Hit by a bus!

My two year-old Phantom Pro 4 has served me very well, earning its keep with photojournalism work. Last week it met a surprising end, hit by a bus as I was bringing it home in downtown Detroit. I suspect this must be an unusual circumstance, as the avoidance sensors had no chance to work. The bus driver shouted something at me, so he knew what had happened. Nobody's fault, really. The battery had separated from the drone and was in full flames when I reached it, only about 100 feet away. I'm not asking for help, simply offering advice: watch out for OTHER large moving objects. I was fortunate to find a lightly used replacement, the Mavic Pro 2, which I grabbed at a nice price from a local guy.

I have one construction client I service in a medium traffic area. I use my Inspire 1 for those gigs. This is why I never allow RTH to completely land the bird on its own. That 6' "margin of error" can mean the difference between landing where cars park, or landing where cars drive. Early on my Inspire 1 was almost hit by a school bus. Two lessons learned that day:

1) Be hyper cognizant of traffic
2) Always land the bird manually

D

OK guys i have cleaned all the Off Topic post and not sure why this was even posted in
Phantom Crash & Flyaway Assistance and am moving it to General.
Stay on topic guys.

If I understand correctly: you were flying very low off the street. And then came the bus?
You are lucky that the bus driver didn't call the police.
Perhaps the Knight Bus from Harry Potter and Ernie had lost his glasses?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20