I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never work"

Re: I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never wo

Koz said:
There's actually a far more simple reason why drone delivery will not be profitable. Unruly teens, gang members, idiots, and ne'er do wells will do everything they can to knock them out of the sky and steal the merchandise. And if Amazon employs a drop off hub like Locker then the bad guys will easily learn the route and be on the lookout for deliveries.

Guns, rocks, cheapie drones, and even jamming radio frequencies could all pose a threat to delivery drones. And you can bet that the bad guys will be creative and find more and more ways to knock the deliveries out of the sky.

Good point. Anything from slingshots to jammers. It was interesting how Timmy used medicine as an example of something one might need immediately.

It's hard to imagine all of the safeguards required to ensure safe delivery of pharmaceuticals. So much as to make it impractical or impossible.

Clipper707 said:
Koz said:
There's actually a far more simple reason why drone delivery will not be profitable. Unruly teens, gang members, idiots, and ne'er do wells will do everything they can to knock them out of the sky and steal the merchandise. And if Amazon employs a drop off hub like Locker then the bad guys will easily learn the route and be on the lookout for deliveries.

Guns, rocks, cheapie drones, and even jamming radio frequencies could all pose a threat to delivery drones. And you can bet that the bad guys will be creative and find more and more ways to knock the deliveries out of the sky.

Good point. Anything from slingshots to jammers. It was interesting how Timmy used medicine as an example of something one might need immediately.

It's hard to imagine all of the safeguards required to ensure safe delivery of pharmaceuticals. So much as to make it impractical or impossible.

yeah I agree... the pharmaceutical thing has all kinds of issues.... and then, timmy kept talking about the drop-box to solve the apartment or un-reachable area problem.

sooo you don't want to drive to the pharmacy... but you'll drive to 7/11? I dunno.

This isn't a publicity stunt. It's very real. Or at least they are taking very real steps to make it happen.

I think a lot of people are assuming Amazon would have to offer this everywhere at once. They actually have a habit of rolling out different products in different markets for a long time now. This would be no exception.

They can easily choose a handful of suburban markets where it makes more sense than others. They can use these test markets to learn and grow into other areas. There are obviously some places it just won't make sense given their topography, demographics, etc.

Also keep in mind, anyone trying to knock one out of the air with a gun or an RF jammer will be severely prosecuted. I mean, one could just as easily shoot the tires of the UPS truck or rob the driver. These things will likely be able to transmit video and telemetry over public networks so if anyone tries to nab one, they'll likely wind up on video and be tracked in real-time.

Computer vision will take care of the rest of the complexities. It's 100% achievable. Given the FAA's position on this, it will likely launch first in a non-US market which is too bad.

Koz said:

My thoughts exactly...

Here is a way it just might work:
Hello, Mr. Jones. This is amazon air delivery. Can you be ready outside your house tomorrow at 2:00 Pm?
Well, yes no problem.
We will deliver your air package at that time, thank you.
Mr jones waits for the package the next day.
About the only way I can see it working.......

I can say that trolls seem to be part of just about any web group or forum. esp free sites. But I have noticed this site seems pretty devoid of it compared to some sites. Were its not some thing I have come to expect here and for the most part I noticed most people here tend to have pretty good sand box skills and at least get along even if they disagree on some thing or are at least trying to be helpful. Even thoes that seem like they might just be real opinionated about some things still seem to be ok people. Which is one of the things i like about this place.

I don't understand why people act that way. If they ever expect help at all, that is a poor way to get it. It doesn't take long to be flagged in peoples minds. But this happens on most forums. I am a member of three or more welding forums, a couple of experimental helicopter man carrying forums, photography forums, machining forums including CNC. They all have trolls, or people that are hard to get along with. I built a Cnc router/plasma table in about 2006. Got my info from CNC ZONE. The only forum I have been a member of with absolute none of this bs is Vetric. It's the company that designed the cad software I use. Good people and smart. Neve have heard a bad word there. Always ready to help no matter how many times a question is asked. They're too busy being productive and have no time for bs.

Cool another metal and plasma person.

plasma spider is also a good site thats pretty drama and troll free. Tho they also have a paid members section and that cuts down on trolls alot being not many are going to pay $20 to go and get the ban hammer on them repeatedly.

syotr said:
Khudson7 said:
Big difference between sending a small quad with bottle of pills across the water to the island vs. thousands of heavy octocopters flying over populated cities and highways.

Yeah...too bad drone delivery didn't start like automobiles did. Several thousand on the roads, with the infrastructure already built to support them.

La Poste in France, are using drones for deliveries...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Poste-develops-drone-to-deliver-parcels.html

The point here, is it has already started...with todays technology. And the world is not waiting while the FAA is dragging its' feet.
Of course, these are remote areas. What better place to start in.

It does seem like a number of naysayers immediately jump to all the problems inherent with drone delivery in trying to deliver to a person that lives on the 42nd story of a 68 story high rise, in Manhattan. Then they leap to the conclusion...it will never work.

No question it will start on a small scale. But when I read these and other articles, like NASA is beginning to work on a Drone Air Traffic control system, similar to the present air traffic control system, sensors being developed with a sense and avoid technology, redundant safety systems, autonomous computer generated drone flights, etc....one has to wonder where this might lead in 5 or 10 years. Maybe the Manhattan example may not happen, but surely some form will...if all these companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, DHL, and others are pouring monies into making it happen.

Khudson7 said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Poste-develops-drone-to-deliver-parcels.html

The point here, is it has already started...with todays technology. And the world is not waiting while the FAA is dragging its' feet.

It does seem like a number of naysayers immediately jump to all the problems inherent with drone delivery in trying to deliver to a person that lives on the 42nd story of a 68 story high rise, in Manhattan. Then they leap to the conclusion...it will never work.

No question it will start on a small scale. But when I read these and other articles, like NASA is beginning to work on a Drone Air Traffic control system, similar to the present air traffic control system, sensors being developed with a sense and avoid technology, redundant safety systems, autonomous computer generated drone flights, etc....one has to wonder where this might lead in 5 or 10 years. Maybe the Manhattan example may not happen, but surely some form will...if all these companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, DHL, and others are pouring monies into making it happen.

Yes, like most things which have obstacles, "evolution" is key.

Here is an interesting article written back in July, about Amazon Air - "Six Things You Should Know About Amazon's Drones"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory...things-you-need-to-know-about-amazons-drones/
(NOTE: Number 6 - If the FAA doesn't grant Amazon's request, the company will move their drone research operations outside of the U.S.)

Hope they pick my country...

Attachments

• pick_me_kitten-295x300.jpg
    pick_me_kitten-295x300.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 254

If the FAA doesn't grant Amazon's request, the company will move their drone research operations outside of the U.S

lol so in other words they are going to be doing there drone thing in Pakistan or india like the main bulk of there entire operations and staff are already at. Now I know they are deston to be doomed if they ever do this drone thing and have the same people they have staffing there support staff and call in centers trying to fly drones. OH LORD Besides they fact that they cant ever seem to even understand even the most simple question about and order any time any one ever tries to call them on the phone or in a chat or email. I can also see them scaring the living day lights out of any one in Pakistan when there neighbor is getting a amazon delivery by drone and every one in the neighborhood freaks out and tries to run for cover thinking its one of Obama drones sending them one of his love/peace bombs to kill there children.

And amazon threading to move more jobs off shore shows they much not really understand US goverment there days to the goverment esp in the currant administration that would not be taken as a threat and would actually be right in like with there goal to see as many jobs go over seas as they can being they have a deliberate policy to try and destroy us jobs and want to have every one unemployed and if they can get them one welfare and more dependent on the goverment and thus forced to have to keep vetoing for who ever promises the biggest hand outs.

Khudson7 said:

I don't know about the whole "naysayers" thing.... Part of problem solving is identifying the problems and coming up with solutions. I can say, representing only myself, that the hurdles that many list - are more likely reasons it won't happen on a large scale anytime soon. I guess just throwing up your hands and saying it will NEVER happen I can see as naysaying - but a lot of people are just debating a pretty large number of hurdles that need to be overcome to make this something meaningfully useful to the common consumer.

Will someone like Amazon, fedex or DHL make it happen on some scale? sure. I actually have very little doubt about that. But it will take solving a LOT of the "naysayers" logistical and technical problems to make it work beyond a very tactical or gimmicky way.

The OP keeps insisting that this service is coming "someday soon" and it will be used all over the place. I think a lot of us are of the mindset that if we can think of a dozen technical and logistical problems that don't have a clear solution right off the top of our heads - we also can sense that finding solutions for those problems will take time.

I agree with you (and a lot of others) that on some small scale it will happen.. and maybe even relatively soon. But there are an S-Ton of logistic and technical hurdles to be solved before businesses start offering this service in a way and at a cost that even comes close to delivery systems already humming along with great efficiency. Not impossible - just not tomorrow.

N017RW said:
Since that article was published India has banned all drones (for now?).

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-d ... es-2024734

wow... as I read the article I was almost certain that it was just going to be for commercial reasons until that last line. What a stupid leap they took with that approach! We don't want people using these for commercial purposes and clogging the airways... so ban them all???

I'm glad that here in the US (at least) they distinguish between hobby and commercial.

what a drag...

Buckaye said:
Khudson7 said:

I don't know about the whole "naysayers" thing.... Part of problem solving is identifying the problems and coming up with solutions. I can say, representing only myself, that the hurdles that many list - are more likely reasons it won't happen on a large scale anytime soon. I guess just throwing up your hands and saying it will NEVER happen I can see as naysaying - but a lot of people are just debating a pretty large number of hurdles that need to be overcome to make this something meaningfully useful to the common consumer.

Will someone like Amazon, fedex or DHL make it happen on some scale? sure. I actually have very little doubt about that. But it will take solving a LOT of the "naysayers" logistical and technical problems to make it work beyond a very tactical or gimmicky way.

The OP keeps insisting that this service is coming "someday soon" and it will be used all over the place. I think a lot of us are of the mindset that if we can think of a dozen technical and logistical problems that don't have a clear solution right off the top of our heads - we also can sense that finding solutions for those problems will take time.

I agree with you (and a lot of others) that on some small scale it will happen.. and maybe even relatively soon. But there are an S-Ton of logistic and technical hurdles to be solved before businesses start offering this service in a way and at a cost that even comes close to delivery systems already humming along with great efficiency. Not impossible - just not tomorrow.
Actually, I think you and I are pretty close in agreement. I however, did a take on what appeared to be some, as saying it will never happen, as some have used my Manhattan example above, and you did a take on my comments that it might happen tomorrow.

I did make a reference to what it might be like in 5 to 10 years based on what is happening now, in research and development. That was all I was saying. No question, there are many hurdles, and some that may not be solved in our(or my) lifetime. Just saying, the writing is on the wall, for some form of this happening, based on how many major international companies are lining up to do that...research and development.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj