Helicopter businesses losing to drone operators

Cutting into seems like an understatement. I would think they will all put put an end to helicopter photography work unless your client needs something from more than 400 feet.

Reactions: PapiGordo
Disruptive yes. Terminal?

Uber, Lyft vs. Cab analogy.

Continued automation to threaten ALL current paradigms.

It's amazing (and a bit unnerving) how a new technology can completely replace an industry -- especially if it happens to be your livelihood. I used to create graphics for presentations and I used a local service that would convert them to 35mm slides for a projector. Once Microsoft Office came out with Powerpoint, the 35mm slide services were all out of business within a couple of years. I'm sure it happens in a lot of industries.

I made a living producing corporate video. Betacam SP edit to 1" tape. The Media 100 (computer-based non-linear editing) was the writing on the wall and I got out. Today my consumer-based programs such as Cyberlink, Vegas Movie (not pro) and Adobe Elements replace and perform better than the $750,000 worth of gear my studio had. Sadly, all of the big post-production houses in my area disappeared.

Yeah, you see it happening all over. My daughter produces her own music videos. The program she uses on her laptop to record and edit her music (adding in multiple tracks of vocals and instruments) gives her the ability to produce near studio quality music without the need for a studio. Pretty amazing what she can do with her laptop. Drones are sure to change a lot of industries, including filming, security, delivery services, among others.

Original article: Turbulent times: Drones edging out helicopter film pilots, videographers

If your business is aerial photography via helicopter, then this would be a good time to diversify and get into drones. There are still situations where a helicopter will work where a drone wont do. Extended flying, flying above drone height limits, adverse weather, etc.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Drones certainly will replace most of helicopters businesses but not at the moment when the most versatile drone can run for only 35 minutes using two batteries and helicopters can run for a few hours without the need of gas. Of course, this is just a technology that just started few years ago and will become even better in the next few years.

most versatile drone can run for only 35 minutes using two batteries and helicopters can run for a few hours without the need of gas.

I know a TV station producer in Chicago. They love their helicopter but hate the cost. They have been studying and analyzing ways to switch to drones. But with the above factors and the proximity to O'Hare and Midway, the switch is a ways off.

I know a TV station producer in Chicago. They love their helicopter but hate the cost. They have been studying and analyzing ways to switch to drones. But with the above factors and the proximity to O'Hare and Midway, the switch is a ways off.
But that's not a bad plan... Helicopters cost a lot to keep with the maintenance compare to drones. In a few years, we may able to see drones reaching 60 minutes of flying time or more. Who knows. But one certainly is going to happen and its the helicopter's future in TV or movie production will be reduced and probably even replaced by drones.

Two areas that helicopters will always succeed at is medical transport and flying where drones can't. You won't see drones flying in our major cities for a long,long time, but helicopters can fly there... :)

Two areas that helicopters will always succeed at is medical transport and flying where drones can't. You won't see drones flying in our major cities for a long,long time, but helicopters can fly there... :)

I fly smack in the middle of Denver all the time (I guess that's a major city) and have friends to who fly in LA and NYC (all 107 ops)

Heli-Med ops and the drone industry are apples and oranges at this time.

Last edited:
Cutting into seems like an understatement. I would think they will all put put an end to helicopter photography work unless your client needs something from more than 400 feet.
you can get waivers to fly above 400 ' from the faa case by case

It's amazing (and a bit unnerving) how a new technology can completely replace an industry -- especially if it happens to be your livelihood. I used to create graphics for presentations and I used a local service that would convert them to 35mm slides for a projector. Once Microsoft Office came out with Powerpoint, the 35mm slide services were all out of business within a couple of years. I'm sure it happens in a lot of industries.

Well, when I talked to a realtor about aerial shots of a ranch, I called a guy who takes aerial pix from a plane. He couldn't leave the ground for less than $399.00 (US). I did it for $100.00 and got several referrals.

Reactions: jdharrin

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl