windings on the new motors does not burn off by soldering alone. I needed to use map gas and get the motor power leads glowing orange to remove the insulation. I had to physically scrape the copper wire after heating it to 2000 degrees.

If DJI is simply clipping these motor leads and soldering them down without removing the clear magnetic wire insulation they are causing an area of high resistance and results in massive heat buildup at the solder point. The only contact point would be the clipped power lead end.

This may be the reason why we have seen the broken leads at the fets and why the flexible wire fix alleviated this problem for customers.
This speculation is not in line with the factory soldering shown on the numerous esc pictures posted on this forum.

Oh please..... You think you can determine if the high temp insulation has been removed when its encapsulated in a ball of solder? :roll:

Clearly this would not explain all errors but it can account for much of this.

Here is a what a solder connection looks like with the high temp magnetic wire insulation still in place. This joint shows full continuity but can only handle a couple of amps before it begins to heat up and fail.

I am not saying this is the cause of all failures but the heat that I have been seeing has been concentrated at this joint.

Attachments

• escwithnoinsulation 001.JPG
    escwithnoinsulation 001.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 524

Hey burlbark I sent back my vision plus V3.0 last week, and this week or next week I will hunt down a vision plus with the V2.1 escs. I was just wondering with the new v2.1 escs if you still recommend changing the wire to a larger gauge and if so what method are you using? Are you sleeving the wire and using silver solder after you cut the winding an inch from the motor? Also what temp. is the insulation of the shielding rated at that you recommend? A brief description would be greatly appreciated. :)

jasonb777 said:
Hey burlbark I sent back my vision plus V3.0 last week, and this week or next week I will hunt down a vision plus with the V2.1 escs. I was just wondering with the new v2.1 escs if you still recommend changing the wire to a larger gauge and if so what method are you using? Are you sleeving the wire and using silver solder after you cut the winding an inch from the motor? Also what temp. is the insulation of the shielding rated at that you recommend? A brief description would be greatly appreciated. :)

I recommend cutting the wire as close to the motor as you dare.

Heating and physically removing 1/4"-1/3" of the magnetic wire high temp insulation, this is not to be confused with the colored shrink wrap. It is very difficult to remove it cleanly and not leave areas prone to fracturing. So dont scrape it with a knife deeply.

Plunging that 1/4" of exposed wire into the end of some fine braided pure copper wire and flowing solder into the end securing it permanently.

Cover your joint with shrink tubing like I have shown in the pics.

Now there will be no hard anchor point to the esc and the wire should handle everything that can be thrown at it. There also will be no second guessing whether the motor leads are clean of insulation where they are soldered to the esc's.

I emailed DJI in HK I think as reply was broken english. They basically said aware of issue and to use 2.1 ESC...sounds like you were dealing with a US or EU division?

Prylar Bek said:
JetDoc said:
Good day all!!!

I'm considering investing in a P2V+V3, for a few potential business ideas I came up with. I've been researching the competitions models and found that actually the V3 would best suit my needs for the project I'm wanting to launch.

But first a bit about my background. I've been in corporate aviation for over 20 years and I'm currently an airworthiness inspector, A&P - I/A for a corporate jet company in Savannah GA. I'm well aware of the quality process and the overwhelming hurdles associated in mass production. However, I'm completely at a loss for words when it comes to DJI's unwillingness it seems coming strictly from an 'outside looking in' prospective. From what I've read thus far DJI refuses to take ownership in their oversight of the reported problems w/ the wire routing over the ECM heat sinks, the ventilation of their broadband circuit boards, and I've seen some reports about incorrectly terminated coax connectors causing potential loss or damage to their units. What I've also failed to see, based on my short research, which I also find alarming, is any statements from any dealers voicing concerns. In my business, if I unearthed a deficiency of this nature, a few phone calls would trigger a full production research, customers notification, and the effected units would be swiftly grounded by the end of that day, until a repair matrix was established and carried out to satisfactorily address each and every unit. Granted when lives are on the line these necessary steps are mandated to keep air travel a safe place industry wide. But I find it astonishing DJI has decided to remain silent and not face these quality issues and rise to the occasion. I'm fortunate to say that the company I work for, spends millions a year and strives diligently, to remain at the top of the industry in regards to customer service and have established a customer satisfaction rating that the competitors all fight to top. That being said, with the release of GoPros intentions of releasing a version of a hi-def quadcopter, one would think DJI would rise to this occasion to assert itself as an industry leader in BOTH their products and service after the sale...

But so much for my rant... It's great to be on this site, Have any of you considered voicing your customer service concerns on YouTube? I posted mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3E4CPPz32c

I really hate the fact of setting my projects to the side until this blows over, would any of you know of a reputable dealer that might be able to check for the appropriate updated mods prior to shipping them out?

Kind regards,
Chopper

Justin Davis from DroneCamp is a very honorable person and has great knowledge on these birds. Howwever, I doubt even he will start opening up brand new V3 Quads to check for all the updates. Try him. He's stand up guy!

+1 on Dronecamp.com. In November I ordered v3 Motors, ESCs, and Compass Strut form Justin over the phone after he answered all questions I had concerning the hardware. The ESCs were on backorder, but he told me that straight out. I received the rest of the order within a few days, and the ESCs a few weeks later. The ESCs were marked V2.1

Attachments

• ESC V2_1.jpg
    ESC V2_1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 404

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor