Humor me on this .... (Customizing/Changing ESC LED colours)

Reaction score
Is it possible to change the motor arm ESC LED colours, or buy an after market mod for this? Eg. If you for instance wanted to change your green LED's to say, blue, or pink with purple polka dots... whatever lol

There's obviously no practical reason (that I can think of at least!) for doing this, apart from being purely cosmetic and just for the shits and giggles!

I also am not sure if there is any aviation safety purpose for the Green/Red configuration - I doubt it, but I could be wrong?

I think the question came up before, because some colour blind people have problems with red/green so can't easily see the error indication if it flashes red not green!
It might be worth trying some kind of coloured film over the outside, but no doubt the actual LED's *could* be changed.

It appears that the LED were robotically soldered in which make the embedded and really exceptionally hard to change. No doubt they can be modified but not recommended.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437220723.442999.jpg

Judge for yourself :)

There is documentation on the P2 ESCs and how the colors displayed are dependent upon a separate PWM signal from the on-board processor. Each LED package contains a Red and Green element (and maybe an unused Blue???).

It would seem likely that the P3 is similar but that's an assumption.
IF SO unless you can source a similar packaged LED with different colors or combos it would require discrete replacements which along with the required soldering can be tricky depending on your skills and experience.

HOWEVER the good news is because the P3 ESC is separated from the lighting module, shown in the photo above, it is possible (likely???) the PWM is already decoded and the 3-wires we see would be: one Comm./Return, one Red v+, and one Green v+, or the inverse depending on if the LEDs are common Anode or Cathode.

THIS would make it much easier to design different 2 color combos with discrete LEDs. Even design your own PCB.

Last edited:
Those sort of look like WS2812 or Ws2811 leds, which take an incoming signal and then use that to turn the LED basically any color. If this is the case, you could use an arduino to intercept the incoming signal and then pass it back through to the LED after transforming the color to something else. That way you could keep the original flashes intact, just changing the color.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20