How windy is too windy?

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to flying and don;t like to take it out when it seems too windy. I may be being too cautious though. What sort of wind speed would you say would to too windy?

At first, build experience in no wind conditions and graduate to light and gusty breezes. You'll get the hang of it and learn what you can, and can't, handle.

Get a digital aneometer if you are worried. Here's some guidelines. Lets say your phantoms top speed is 30mph, you wont want to fly in those wind speeds but winds can gust and a steady 20mph wind can easily gust over 30mph with no notice. Now thats at ground level. Winds aloft, or up higher wind speeds can increase significantly. 15mph wind speed on the ground could easily be over 30mph a few hundred feet up in the air. My rule generally is 15mph on the ground means I keep under 200ft, 20mph and i'll stay lower. I dont strictly stay to these rules but if its windy I'll keep an extra eye on my bird and be wary of the wind. Dont fly out of line of sight when windy and fly into the wind if you must, at least that way she can only blow back to you rather than VERY quickly away from you. Experience will help you.

Its good to be vigilant about wind conditions.
Were i live they have a windspeed recordings on the net.
So before i consider a flight i look @ the website to see what speed the wind has and what it did in the previous hours.
So you can fairly paint a picture on what to expect.
Also i look on the rain radar ( also on the net ) for my location.
No wind is nice but when a thunderstorm is approching, no way i'm going to pull the bird out.

How fast do you want it to blow away when you lose GPS lock and it switches to Atti mode?
Also keep in mind wind speeds are normally Much higher at altitude. Even just 50 - 100 feet up.

I often fly in 5-10mph wind without worry. At 15 I'm cautious and at 20 I don't fly.

z10m said:
Phantom can withastand really strong wind.
I would say it will fly as long as the wind is slower to Phantoms top speed
obviously flying in such strong wind is risky and when flying against the wind Phantom will almost stay in place.

take a look at that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00BtVm9Qknw

Nice video demonstration! The landing and taking off is usually where I have problems in the wind. Hand catching can be impossible, and you really have to stick the landing, or get tipped over. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic