I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never work"

Re: I laugh when I hear people say "Amazon Air will never wo

syotr said:
TimmyG94 said:
syotr said:
This is exactly what they said about jetpacks and flying cars!

Well I guess you win the "Smarty Pants" award then. Just because everyone isn't using jetpacks to get to work, then you must be the "Prognosticator of Prognosticators". I guess I'll throw my iPhone in the toilet because you were telling me 20 years ago that "it's not possible".

:eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SCu9yiBlo

Very funny :D

Where the Feck is my Drone Delivery !

syotr said:

Guitar-wielding rednecks speaking as technological prognosticators. Represents everything wrong with America these days.

TimmyG94 said:
PhantomFanatic said:
Oh well, it was nice when you were gone. Why do you have to be so mean to fellow forum members?

I'm not "mean" to fellow members. I talk like an adult, but it appears many of you in here have very fragile childish egos that need to be protected or else you might go crying to your Mommy (ie, moderator).

LOL, jeez man grow a pair. It's called "debating". I guess you missed that topic in high school.

I guess the hemorrhagic flyer is back. Lighten up, buddy. Debate is a reasonable discourse between people, not a mean-spirited flame war with everyone who disagrees with you. You'll get more people to agree with your POV if you can be friendly and convince them of your argument's merits, not by calling everyone who counters your argument names.

sdtrojan said:
I guess the hemorrhagic flyer is back. Lighten up, buddy. Debate is a reasonable discourse between people, not a mean-spirited flame war with everyone who disagrees with you. You'll get more people to agree with your POV if you can be friendly and convince them of your argument's merits, not by calling everyone who counters your argument names.

I don't like calling people names, but sometimes it's necessary to be concise and direct. No reason to use obscenities, but calling somebody a "fuddy duddy" or "delusional weirdo" hammers my point across rather quickly and effectively. :p

I guess I'm most disgusted by all the emotional weaklings in here. I say one wittle thing that hurts their feelings and they go crying to the moderator. Reminds me of an infant who craps his diapers and needs Mommy to save the day. I have to "SMH" at the maturity level of many people who post in here.

TimmyG94 said:
syotr said:

Guitar-wielding rednecks speaking as technological prognosticators. Represents everything wrong with America these days.
Sadly, he died before ever seeing that jetpack. Likely you and I will as well.

I see some reasons that would or should prevent the use of drones for deliveries. First it's not possible to deliver to people living in buildings or places with no possible landing area. For those who live in houses in town there are many hazards such structures, cables, signs, vehicles etc that makes it difficult to imagine. I see a problem to validate the delivery if the recipient is not present, and also , how safe is it for the parcel to stay in the middle of the lawn, unattended or exposed to the wheater. BTW, what about rainy days, snowy days, or windy days? and finally, what about the 2 years old little boy trying to hand catch the drone landing in the garden? I have nothing against the idea, but what answers to these questions?

good points...there is a lot to "suss" out

TimmyG94 said:
sdtrojan said:

I don't like calling people names, but sometimes it's necessary to be concise and direct. No reason to use obscenities, but calling somebody a "fuddy duddy" or "delusional weirdo" hammers my point across rather quickly and effectively. :p

I guess I'm most disgusted by all the emotional weaklings in here. I say one wittle thing that hurts their feelings and they go crying to the moderator. Reminds me of an infant who craps his diapers and needs Mommy to save the day. I have to "SMH" at the maturity level of many people who post in here.

(Emphasis, bold, added above)

From Wiki:

"... name-calling is thus a substitute for rational, fact-based arguments against an idea or belief, based upon its own merits, and becomes an argumentum ad hominem."

TimmyG94 said:
syotr said:

To be fair, I think people making an argument like this with sentence fragments is also an issue for America. ;)

sergekouper said:
I see some reasons that would or should prevent the use of drones for deliveries. First it's not possible to deliver to people living in buildings or places with no possible landing area. For those who live in houses in town there are many hazards such structures, cables, signs, vehicles etc that makes it difficult to imagine. I see a problem to validate the delivery if the recipient is not present, and also , how safe is it for the parcel to stay in the middle of the lawn, unattended or exposed to the wheater. BTW, what about rainy days, snowy days, or windy days? and finally, what about the 2 years old little boy trying to hand catch the drone landing in the garden? I have nothing against the idea, but what answers to these questions?

I solved a lot of these hypothetical problems in another thread about Amazon Air delivery.

To make it short, Amazon can simply expand the "Amazon Locker" service that is already operating in several large cities like NYC and DC. Yes, I agree there will be situations in urban environments where drones can't make a delivery. However, there will be many Amazon Locker locations where a drone could land safely and a customer's items are securely stored until pickup. It's not that complicated like you imagine.

The best part about expanding Amazon Locker idea for drones is that people can make money from it. Similar to the Ebay Trading Assistant program that operated for over a decade, it allows average people to become sort of "Amazon subcontractors" by charging a small fee for every item delivered to the locker on their property. It's a nice financial incentive for many people in a tough economy.

TimmyG94 said:
sdtrojan said:

Aside from the name calling, which is unnecessary, but not as bad as some I have seen on here, the thing I have noticed most (in the two threads you have started on this topic) is that you are so excited about Amazon drone delivery that you seem to feel personally attacked if someone dares discuss a technological, financial or logistical hurdle.

In fact - the only real argument against I have seen you agree with is the that our government is problematic in this scenario.

All the great inventions - as you point out - had to overcome hurdles. This is no different. Some of these hurdles make this concept pretty difficult to imagine (in the short term). I think many of us would agree it's not impossible... but it has a lot of hurdles.

So - stop the name calling (it weakens your arguments) and discuss the possible solutions.

Buckaye said:
TimmyG94 said:
sdtrojan said:

Aside from the name calling, which is unnecessary, but not as bad as some I have seen on here, the thing I have noticed most (in the two threads you have started on this topic) is that you are so excited about Amazon drone delivery that you seem to feel personally attacked if someone dares discuss a technological, financial or logistical hurdle.

In fact - the only real argument against I have seen you agree with is the that our government is problematic in this scenario.

All the great inventions - as you point out - had to overcome hurdles. This is no different. Some of these hurdles make this concept pretty difficult to imagine (in the short term). I think many of us would agree it's not impossible... but it has a lot of hurdles.

So - stop the name calling (it weakens your arguments) and discuss the possible solutions.

You pacifist you! :lol:

(tongue firmly planted in cheek ;) )

N017RW said:
You pacifist you! :lol:

(tongue firmly planted in cheek ;) )

LOL yeah... only until he calls me a doo doo head... then the gloves come off :lol:

Buckaye said:

I'm excited about Amazon Air because I think it will work, and the hurdles thrown up by the FAA are just another ominous sign that the U.S. govt. wants to become a fascist, totalitarian state while other countries (ie, Europe and SE Asia) embrace commercial drones with open arms and innovate like crazy.

But as far as doing battle with people in here, I just really hate closed minds. Close-minded people don't impress me at all, and they just fall by the wayside as bloated roadkill as the true innovators actually change the world for the better. Go read the book about Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson and you will see what I mean. Lots of naysayers told Steve in the 70s that the desktop PC industry was a "really stupid idea", but he flipped them the bird, dropped some acid and kept chugging away until he made it happen and became insanely wealthy and a cultural icon. Does anyone remember the naysayers who told him it couldnt be done? I sure dont, because those kinds of people get forgotten really quickly.

I'm just here to open minds, buddy. When I hear so-called "experts" saying Amazon Air will never work because a Phantom Vision can't haul a refrigerator 20 miles downwind to a customer who lives in a high-rise apartment building, well I just have to SMH and laugh. CLUELESS is the word that comes to mind.

woobisah said:
It's not about the technology, it's about the Government Regulation that will keep us behind everyone else.

IImpressive toy. I can' imagine how that by itself translates to a viable delivery service. The technology will be the easy part. The technology for a flying car exists too. The regulation and the financial viability....not today. And not tomorrow. Someday, maybe.

Drone delivery isn't an invention, certainly not Amazon's invention. It is a certain use of drones, and many more good uses will come.
I saw a clip about drones delivering narcotics way before Amazon started their PR campaign.

It isn't about closed-mindedness. Most people here have enough experience with drones to be able to express an informative opinion. We aren't journalists that are bored and have nothing to write about.

Also, just because someone doesn't agree with you does not make them a clueless, stupid imbecile.
Everyone has the right to their own opinion, not their own facts. To keep the discussion professional, stick with the facts and refrain from name calling.

TimmyG94 said:
Buckaye said:

I'm excited about Amazon Air because I think it will work, and the hurdles thrown up by the FAA are just another ominous sign that the U.S. govt. wants to become a fascist, totalitarian state while other countries (ie, Europe and SE Asia) embrace commercial drones with open arms and innovate like crazy.

But as far as doing battle with people in here, I just really hate closed minds. Close-minded people don't impress me at all, and they just fall by the wayside as bloated roadkill as the true innovators actually change the world for the better. Go read the book about Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson and you will see what I mean. Lots of naysayers told Steve in the 70s that the desktop PC industry was a "really stupid idea", but he flipped them the bird, dropped some acid and kept chugging away until he made it happen and became insanely wealthy and a cultural icon. Does anyone remember the naysayers who told him it couldnt be done? I sure dont, because those kinds of people get forgotten really quickly.

I'm just here to open minds, buddy. When I hear so-called "experts" saying Amazon Air will never work because a Phantom Vision can't haul a refrigerator 20 miles downwind to a customer who lives in a high-rise apartment building, well I just have to SMH and laugh. CLUELESS is the word that comes to mind.

OK... fair enough I guess. But I don't think people saying " 'X' is a problem" makes someone closed-minded. Yes, prefaced by "it will never work because..." is a closed minded statement... but it also opens the door to a discussion.

I think the drop-box idea could work, to solve some of the logistical issues. But...from a business perspective... will that create the demand to offset the cost?

Right now... I can pay $3.99 to have an item delivered to my door tomorrow. I do that a LOT (and now they even deliver some items on Sunday).

Are there times where I would pay a premium to get it the same day? Sure.. and there might be a lot of people who will do this occasionally.

Are there enough people willing to pay a premium to have something delivered to a 7-11 down the street and have to drive to go get it? I don't know.

Fedex and UPS can create these reasonable prices for amazon because of the volume of packages they can move... the drone idea (at least in the short term) will not be a volume market... which generally means it will be likely be expensive.

Apple doesn't really compete on price (even when they tried... Iphone 5c - it was not particularly successful) - they win because people want their quality and the label... (I often joke - take my money Apple!)

But one only buys an apple device once (maybe twice) a year if they are fanatical? So - yes they overcame naysayers... but it's a different business model.

I think the business side of this is a bigger hurdle than the technical side... and government trumps all that... but I still say, eventually some kind of drone delivery will happen.

I have no doubt that drone delivery is possible. But if the government would allow that to take place, I'm sure at first it would be for important things first and at a very limited rate. Delivering medical supplies, government stuff etc. I can't think of an earbud emergency. Also if it did get into full swing, can you imagine the thousands of drones flying around and the noise they may create. They would have to miss obstacles like towers, birds, aircraft. They would have to observe airport traffic areas, and restricted areas. Probably couldn't go out and successfully fly a kite. They would have to be tracked. What a nightmare that would be. Weather will play a big factor too. I guess we'll have deicing boots on the props for winter flying. They could interfere with migrating birds, rocket enthusiasts, hot air balloons etc.. How can you keep track of all of that? And what happens when one crashes and hurts someone or starts a forest fire. Who will take responsibility for that? I think we are a long way from this happening on a large scale. When technology gets to the point that my cell doesn't drop a call, my cable tv doesn't go off, my gps is always correct, Walmart shoppers stop looking like freaks, they find a cure for cancer. Then maybe it might work. This isn't the Jetsons ya know.
And for the ones that think that their idea is the only one that counts and wants to be rude and start name calling to other members...maybe we should first use this technology to make sure your kind are not able to reproduce. Badda bing...badda boom

Buckaye said:
Right now... I can pay $3.99 to have an item delivered to my door tomorrow. I do that a LOT (and now they even deliver some items on Sunday).

What service is this? I got Amazon Prime and I'm quite happy with free 2-day delivery. However, same day delivery is the next hill to be conquered, and drones can make that happen cost effectively, for many but not all items.

Are there times where I would pay a premium to get it the same day? Sure.. and there might be a lot of people who will do this occasionally.

I'm the same way. I don't see any urgent need to get a $20 pair of earbuds delivered to me same day, but I remember having a really nasty sore throat last winter so I called my doctor after-hours and she called in a prescription for antibiotics to my local pharmacy. I was in miserable shape, but I had to get out bed and drive in my car through 5 inches of un-plowed snow on the road at 11pm to get my prescription. I would have gladly paid a $10 premium to have a little drone deliver that tiny bottle of pills to my house while I continued to rest in bed. I would bet millions of other people would pay that premium under similar circumstances.

Fedex and UPS can create these reasonable prices for amazon because of the volume of packages they can move... the drone idea (at least in the short term) will not be a volume market... which generally means it will be likely be expensive.

I agree that it same-day delivery by drone will be expensive at initial rollout, but the price should come down as economy of scale starts to kick in. It's the same reason why RAM chips cost me $700 in 1994 when I bought my first PC, but now only cost $40. Once the masses start to use drones, the cost of them will drastically reduce and the premium being charged for same-day delivery by a drone will be almost negligible.

but I still say, eventually some kind of drone delivery will happen.

I agree 100% :p

TimmyG94 said:
Buckaye said:

What service is this? I got Amazon Prime and I'm quite happy with free 2-day delivery. However, same day delivery is the next hill to be conquered, and drones can make that happen cost effectively, for many but not all items.

Seriously? Next day... the box right below 2 day free :)

And, not for nothing... your comment about being quite happy with 2-day free - kind of helps make my point about the uphill battle drone delivery faces due to the expense :) Happy with waiting 2 days for free... $3.99 for next day is too expensive?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_97 Jan. 13 12.45.jpg
    ScreenHunter_97 Jan. 13 12.45.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 340

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20