Help with analyzing .dat file

There is a good chance your main board is ok. Think about what is going on here. Driving the long screws into the motor windings will have either broken one or more windings (open circuit) and/or shorted turns by damaging insulation (reduced resistance). The SOC will throw an error for both during the initialisation routine.

If you really want to be satisfied remove the motors and inspect visually, the damage will be obvious. You can also measure the resistance between motor windings, all readings should be very close.

I see so thats why it dont "send" power to the motors because the initial self check. It knows that something is broken in the motors.

I have already tried to check it visual. And i see marks. But it is so small space to look into. I need maybe dissasmble motor completely to check for sure. Thats why i'm asking if there is another solution to know.

But I think I will solder off the motor and check the windings resistance. Or can I measure them while connected to board someway. So I don' solder off the fancy factory solders on a working motor.

Yeah, if there is only two wires to the motor then one needs to be unconnected, or you could be reading something else in the circuit.

Rod

I am really not sure. I have never thught about it. But probably it had those beeping sounds. It is a Phantom 3 Pro with the new motors.

The motor have 3 wired. RED black and yellow. If I disconnect the black. And check current through RED and black. Does the yellow cable interference if I leave it connected. Or it has nothing to do with it?

Thanks Rod!!

I see so thats why it dont "send" power to the motors because the initial self check. It knows that something is broken in the motors.

I have already tried to check it visual. And i see marks. But it is so small space to look into. I need maybe dissasmble motor completely to check for sure. Thats why i'm asking if there is another solution to know.

But I think I will solder off the motor and check the windings resistance. Or can I measure them while connected to board someway. So I don' solder off the fancy factory solders on a working motor.
You can measure in circuit, the mosfets will be nit be damaged unless you exceed the gate to source voltage which the multimeter won’t.

It’s arguably an unnecessary step- you know the motors are damaged.

I am really not sure. I have never thught about it. But probably it had those beeping sounds. It is a Phantom 3 Pro with the new motors.

The motor have 3 wired. RED black and yellow. If I disconnect the black. And check current through RED and black. Does the yellow cable interference if I leave it connected. Or it has nothing to do with it?

Thanks Rod!!
I have know idea, my background in electronics is pretty basic, I don't know if mosfets would change the impedance when testing the motors, since I don't know what they do, I know it has been explained to me a few times, but I just don't get. I do know the difference of npn / pnp transistor is, or I did.

I would guess one of the wires, maybe the yellow would be data that reports the motor speed.

@With The Birds
Does he have to unhook the motors anyway?
I agree, that more testing he does, he may cook something else.

Rod

I have know idea, my background in electronics is pretty basic, I don't know if mosfets would change the impedance when testing the motors, since I don't know what they do, I know it has been explained to me a few times, but I just don't get. I do know the difference of npn / pnp transistor is, or I did.

I would guess one of the wires, maybe the yellow would be data that reports the motor speed.

@With The Birds
Does he have to unhook the motors anyway?
I agree, that more testing he does, he may cook something else.

Rod
No, he can measure the field winding DCR without desolderimg the field winding fly leads.

There is no “data” connection. Motor speed is determined by measuring the back EMF while running.

I’m still comfuswd why we are performing electrical measurements, physical inspection has revealed that the field windings have been damaged.

Reactions: RodPad
Hi there

I have been a little busy. So i had no time writing here. But so far, here is what I have figured out.
And the reason I made technical test is because I want to keep the cost down.

I choose to solder off all motors because I still had to do it in the end when replacing them.

I checked the resistance in all of them.

2 motors is shorted so I got no reading from them.

The other 2 had readings around. 000.5- 000.6 ohm.

But at visual inspection with my phones magnifier I found windings damaged in this motors. So even though they gave reading. I am not sure if it is so smart to use them?

Here is 2 links with pictures of the 2 "working" motors winding. What do you think?

Motor 1. Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Motor 2. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The first one is obviously damaged and still awaiting the link for the second.. As I said in post #3, motors are cheap. Retire them all and fit 4 new ones.....

2nd viewed... retire them all, retire them all!

Reactions: BudWalker
The first one is obviously damaged and still awaiting the link for the second.. As I said in post #3, motors are cheap. Retire them all and fit 4 new ones.....

Thank you Steve for looking at the photos. But I live in sweden. So it is not as cheap for me to order like if I would be living in usa. And the ones with China suppliers is maybe fake. I want the original ones. You know any good place I could buy them and they are original?

Friend of mine did the same thing after painting his (screwed into motor accidentally).. After replacing his motor, took it out for a test flight... hovered for a bit and then went nuts and flipped over and crashed.. breaking the Gimbal. ugh.

Friend of mine did the same thing after painting his (screwed into motor accidentally).. After replacing his motor, took it out for a test flight... hovered for a bit and then went nuts and flipped over and crashed.. breaking the Gimbal. ugh.

Omg. That would make me so angry. Replacing first the motors and then breaking gimball. It is really not cheap. Better buying brand new phantom. But thanks for sharing this. I will detach gimball during testflight. If it can fly without gimball attached?? Anyone knows?

How long time did he fly before it flipped over?

Thank you Steve for looking at the photos. But I live in sweden. So it is not as cheap for me to order like if I would be living in usa. And the ones with China suppliers is maybe fake. I want the original ones. You know any good place I could buy them and they are original?
I would suggest EBay from within Europe. Postage cost may not be so bad as you think. I've assumed that you have the later 2312a motors.

phantom 2312a motors | eBay

I would suggest EBay from within Europe. Postage cost may not be so bad as you think. I've assumed that you have the later 2312a motors.

phantom 2312a motors | eBay

Thanks so much. I will look if I can find the right one. Yes I have the newer engines like you said. That hardest thing buying from eBay. You don' know if you will receive original parts!

Thanks so much. I will look if I can find the right one. Yes I have the newer engines like you said. That hardest thing buying from eBay. You don' know if you will receive original parts!
OK - try these guys then. They sell P3 motors and are in Sweden. Prices seem good too....

Sök - motor phantom 3

2312a motors aren't listed only 2312 but I'm sure they'll have them...

I don't know what's happening with their search engine. I definitely found the 2312a motors but can't now... Ask them anyway.

Last edited:
OK - try these guys then. They sell P3 motors and are in Sweden. Prices seem good too....

Sök - motor phantom 3

2312a motors aren't listed only 2312 but I'm sure they'll have them...

I don't know what's happening with their search engine. I definitely found the 2312a motors but can't now... Ask them anyway.

I cant find the motors on their site. But i will senf them a pm so maybe they have the right motor.

Thank for makeing the search for me. I will come back with update when i have recieved the new motors. Maybe someone else have use of this phantom 3 repair thread!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4