I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never work"

Reaction score
..... and then I show them this video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3q4hlmoEo[/youtube]

So if somebody in 10 years orders up a pair of 2 oz. earbuds and wants them delivered within 15 minutes, you honestly think a drone couldnt do it?

Watch the video again and you'll be proven wrong. This little speed demon will fly from the Amazon warehouse to your driveway in about 2 minutes flat and back again with plenty of battery to spare!

:p :p :p

Re: I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never wo

TimmyG94 said:
This little speed demon will fly from the Amazon warehouse to your driveway in about 2 minutes flat and back again with plenty of battery to spare!
not once its hit the first object in its path. To be able to do fully autonomous delivering it'll need to be alot bigger to house all the safety devices

p fandango said:
TimmyG94 said:
This little speed demon will fly from the Amazon warehouse to your driveway in about 2 minutes flat and back again with plenty of battery to spare!
not once its hit the first object in its path. To be able to do fully autonomous delivering it'll need to be alot bigger to house all the safety devices

Not a problem.

Just slap on 4 or 5 batteries and PLENTY of power to handle all the safety gadgets like obstacle-avoidance radar.

Besides, this speed demon will fly at 300 ft. and won't have much to worry about except the occasional cell tower or TV tower.

Anyone who thinks drone delivery will never work is just plain stupid and still living life like it's 1965.

It's not about the technology, it's about the Government Regulation that will keep us behind everyone else.

woobisah said:
It's not about the technology, it's about the Government Regulation that will keep us behind everyone else.

Well I agree with that.

The U.S. govt. watches this video and can only think about how many uses a terrorist would have for it. The average, rational person can see hundreds of innovative commercial uses for it.

That's the essential difference between a normal sane person and Uncle Sam --- FEAR.

I think that's probably the least persuasive argument I ever heard for drone delivery.
It just shows that someone has a small fast quad.
It's just a toy and it's hard to imagine any serious uses for it.
It couldn't carry anything more than 2 ounces, let alone all the guidance tech necessary for serious deployment.
It goes nowhere toward addressing any of the major obstacles that stand in the way of a viable drone delivery system.
Some of the problems were touched on in this thread ...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32503
Read that and come back to us when you've thought a bit harder.

Meta4 said:
I think that's probably the least persuasive argument I ever heard for drone delivery.
It couldn't carry anything more than 2 ounces, let alone all the guidance tech necessary for serious deployment.
It goes nowhere toward addressing any of the major obstacles that stand in the way of a viable drone delivery system.

You were the exactly the same kind of doof who said "cell phones will never work" back in 1987 because they were big as a briefcase.

You were also the same kind of person who said "personal computers will never work" back in 1977 because mainframes cost $5 million and take up an entire room.

I got no time for people like you with zero foresight and lack of imagination based on current technology. But that's why people like me imagine, innovate and become rich and guys like you just complain and stagnate. Your main credo in life is: "I GIVE UP". Your kind makes me sad, but such is the way of the world for many centuries.

TimmyG94 said:
..... and then I show them this video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3q4hlmoEo[/youtube]

So if somebody in 10 years orders up a pair of 2 oz. earbuds and wants them delivered within 15 minutes, you honestly think a drone couldnt do it?

Watch the video again and you'll be proven wrong. This little speed demon will fly from the Amazon warehouse to your driveway in about 2 minutes flat and back again with plenty of battery to spare!

:p :p :p

It's fast - I want one!

However, speed doesn't necessarily translate into an advantage in battery life due to the energy penalties of increasing speed. Higher speed increases wind resistance, requires more energy, and hence will often get less distance out of a given battery. A car going 100mph on the freeway will burn more gas over a 50 mile stretch than a car going 60mph.

I do agree with you that Amazon has a shot at overcoming the technical, legal, and infrastructure hurdles at some point in the future, but it sure ain't trivial.

That toy is fast and light. what can it offer the world when it comes to drone delivery?

TimmyG94 said:
I got no time for people like you with zero foresight and lack of imagination based on current technology. But that's why people like me imagine, innovate and become rich and guys like you just complain and stagnate. Your main credo in life is: "I GIVE UP". Your kind makes me sad, but such is the way of the world for many centuries.
You have no idea what kind of person I am or what my experience is.
I have worked on cutting edge technology for longer than you can imagine.
You're the kind that has no time for facts, physics or reality. Enjoy your fantasy.

TimmyG94 said:
Meta4 said:

You were the exactly the same kind of doof who said "cell phones will never work" back in 1987 because they were big as a briefcase.

You were also the same kind of person who said "personal computers will never work" back in 1977 because mainframes cost $5 million and take up an entire room.

Ease up there, Timmy. Meta4 isn't saying drone delivery will never work. He's saying this isn't the best demonstrator of proof of concept. I agree with Meta4.

I see a quick, agile drone, not a heavy lifter.

Still waiting on my jetpack and flying car. These were predicted in the 60's. While they are technically possible, they are not really safe or practical for mass use. The same applies to the Amazon drone delivery.

Not sure the video you are showing, does much to prove the point you are trying to make. I do agree with you that it is more of when...rather than if, regarding drone delivery. DHL in Germany and another very large company in France are already doing deliveries although in a VERY limited areas. There is still a ways to go, in order to make them safer with more sensors to make them more sense and avoid(like cars are becoming), and more redundant safety systems (like on planes today), and yes, more autonomous(run by computers rather than individual pilots). But all of that...is coming.

Also regarding regulation, I am excited to see the FAA loosen it's reins, recently, allowing CNN to test drones for news gathering, issuing exceptions to real estate persons in Arizona, police in berkley allowed to use them in surveillance, etc.etc. All very positive steps toward more of an acceptance to the technology.

But I would not starting laughing too hard yet. Still a ways to go...

syotr said:
While they are technically possible, they are not really safe or practical for mass use. The same applies to the Amazon drone delivery.

You do realize this is exactly what was said about automobiles, TV, planes, desktop computers, and cell phones right?

Naysayers like you don't change the world. You were part of the 99% who were telling Steve Jobs and Bill Gates in the 70's to "give up because it's impossible". Seems like a dismal way to go through life, but it's your own sad decision.

Meta4 said:
That toy is fast and light. what can it offer the world when it comes to drone delivery?

I just gave you an example in my original post. Slap a 2 oz. pair of earbuds to this little speed demon and it travels 150 MPH to your house and back within 5 minutes. Did you watch the video or do you need an eye exam? It's obvious this particular prototype could easily complete the task.

You have no idea what kind of person I am or what my experience is.
I have worked on cutting edge technology for longer than you can imagine.
You're the kind that has no time for facts, physics or reality. Enjoy your fantasy.

LOL, yeah I bet you "worked on cutting edge technology longer than you imagine". Got any proof? Most of your posts show a rather profound lack of understanding about current technological capabilities of drones. You live a sad life. Glad I'm not you.

TimmyG94 said:
syotr said:
While they are technically possible, they are not really safe or practical for mass use. The same applies to the Amazon drone delivery.

You do realize this is exactly what was said about automobiles, TV, planes, desktop computers, and cell phones right?
This is exactly what they said about jetpacks and flying cars!

Clipper707 said:
I see a quick, agile drone, not a heavy lifter.

Oh oh, here we go again with the old "well it can't lift a refrigerator so drone delivery will never work" reponse.

Drones will be a new type of delivery paradigm, but they will never replace trucks for delivering heavy bulky items. The laws of physics control that.

86% of all items ordered on Amazon weigh less than 5 lbs. Assuming about 15-20% of that 86% can't be delivered by drone because of size problems (ie, queen size comforter), that still leaves up to 65% of all Amazon orders could be delivered by drone with existing technology, at least the ability to carry it from Point A to Point B. Obstacle avoidance will still need to be worked out.

Drone delivery is VERY feasible right now, although under certain conditions. Anyone who doubts that needs to crawl back under a rock.

syotr said:

Well I guess you win the "Smarty Pants" award then. Just because everyone isn't using jetpacks to get to work, then you must be the "Prognosticator of Prognosticators". I guess I'll throw my iPhone in the toilet because you were telling me 20 years ago that "it's not possible".

:eek:

TimmyG94 said:
syotr said:

Well I guess you win the "Smarty Pants" award then. Just because everyone isn't using jetpacks to get to work, then you must be the "Prognosticator of Prognosticators". I guess I'll throw my iPhone in the toilet because you were telling me 20 years ago that "it's not possible".

Oh well, it was nice when you were gone. Why do you have to be so mean to fellow forum members?

PhantomFanatic said:
Oh well, it was nice when you were gone. Why do you have to be so mean to fellow forum members?

I'm not "mean" to fellow members. I talk like an adult, but it appears many of you in here have very fragile childish egos that need to be protected or else you might go crying to your Mommy (ie, moderator).

LOL, jeez man grow a pair. It's called "debating". I guess you missed that topic in high school.

TimmyG94 said:
syotr said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SCu9yiBlo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20