If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

IMHO, the failure of the motor leads is related to flexibility rather than rated ampacity. The older motors had leads that were at least 18GA with multiple strands of about 19 strands. Versus the larger gauge leads of 2-3 strands for the newer motors. Flexibility for the motor leads is important for long term durability. Me, I would use a high strand count 18GA wire, like SO cord. It offers the flexibility that will provide long term durability and have a quality insulation that is thicker than most off the shelf gauged wire.

From the time the new motors were built the motor leads were being fatigued. Now your flying on a high harmonic vibrating platform, guess it is just a matter of time. When I saw the new motors, I thought things didn't look right with the leads. But again I had no desire to change my motors, they weren't broke...

In the welding industry they use 4/0 cable, the strand count of about 2054, finer gauge wire designed to provide flexibility an durability. Whereas typical 4/0 wire use for fixed applications has a strand count of 19. The later is not designed for continuous bending/movement and has a radius limitation when forming to termination point. Both conductors are rated at basically the same ampacity, but the cost of the welding cable is much higher foot to foot. Again purposed minded application. Even though both conductors are of comparable OD.

SO cord is made the same way, higher strand count, for your power tools. Cheaper tools will have cords with less flexibility, because of cost.

Further, as your strand count goes up, your ampacity per strand goes down. Obviously smaller gauge size per strand. With the new motors, if one strand breaks, then you have less ampacity. Less ampacity generates more heat....resistance.

Good luck!

Sorry, i only looked at firt page of replies. I have looked through the rest and understand. I have not flied or did any computer work on it yet, so will wait to hear. I came on the site just to ask if need to put on computer before flying. Weather cold hear anyway. Iowa

sbarton said:
Not sure how you guy can say that the smaller wires are fine and not over heating after viewing that thread. please read both pages of that thread.

The second image is quite incriminating. It appears that the MOSFETs are shorting and flowing too much current through the motor feeds and the motors. But it's not possible to tell what caused the shorting without more investigation. One thing is certain, it can't be the 22 awg wires. It could be the motors themselves or the MOSFETs themselves (maybe switching speeds that are beyond the useful range of the devices) but not the wiring.

If I only had a dollar for every time someone said "it cant be".

burlbark said:
If I only had a dollar for every time someone said "it cant be".

I understand your point, I've thought that too. But I've also often thought "if only I had a dollar every time someone said "it has to be."

hunch said:
mlars,
we are not trying to freak anyone out. what burlbark (Jeremy) and I are doing is identifying the flaws of the phantoms and pointing them out
so that future disaster can be avoided that's all.
i can totally understand your concern, specially if you never owned any quads in the past.
i am submitting this particular issue to DJI's service support to see what they have to say about it. i will update this post when i hear from them,
but dealing with them in the past it could be a week before i even get anything back from them.
I appreciate you & Jeremy trying to look out for us all. When I bought mine, I was under the impression the bugs have been worked out of them. I guess if it isn't one thing, it's another. I just am glad I bought a 3 year warranty for accidents, failures, etc. :D

rstekeur said:
You both can give me a dollar and we can say "It could be"

I definitely agree that "it could be". Here's your dollar $

Larry L said:
When I bought mine, I was under the impression the bugs have been worked out of them. I guess if it isn't one thing, it's another.

Yup. New model. Fixed some old bugs, apparently introduced some new ones.

I'm looking at the motors on my Disco Pro...400kv Tigers... the windings are 18 gauge stranded copper and about 1/2" outside the casing very supple 18 gauge silicon wire leads are soldered....just sayin'....

I have a totally lame questions. I press the button once, press it for two seconds and all I get is a flashing red light. What Am I Doing Wrong? I feel like an idiot. Thanks, Bruc

So, what should those of us do who have a new V3 but haven't had any issues with the described wire/board problem?

What do you guys recommend I do as a preventative measure?

Pmcdn said:
So, what should those of us do who have a new V3 but haven't had any issues with the described wire/board problem?

I can't answer for them but I'm staying pat

mede8er said:
I'm looking at the motors on my Disco Pro...400kv Tigers... the windings are 18 gauge stranded copper and about 1/2" outside the casing very supple 18 gauge silicon wire leads are soldered....just sayin'....

Well its pretty obvious to many of us that flexible wire is needed here. :D

Pmcdn said:

At this time I would recommend you smell it before and after flight. If you at any time smell it getting cooked shut it down and locate the problem. I think many of you will be opening them up after a couple hours of flight and see issues.

Its a troubling development and I came up with a quick solution that didnt take a team of engineers. Hani first brought it to my attention when the motors came out and a couple customers where concerned that it would begin to fail there with time. It was only a matter of a couple weeks before it started popping up here and there.

burlbark said:
Pmcdn said:

At this time I would recommend you smell it before and after flight. If you at any time smell it getting cooked shut it down and locate the problem. I think many of you will be opening them up after a couple hours of flight and see issues.

Its a troubling development and I came up with a quick solution that didnt take a team of engineers. Hani first brought it to my attention when the motors came out and a couple customers where concerned that it would begin to fail there with time. It was only a matter of a couple weeks before it started popping up here and there.
Great advise and great to k know. I'll be keeping and eye and nose out

Mako79 said:
flyNfrank said:
The wires do not separate. The thin wires you speak of are actual a continuation of the same wire that is spun throughout the motor. Replacing that wire will only cause point of resistance. Don't know why people think the wires at their size are what is causing the problem, because it's not!

Im no electrician nor do i study engineering... but the way fuses work is that you want the fuse to burn first. What im saying is that wiring wrapped around the motor is a basically a thick cable and the thinner wire to the esc is the fuse.

Ive done a basic prevention mod by seperating the wires. Dji lays the 3 wires on top of each other. When the rubber shielding melts, this will cause the short.

mako79: how did you separate the wires and what did you use? I may do what you did but would like your input first.

burlbark said:
mede8er said:

Well its pretty obvious to many of us that flexible wire is needed here. :D

:mrgreen:

RichWest said:
IMHO, the failure of the motor leads is related to flexibility rather than rated ampacity. The older motors had leads that were at least 18GA with multiple strands of about 19 strands. Versus the larger gauge leads of 2-3 strands for the newer motors. Flexibility for the motor leads is important for long term durability. Me, I would use a high strand count 18GA wire, like SO cord. It offers the flexibility that will provide long term durability and have a quality insulation that is thicker than most off the shelf gauged wire.

From the time the new motors were built the motor leads were being fatigued. Now your flying on a high harmonic vibrating platform, guess it is just a matter of time. When I saw the new motors, I thought things didn't look right with the leads. But again I had no desire to change my motors, they weren't broke...

In the welding industry they use 4/0 cable, the strand count of about 2054, finer gauge wire designed to provide flexibility an durability. Whereas typical 4/0 wire use for fixed applications has a strand count of 19. The later is not designed for continuous bending/movement and has a radius limitation when forming to termination point. Both conductors are rated at basically the same ampacity, but the cost of the welding cable is much higher foot to foot. Again purposed minded application. Even though both conductors are of comparable OD.

SO cord is made the same way, higher strand count, for your power tools. Cheaper tools will have cords with less flexibility, because of cost.

Further, as your strand count goes up, your ampacity per strand goes down. Obviously smaller gauge size per strand. With the new motors, if one strand breaks, then you have less ampacity. Less ampacity generates more heat....resistance.

Good luck!
:D
I don't have the new version.
The small wires concerned me for exactly the reason posted here.
I am an electrician and by code, all motors shall be connected by flexible conduit as well as flexible stranded wire. This also applies to electrical transformers which generate heat and vibration. The other reason to use stranded wire is electrons flow easiest on the outside of the conductor. A single conductor has lower ampacity ratings than the exact same circular millimeter stranded conductor. The best rated wire is very fine stranded copper: MTW or Machine Tool Wire.

Bingo.... :lol: Hani and I just want to show the fix and make it available to everyone. These motors are awesome, but DJI overlooked this.[/quote]

I'm in favor of this. Can you and Hani show us exactly what to do to solve this problem for us layman types please?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers