I am a newbie - Local fireworks with phantom 3S

Reaction score
Only been flying about five months so thought to try filming local firework show. Really surprised how good the sensors on the camera worked for colors and resolution. I was at 250 feet and about three blocks from the park. You can see two flashes upper left in frame from neighbors shooting off their own! Made it home safely. Ha nothing spectacular, but came out pretty darn good for a newbie.

Last edited:
And please make sure that you're not flying over the crowds of people watching from below.

Absolutely, aviator 67. You can easily see I was safely over our subdivision and a quarter mile from the park and spectators. In fact one of our guests is a sergeant in our Police department and was advised it cleared for municipal regulations to be clear of anyone below, etc. Operated under Part 101, not 107 - under 400 ft., as a hobbyist, in line of sight and full collision avoidance lighting, etc. My flight distance was only 300 ft. distance from our yard. :)

.... My flight distance was only 300 ft. distance from our yard. :)

No Problem, some people doing it just don't know and a gentle reminder is all it takes. Thanks for your attention to detail. In regards to flying at night, it looks like you are ok, many of us are trying to figure out the rules as they apply to different classes of operation. (Commercial vs Recreational)

Cheers!

No Problem, some people doing it just don't know and a gentle reminder is all it takes. Thanks for your attention to detail. In regards to flying at night, it looks like you are ok, many of us are trying to figure out the rules as they apply to different classes of operation. (Commercial vs Recreational)

Cheers!

I am aware as I also fly other RC UAV. The biggest danger was my brother trying to hit the Phantom with his bottle rockets. Ha.

Some info on FAA sight - for "hobbyists", NOT commercial use.

Fly for Fun

Last edited:
Absolutely, aviator 67. You can easily see I was safely over our subdivision and a quarter mile from the park and spectators. In fact one of our guests is a sergeant in our Police department and was advised it cleared for municipal regulations to be clear of anyone below, etc. Operated under Part 101, not 107 - under 400 ft., as a hobbyist, in line of sight and full collision avoidance lighting, etc. My flight distance was only 300 ft. distance from our yard. :)
And please make sure that you're not flying over the crowds of people watching from below.

So- aviator67, any thoughts on the point of my post? suggestions for "reveals", altitude adjustments while filming, etc.? I was very pleased but posted to see if forum members had any comments for improving my flights and any technique suggestions. Did not expect criticism of safety.

So- aviator67, any thoughts on the point of my post? suggestions for "reveals", altitude adjustments while filming, etc.? I was very pleased but posted to see if forum members had any comments for improving my flights and any technique suggestions. Did not expect criticism of safety.

Yes, your choice of Sousa couldn't be better! You should probably get closer. Perhaps not as close as the video below but there is a large part of your video that is not contributing to the point of interest. I'd also consider sweeping shots rather than a single location. There has got to be a really good reason to keep a mobile camera platform stationary. Roll but keep the point of interest in the same place. It makes the shot more interesting. That said, I've never shot fireworks from my drone, just from the ground so who am I to critique your video.

You might consider a Litchi Mission to get some cool angles. Can you visualize a sweeping shot like this with your fireworks?

It would be better if you chose a location out of town rather than over a populated area if you flying at a distance from your house. (The FAA is going to have to revisit that whole BVLOS question, in my opinion.)

Anyway, you asked.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: HIWEEL
Yes, your choice of Sousa couldn't be better! You should probably get closer. Perhaps not as close as the video below but there is a large part of your video that is not contributing to the point of interest. I'd also consider sweeping shots rather than a single location. There has got to be a really good reason to keep a mobile camera platform stationary. Roll but keep the point of interest in the same place. It makes the shot more interesting. That said, I've never shot fireworks from my drone, just from the ground so who am I to critique your video.

You might consider a Litchi Mission to get some cool angles. Can you visualize a sweeping shot like this with your fireworks?

It would be better if you chose a location out of town rather than over a populated area if you flying at a distance from your house. (The FAA is going to have to revisit that whole BVLOS question, in my opinion.)

Anyway, you asked.

Cheers!

Great suggestions, thanks. One of the earlier flights I did over an area park and used some of the automatic flight controls to get better camera control and effects as you suggest. Now I have to work on learning more about post.

Be careful of the fast pans, but that's beautiful...Thanks for sharing. Love the birds flying through the shot!

Be careful of the fast pans, but that's beautiful...Thanks for sharing. Love the birds flying through the shot!

Yep, I soon learned how to adjust the sensitivity of the flight controls with the app. Again, just getting into aerial photography. Practice, practice. Thanks for tips. I viewed a couple of your videos on your YouTube channel. A close friend has a ranch in Carbondale and I keep encouraging him to start flying a drone. Beautiful area.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel