Historic British sailing barge used in Dunkirk movie !

Reaction score
IMG_0592.JPG
Well my first post. Only just got round to registering on the forum !
Had my Phantom 4 for 18 months now and has performed faultlessly. Living on the north Essex coast in the East of England I'm lucky to have some lovely places to fly. I'm always taking pics.
I flew out 1.25 miles earlier to take this shot of a local classic east cost sailing barge. This was the one that can be seen in the 2017 movie Dunkirk.
It dates back around 130 years ago, Im told it was actually used for real in the Dunkirk evacuation.
Im at around 180ft I think , I'm standing where yellow marker is in the distance
(Hope the pic comes out right )

Last edited:
Very good shot! Yes, you are lucky to have the scenery to fly around and photograph. Here in the deep South, Mississippi, we have a lot of creeks, canals, woodlines, farm equipment and fields to fly over. Good for flying but after a few months, the sights get boring. I will probably fly the same routes (Litchi saved) in the different seasons to observe the foliage during the autumn and winter months. We rarely get snow here near Elvis Presley's birthplace in Tupelo but we have some interesting weather patterns to include tornados and thunderstorms to video from a distant of course.

Thanks again for posting that shot.\
Jim
WA5TEF

Thanks Jim glad you liked it.
Sounds you have a good few different places to fly and film. Love a creek and canal.
Yes the season do breath new life into old routes! I must find out more about litchi, sounds good.
Cheers Ian

Ian, yes I have a mission along a good size creek about a half mile west of my home. I use Litchi and have most all waypoints altitude set at 135 feet. I'm going to fly that one and if all tree heights are ok lower elevation some and reply. Once the leaves shed in about 3 months I should get some interesting shots. I doubt if anyone has explored some of those locations in many years. And yes, definitely get Litchi!!! Plenty of YouTube videos to show all about it. It's a great program. I've not gone back to DJI GO in almost a year.
Jim
WA5TEF

Your video was more entertaining than the movie referenced!

'Dunkirk', what a stinker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik