Has anyone ever flown in the rain?

Reaction score
I would love to get some lightning shots which would mean possibly getting the bird a bit wet.
Has anyone done it?
Are those silicone covers worth getting?
Any advice would be great. Cheers

Y
I would love to get some lightning shots which would mean possibly getting the bird a bit wet.
Has anyone done it?
Yip plenty ,,no remote skin available yet but yip need phantom wetsuit,,silicone skin no good,,needs to be full suit to divert water ,,if you search phantom wetsuits it come up,,p3 range now to,,mines or and gets plenty wet but like magic it dont get wet,,sun shade on cam helps,,quick dry off and it's ready for next flight,,you just need a umbrella,,,probably one of the best drone extras I have brought,, makes normal drone all weather except tornado,
20191226_205249.jpg
15900503883265873475750991779554.jpg

Has anyone done it?
I'm sure @PhantomWetSuits would help you with a wetsuit.

Has anyone done it?

We offer a really nice package for the Forum Members on the Wet Suits : not listed on the website.

The Wet Suits our made from Neoprene as the the Silicone material is heavier and tends to block the signal. so you want and need the Neoprene.

Email me at [email protected]
Will send you an invoice for the Phantom Twilight Package comes with all 4 Color Designs.

As you get to know the Wet Suits you will realize they solve a few of the Problems that the
Phantom 4 Our susceptible to beside flying in the rain.

Thanks for your interest.
Phantomrain.org
Coal

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 5.27.26 PM.png

We have plenty of videos on the Website of the Phantom 4 flying in the Pouring Rain

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I put one of the clear silicone ones on to fly between storms. It didn't fit tight on my P4P. It was a dronedeploy mission. Half way thru the grid the drone started making wavy lines.
I recalled it and tried to get it soft soft ground. About 15 up a wind gust flipped it over backward and it fell. Smashed up one arm landing in the mud. The Silcone skin had snapped and was acting like sail/streamer to catch the wind.

I put one of the clear silicone ones on to fly between storms. It didn't fit tight on my P4P. It was a dronedeploy mission. Half way thru the grid the drone started making wavy lines.
I recalled it and tried to get it soft soft ground. About 15 up a wind gust flipped it over backward and it fell. Smashed up one arm landing in the mud. The Silcone skin had snapped and was acting like sail/streamer to catch the wind.

This is one of the Reasons why we had to go with the Neoprene Adhesive and not a zipper or Slip over so that could never happen.

You just cannot beat the Benefits of the Adhesive Neoprene and how it can make your drone more bullet proof .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain
Coal

As others, Phantomrain Wetsuit is the Only way. Works every time. Have 2 myself. A camera lens shade adds additional protection from rain drops messing up your shots. Worth every penny. Phantoms can usually handle the winds commonly associated with rain, better than most, anyway.

Enjoy the rain! Dress accordingly (you and your drone).

Now you know lol

Has anyone done it?

I have flown in LIGHT rain with my Phantom 1 and P4P. Funny....of all the things people talk about regarding water-proofing their drones, nobody mentions that a single drop of water on the lens makes the shot unusable. So "water-proofing" one's drone is pointless...at least from a cinematic / photographic point of view.

Here's a frame grab from a video I took with my Phantom 1 with Hero3+ camera. The "fog" at the bottom of the lightning strike is a sonic boom, which makes this shot a little different from the usual lightning photos I've seen.

1590249612379.png

D

Last edited:
I have flown in LIGHT rain with my Phantom 1 and P4P. Funny....of all the things people talk about regarding water-proofing their drones, nobody mentions that a single drop of water on the lens makes the shot unusable. So "water-proofing" one's drone is pointless...at least from a cinematic / photographic point of view.

Here's a frame grab from a video I took with my Phantom 1 with Hero3+ camera. The "fog" at the bottom of the lightning strike is a sonic boom.

View attachment 118778

D
Hense, the lens shade. Works for sun and rain.

Had a red silicone skin on a P3 that was cute, cheap, but useless! Use the member discount for a real wetsuit.

Here's a frame grab from a video I took with my Phantom 1 with Hero3+ camera. The "fog" at the bottom of the lightning strike is a sonic boom.

View attachment 118778

D

Its a Beautiful Picture you posted , but we have to disagree on the water drops .

Yes you can get water on the lens but you can shake it off. What we find most of the time is that if you program the C2 to drop your camera down quickly you can get rid of the drops on the lens to shake right off and still take some nice picture.

We also find that its really hard for the Rain to even show up in the picture unless it down pouring really hard.

Here you can see the pictures were taken in the pouring rain , and the Phantom protects the camera pretty well yet you still cannot see the rain.

Ligntning-strike-5cac00912ce5c-1381x763.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-57-06-PM-5dd4e6ca0a2e7-1381x771.png

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-54-35-PM-5dd4e6bb349bb-1381x778.png

Another example of this is when we take the Drone into the Waves and notice how quickly the Lens clears itself of the drops of water , , just takes a little skill to keep the lens clear of the drops when you know how to use the C2 key to drop the lens quickly and the wind to your advantage and how to take off to protect the camera at the start of the flight. We have gotten pretty good at it.

Notice in the video below : Where the camera gets splashed , and how it clears . Go to 6:40 and you get a better idea on how this works.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. Try:

* Flying forward
* Tilting up
* Shooting into the wind (wind often accompanies rain)
* Any combination of the above

A hood small enough to not be in frame will do little against any of those conditions.

D

Harley Dude : Let face the facts you dont like playing in the rain, but for those of us that do, the Phantom Wet Suits our amazing for getting your drone in and out of the storm. !!!

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain and Capture the Award Winning Pictures.

Harley Dude : Let face the facts...

Facts like your remote control is still getting wet? Facts like YOU are getting wet...in a thunder storm??? I mean...if you're going to tout "facts," you should tout ALL the facts. Not just the ones you like.

"...you dont like playing in the rain,

I actually don't mind the rain. I just know that a drop of water on a lens stops production. Period.

but for those of us that do, the Phantom Wet Suits our amazing for getting your drone in and out of the storm. !!!

How about your controller? How about your tablet? Clearly, you never shot out on location. We don't all fly from our living room or SUV.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain...

Yeah...no. There's that whole controller issue....unless you're piloting from your living room or SUV....which is illegal if you're earning money. Now...if you're just "playing in the rain" and don't give a flying crap about the shot, well then by all means, put a skin on your drone and enjoy the deluge.

and Capture the Award Winning Pictures.

Said the man with not a single award-winning picture.

Okay...nice chat.

D

Last edited:
Facts like your remote control is still getting wet? Facts like YOU are getting wet...in a thunder storm??? I mean...if you're going to tout "facts," you should tout ALL the facts. Not just the ones you like.

I actually don't mind the rain. I just know that a drop of water on a lens stops production. Period.

How about your controller? Clearly, you never shot out on location. We don't all fly from our living room or SUV.

Yeah...no. There's that whole controller issue....unless you're piloting from your living room or SUV....which is illegal if you're earning money. Now...if you're just "playing in the rain" and don't give a flying crap about the shot, well then by all means, put a skin on your drone and enjoy the deluge.

Said the man with not a single award-winning picture.

Okay...nice chat.

D

I have to say I have always supported all of your threads, but your attitude and blatant dis regard for what I and others have shown you is disappointing ,
As far as getting wet its easy to find a little shelter to fly from , but we have shown in many videos how the Plus Controller can handle the rain.

Here is yet another video testimonial showing how the drops can be negotiated even when you least expect them.

Last edited:
Reactions: quadrotor
I have to say I have always supported all of your threads, but your attitude and blatant dis regard for what I and others have shown you is disappointing ,

I gave a snarky reply to a snarky comment. I happy to help, educate or learn. But I'm also happy to put someone in their place if they come off as a smartarse.

As far as getting wet its easy to find a little shelter to fly from ,

With all due respect, not when out on location. Shelter must be created, built, secured and monitored in case the wind kicks up...which it always does in a storm. Exactly what shelter do you "find" when you're shooting in the high desert without a tree or rock for miles?

but we have shown in many videos how the Plus Controller handle the rain.

Again, with all due respect, how about the myriad of other controllers that are used with DJI products?? Including those of us who fly with our own iPad. I wouldn't consider an iPad "rain proof" or even "rain resistant."

Look....my original comment was regarding water drops on the lens, which is a deal breaker on ANY shoot. The bozo ahead of me devolved it into a "PhantomWetSuits" thread. I'm sure your product is a fine product. And if flying in the rain is your thing for the sake of flying in the rain, then the WetSuit is for that customer. But I fly professionally...not racing...shooting video and photos. So drops of rain - even just one - on the lens stops production. Been there. Done that. Got the shirt.

So while I respect your position, we're talking apples and oranges here. My position is clear. Drops on the lens ruin the take. Your position is clear. PhantomWetSuits are effective. Apples and oranges. I didn't bring up the WetSuit thing. The other guy did.

Here is yet another video testimonial showing how the drops can be negotiated even when you least expect them.

DOP yells "CUT! Back to one!"

1590261858413.png

A drop of rain lands right on the lens...while flying BACKWARDS. This video literally just proved my point.

The guy turns his bird around for a second and gets this:

1590262322736.png

In the industry, this is what we would call a "ruined shot" or "useless footage."

Good day, sir.

D

Last edited:
I might be way off but this is the original Question that was asked. ? I would love to get some lightning shots which would mean possibly getting the bird a bit wet ?

I understand that you have a problem with water drops on the lens and I tried to lighten the thread a little bit but you seem intent on pounding it down.
If you watch the rest of the Video you will see that the Lens become completely clear which was the more valid point to the OP wanting to get some Shots .

Y

Yip plenty ,,no remote skin available yet but yip need phantom wetsuit,,silicone skin no good,,needs to be full suit to divert water ,,if you search phantom wetsuits it come up,,p3 range now to,,mines or and gets plenty wet but like magic it dont get wet,,sun shade on cam helps,,quick dry off and it's ready for next flight,,you just need a umbrella,,,probably one of the best drone extras I have brought,, makes normal drone all weather except tornado, View attachment 118740View attachment 118741
Awesome shot!

I might be way off but this is the original Question that was asked. ? I would love to get some lightning shots which would mean possibly getting the bird a bit wet ?

As I eluded to, you're asking the wrong question. And as I answered, YES, you can get the drone a little wet without a skin. But eventually the rain will drop the lens, which will ruin the shot. Is it POSSIBLE that the lens MIGHT clear in time for the lightning to strike???? Well....I SUPPOSE SO, but HIGHLY UNLIKELY. MORE LIKELY is that that ONE DROP will stick to the lens DURING your lightning strike, which will ruin the shot.

Why do you dismiss my answer? Quite literally, it's the most important answer in this thread so far.

I understand that you have a problem with water drops on the lens and I tried to lighten the thread a little bit but you seem intent on pounding it down.

Because you know why? No matter "how light" you make the conversation, those water droplets are NOT going away. You're turning a logic answer into an emotional one. I don't know how to say it any more logically. Drop of water on lens = ruined photo. To assert that "maybe the lens will dry" is absolutely preposterous. Based on my experience (which I'm trying to share with you), there is a 50/50 chance that the drop will even fall off the lens in the first place. Even LESS of a chance that it will fall off in time to get the shot.

If you watch the rest of the Video you will see that the Lens become completely clear which was the more valid point to the OP wanting to get some Shots .

So your point is that if you want to get lightning shots in the rain, as long as you fly out of the rain and away from the lightning, the lens will dry??? Why not just ask, "Can I shoot lightning from OUTSIDE the rain area????"

With all due respect, you're making zero sense. And dismissing my experience does a disservice to those who may be watching this thread. You want pilots to BELIEVE that they can fly in the rain without a care in the world regarding the lens. Quite literally, the LENS is the most important piece of the if SHOOTING PHOTOGRAPHY equation. So stop dismissing it like "just one drop of water is no big deal." It IS a big deal.

Good day, sir.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic