If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

People look at this. This was another person in another topic

Following the discussions here I decided to check my P2 v2 (And register on this site after lurking for quite some time). And discovered the ESC's did not have the V2.0 marked on the label.
I contacted my supplier, who contacted DJI Technical Support, they advised that late 2014 the P2 v2 were supplied with ESC v2 which did not have the V2.0 marked, only the separately ordered ESC v2 had the V2 marked.
They said that the ESC will have a Blue mark on the Capacitor to indicate a v2. DJI also advised them that no way was the v2 supplied with 2312 motors and NOT the ESC V2.0

Email from them;
"According to DJI Technical support, they informed us that when the production line first manufacture the Phantom 2 V2.0, they did not mark V2.0 on the ESC. The V2.0 ESC has short Blue line mark on the Capacitor (we mark a red circle on the pic) and they use that to separate the new and old ESC."

There seems to be some confusion because the sale of replacement ESC's which have the V2 marked, but the factory fitted ESC may not have the V2 marked, (just a pen mark on the capacitor).

VE5MDH said:
ELHEAPO said:
if you open up your phantom and lift the 3 wires from the mosfets are you risking your warranty??

steve

Steve, it has been well documented by many others earlier on this thread that by either peeling back, or cutting through the red stickers to gain access into the Phantom does NOT void your warranty. People are doing this to REDUCE the risk of fire or damage inside the unit, which has the potential of causing property damage or injury to others.

Once I receive my own (as I do not own a Phantom 2 Vision+ at the time of this entry), the very first thing I shall do is to open it (2mm Hex Allen Key & 00 Phillips driver) to lift these 3 single stranded coated wires up from the PCB!!! There are many well photographed images of how the end result should look like! Well worth the time to read from page one.

Way too many images of either melted wires or cooked circuitry. You are NOT tampering with any internals (removing solder, modifying components, etc.) you are just ensuring your copter is as safe as it can be for the general public (Human or Animal) and property (Public or Private) around where you are flying your craft.

Michael

Thanks for your advice greatly appreciated, as well as raising the cables would you seperate them too?

rbtNmke said:
im curious......has anyone added additional ventilation holes (above the esc) and enlarged the lower vents??? this quad is completely enclosed, it cant be helping the situation. thoughts?
anyone??? :)

Good day all!!!

I'm considering investing in a P2V+V3, for a few potential business ideas I came up with. I've been researching the competitions models and found that actually the V3 would best suit my needs for the project I'm wanting to launch.

But first a bit about my background. I've been in corporate aviation for over 20 years and I'm currently an airworthiness inspector, A&P - I/A for a corporate jet company in Savannah GA. I'm well aware of the quality process and the overwhelming hurdles associated in mass production. However, I'm completely at a loss for words when it comes to DJI's unwillingness it seems (coming strictly from an 'outside looking in' prospective), to address their quality issues. From what I've read thus far DJI refuses to take ownership in their oversight of the reported problems w/ the wire routing over the ECM heat sinks, the ventilation of their broadband circuit boards, and I've seen some reports about incorrectly terminated coax connectors causing potential loss or damage to their units. What I've also failed to see, based on my short research, which I also find alarming, is any statements from any dealers voicing concerns. In my business, if I unearthed a deficiency of this nature, a few phone calls would trigger a full production research, customers notification, and the effected units would be swiftly grounded by the end of that day, until a repair matrix was established and carried out to satisfactorily address each and every unit. Granted when lives are on the line these necessary steps are mandated to keep air travel a safe place industry wide. But I find it astonishing DJI has decided to remain silent and not face these quality issues and rise to the occasion. I'm fortunate to say that the company I work for, spends millions a year and strives diligently, to remain at the top of the industry in regards to customer service and have established a customer satisfaction rating that the competitors all fight to top. That being said, with the release of GoPros intentions of releasing a version of a hi-def quadcopter, one would think DJI would rise to this occasion to assert itself as an industry leader in BOTH their products and service after the sale...

But so much for my rant... It's great to be on this site, Have any of you considered voicing your customer service concerns on YouTube? I posted mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3E4CPPz32c

I really hate the fact of setting my projects to the side until this blows over, would any of you know of a reputable dealer that might be able to check for the appropriate updated mods prior to shipping them out?

Kind regards,
Chopper

JetDoc said:
Good day all!!!

I'm considering investing in a P2V+V3, for a few potential business ideas I came up with. I've been researching the competitions models and found that actually the V3 would best suit my needs for the project I'm wanting to launch.

But first a bit about my background. I've been in corporate aviation for over 20 years and I'm currently an airworthiness inspector, A&P - I/A for a corporate jet company in Savannah GA. I'm well aware of the quality process and the overwhelming hurdles associated in mass production. However, I'm completely at a loss for words when it comes to DJI's unwillingness it seems coming strictly from an 'outside looking in' prospective. From what I've read thus far DJI refuses to take ownership in their oversight of the reported problems w/ the wire routing over the ECM heat sinks, the ventilation of their broadband circuit boards, and I've seen some reports about incorrectly terminated coax connectors causing potential loss or damage to their units. What I've also failed to see, based on my short research, which I also find alarming, is any statements from any dealers voicing concerns. In my business, if I unearthed a deficiency of this nature, a few phone calls would trigger a full production research, customers notification, and the effected units would be swiftly grounded by the end of that day, until a repair matrix was established and carried out to satisfactorily address each and every unit. Granted when lives are on the line these necessary steps are mandated to keep air travel a safe place industry wide. But I find it astonishing DJI has decided to remain silent and not face these quality issues and rise to the occasion. I'm fortunate to say that the company I work for, spends millions a year and strives diligently, to remain at the top of the industry in regards to customer service and have established a customer satisfaction rating that the competitors all fight to top. That being said, with the release of GoPros intentions of releasing a version of a hi-def quadcopter, one would think DJI would rise to this occasion to assert itself as an industry leader in BOTH their products and service after the sale...

But so much for my rant... It's great to be on this site, Have any of you considered voicing your customer service concerns on YouTube? I posted mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3E4CPPz32c

I really hate the fact of setting my projects to the side until this blows over, would any of you know of a reputable dealer that might be able to check for the appropriate updated mods prior to shipping them out?

Kind regards,
Chopper

Justin Davis from DroneCamp is a very honorable person and has great knowledge on these birds. Howwever, I doubt even he will start opening up brand new V3 Quads to check for all the updates. Try him. He's stand up guy!

JetDoc said:
Good day all!!!

But first a bit about my background. I've been in corporate aviation for over 20 years and I'm currently an airworthiness inspector, A&P - I/A for a corporate jet company in Savannah GA. I'm well aware of the quality process and the overwhelming hurdles associated in mass production. However, I'm completely at a loss for words when it comes to DJI's unwillingness it seems (coming strictly from an 'outside looking in' prospective), to address their quality issues. From what I've read thus far DJI refuses to take ownership in their oversight of the reported problems w/ the wire routing over the ECM heat sinks, the ventilation of their broadband circuit boards, and I've seen some reports about incorrectly terminated coax connectors causing potential loss or damage to their units. What I've also failed to see, based on my short research, which I also find alarming, is any statements from any dealers voicing concerns. In my business, if I unearthed a deficiency of this nature, a few phone calls would trigger a full production research, customers notification, and the effected units would be swiftly grounded by the end of that day, until a repair matrix was established and carried out to satisfactorily address each and every unit. Granted when lives are on the line these necessary steps are mandated to keep air travel a safe place industry wide. But I find it astonishing DJI has decided to remain silent and not face these quality issues and rise to the occasion. I'm fortunate to say that the company I work for, spends millions a year and strives diligently, to remain at the top of the industry in regards to customer service and have established a customer satisfaction rating that the competitors all fight to top. That being said, with the release of GoPros intentions of releasing a version of a hi-def quadcopter, one would think DJI would rise to this occasion to assert itself as an industry leader in BOTH their products and service after the sale...

Kind regards,
Chopper

If these where passenger vehicles and class action suits where involved we would see more corrective actions from DJI. These are expensive toys built by a toy company. ;)

Eltrochaphantom said:

Following the discussions here I decided to check my P2 v2 (And register on this site after lurking for quite some time). And discovered the ESC's did not have the V2.0 marked on the label.
I contacted my supplier, who contacted DJI Technical Support, they advised that late 2014 the P2 v2 were supplied with ESC v2 which did not have the V2.0 marked, only the separately ordered ESC v2 had the V2 marked.
They said that the ESC will have a Blue mark on the Capacitor to indicate a v2. DJI also advised them that no way was the v2 supplied with 2312 motors and NOT the ESC V2.0

Email from them;
"According to DJI Technical support, they informed us that when the production line first manufacture the Phantom 2 V2.0, they did not mark V2.0 on the ESC. The V2.0 ESC has short Blue line mark on the Capacitor (we mark a red circle on the pic) and they use that to separate the new and old ESC."

There seems to be some confusion because the sale of replacement ESC's which have the V2 marked, but the factory fitted ESC may not have the V2 marked, (just a pen mark on the capacitor).

Yeah, I think that info they gave you is pretty much ********.

bluecap.jpg

VE5MDH said:
Prylar Bek said:
... I'll wait for the Gopro.

Prylar Bek, is GoPro entering the QuadCopter market? I've tried to google this with no sensible results.

If so, can someone share a link (or 2) as to where to research further information on this?

thanks in advance,

Michael
Announced at CES and article at WSJ

MacCool said:
Eltrochaphantom said:

Email from them;

Yeah, I think that info they gave you is pretty much ********.

bluecap.jpg
Who did the soldering on this ecs; doesn't look much like factory soldering. And how ended the soldering-drop on top of the picture near the sticker there; did that came this way off stock?

THIS JUST IN FROM DJI...
Thank you for your email.

We are sorry that you are experiencing this issue.

From your description, it seems like this is a manufacturing defect that you cannot troubleshoot on your own.

If you purchased this product from anywhere else besides store.dji.com, please seek an exchange or refund of your entire purchase from your dealer.

If your dealer refuses and/or cannot assist, please reply to this email or call our phone support team so we may begin the process of getting your product to our repair facility.

In regards to what? What are they responding to?

Prylar Bek said:
THIS JUST IN FROM DJI...

From your description, it seems like this is a manufacturing defect that you cannot troubleshoot on your own.

If you purchased this product from anywhere else besides store.dji.com, please seek an exchange or refund of your entire purchase from your dealer.

If your dealer refuses and/or cannot assist, please reply to this email or call our phone support team so we may begin the process of getting your product to our repair facility.

My supplier told me to fly til it dies so I did just that today.... I flew it for around ten minutes and then took the cover off straight away.... The images are the results. Its now going back for a replacement. Mine has V2 esc. Anyone out there still ignoring this problem really is kidding themselves. The red witre completely came off the solder as it had melted so badly at the end. It is worth pointing out that all three wires had been lifted off the circuit board. They are melting at the end of the cable now.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 442
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 441

rwskinner said:
In regards to what? What are they responding to?

Prylar Bek said:
THIS JUST IN FROM DJI...

The entire mismacth of my v3 with not having the correct ESC!! Its going for refund

Bymg said:
My supplier told me to fly til it dies so I did just that today.... I flew it for around ten minutes and then took the cover off straight away.... The images are the results. Its now going back for a replacement. Mine has V2 esc. Anyone out there still ignoring this problem really is kidding themselves. The red witre completely came off the solder as it had melted so badly at the end. It is worth pointing out that all three wires had been lifted off the circuit board. They are melting at the end of the cable now.....
yikes

I found an issue guys. This may be the cause of so much of the grief. :(

The high temperature windings on the new motors does not burn off by soldering alone. I needed to use map gas and get the motor power leads glowing orange to remove the insulation. I had to physically scrape the copper wire after heating it to 2000 degrees.

If DJI is simply clipping these motor leads and soldering them down without removing the clear magnetic wire insulation they are causing an area of high resistance and results in massive heat buildup at the solder point. The only contact point would be the clipped power lead end.

This may be the reason why we have seen the broken leads at the fets and why the flexible wire fix alleviated this problem for customers.

burlbark said:

The high temperature windings on the new motors does not burn off by soldering alone. I needed to use map gas and get the motor power leads glowing orange to remove the insulation. I had to physically scrape the copper wire after heating it to 2000 degrees.

If DJI is simply clipping these motor leads and soldering them down without removing the clear magnetic wire insulation they are causing an area of high resistance and results in massive heat buildup at the solder point. The only contact point would be the clipped power lead end.

This may be the reason why we have seen the broken leads at the fets and why the flexible wire fix alleviated this problem for customers.

So the solution to this would be?

Eltrochaphantom said:
burlbark said:

So the solution to this would be?

Removal of the motor leads and physically scrape the clear insulation off, then solder them back down.

Allot of companies do this thinking the insulation will burn off or all it takes is a couple assembly people that dont care....

I have these motors in stock and will check on the precut ends right now. I started modding the motors last week to stop this from happening and could not understand why the wire would not burn in the middle away from the heat sinking properties of the esc's and away from the motors themselves.

PS: On motor upgrade packages the new motors come with the leads pre-tinned and it appears that they used and acetone of some sort to remove the insulation for tinning. If they dont remove all of it... well that will cause an issue.

And here are some pics to add to the esc confusion. What if they are marked with both blue and red?

Attachments

• motor wire leads 001.JPG
    motor wire leads 001.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 374
  • motor wire leads 002.JPG
    motor wire leads 002.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 375

Interesting. So the motor winding wire has a clear coating on it which insulates it and if not properly removed around the soldering end could make for a bad connection at the solder point. And is resistant to the heat of the iron. Have you tried to remove with acetone?
Could it be this simple? I hope so.

So, do you think the esc's are ok?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl