Help with Phantom 2 Vision Plust v 3.0 Tx attenna mod

Reaction score
Well, it looked so easy to scrape away the silicone and just attach the new SMA plug, but no....my fat fingers fubar'd the SMA plug on the TX! So, what do I do now? The copper shield is completely gone and the male prong is only left on the TX. There is no way to attach the SMA cable now? I've read that you can solder on a new SMA plug, but I don't think I have the skills to do that and don't know if it would even work?

I'd appreciate any help? Does anyone have an 5.8ghz Tx laying around?

Oh vey...

Last edited:
I was able to do the extender mod without any issues. Those SMA plugs are so freaking small!

JFI, those plugs are U.FL connectors, not SMA. SMA is on the other end of the wire.

Ok....thanks for the clarification. Those U.FL connectors are freaking small then and fragile. How hard is it to solder on a new connector? I Googled for a how to video, but didn't find anything with U.FL connectors.

If you are good at soldering you can go without the ring. Just connect the center pin from the coax to the board and then quickly solder the connector to the metal shielded box on that board. Works fine and extra secure.

One thing I did was install the coax center pin and then put a drop of crazy glue off to one side to hold coax in place for ease of soldering.

This happened on my P2V+ and I have been 9998' with it with no amps. So it does in fact work.

Last edited:
It's actually a black cement. Google black goo of death.
Dremel, hot air gun and acetone. They are a pain. New Receiver is about $40. Also took me 2 boards to get it done.

If you are good at soldering you can go without the ring. Just connect the center pin from the coax to the board and then quickly solder the connector to the metal shielded box on that board. Works fine and extra secure.

One thing I did was install the coax center pin and then put a drop of crazy glue off to one side to hold coax in place for ease of soldering.

This happened on my P2V+ and I have been 9998' with it with no amps. So it does in fact work.

Thanks for the tip! So, the stainless steel looking box is grounded? Do you have a picture you can show me? I think I can try this. What do I have to lose?

Thanks for the tip! So, the stainless steel looking box is grounded? Do you have a picture you can show me? I think I can try this. What do I have to lose?
Yes the shielded case is grounded at same spot as the ring that came off.

One other top was take a razor knife and scratch up the stainless where you plan to solder.

I had a picture for a while but think its long gone. Let me look.

Yes the shielded case is grounded at same spot as the ring that came off.

One other top was take a razor knife and scratch up the stainless where you plan to solder.

I had a picture for a while but think its long gone. Let me look.

Ok, thanks. I'll have to look tonight. Could I solder a wire from the box to the top of the U.FL connector?

No you cant. This is RF ground and not really electrical ground. So it would create an impedance bump in the transmission line at that point and possibly cause issues. Not to mention you need the connector soldered to that can to hold it in place. The center connector alone will not hold it. You will find this out when you attempt to attach just the center pin. Its a delicate process !

No you cant. This is RF ground and not really electrical ground. So it would create an impedance bump in the transmission line at that point and possibly cause issues. Not to mention you need the connector soldered to that can to hold it in place. The center connector alone will not hold it. You will find this out when you attempt to attach just the center pin. Its a delicate process !

Ok, thanks...wish me luck

Take your time. It will work well.

Well, it was a no go with my soldering abilities. I was able to solder the U.FL back onto the nipple, but my solder was all over the place. I put the TX back together and did a test flight, but only could muster 320 feet before I lost control signal. I kind of expected that I would fat finger the soldering too. Now I have a $100 worthless TX. I ordered a new one last night and I'll be way more careful getting the U.FL plug off of the Tx this time.

Thanks for your help McCabe.

Well sorry to hear that did not work for you. Did you order a version 3 TX?

I think you will like that :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic