Guy at DJI New Pilot Experience Proves a Point...

Reaction score
One of the local Quad Specialty Shops had a "DJI New Pilot Experience" event yesterday. Went there to watch and learn something that I may have missed only being in this hobby a few months. They had a good turn-out, I'd guess well over 25 people.

The speaker did a great job of covering a lot of good info. One thing he covered was the use of CSC to stop the motors as opposed to holding the left stick in the down position. He explained what happens, that the quad can, and most likely will back flip, breaking props and potentially damaging your quad. So don't do it. (you already know where this is going)

So after the talk they go outside to an open area and allow the people to fly a Phantom (owned by the store) under the instructors guidance. Well one guy brought his P3P out (this was not a "fly-in" event) and decided to launch it behind the group. The instructor told him not to do that. Don't launch directly behind/near people (he was not more than 15 feet away) and to please shutdown his Quad. I guess in defiance it takes him a few minutes to land his quad even though it was no higher than 10 feet up. Well you guessed it, he lands it and must have done the CSC, I hear the "scrapes" of the props on the ground, turn just in time to see it flip and skid. In the process I get hit by pieces of the broken props.

The instructor simply said to the audience, "This is exactly why you don't use the CSC to stop the motors" and turned back around to help someone fly.

The dude fiddle with his drone and put it back in its case and stayed and watched without a word. While I felt a little bad for the guy, you couldn't have asked for a better example to not use the CSC..,

Play stupid games and one will win stupid prizes..........

Reactions: Sinisalo
I believe there is a time and place to use CSC. For example, you run into a tree or other object and your Phantom tumbles to the ground - upside down running wide open. Don't go over and try to turn off the battery like I did. Do a CSC.

Reactions: QuadBart
One of the local Quad Specialty Shops had a "DJI New Pilot Experience" event yesterday. Went there to watch and learn something that I may have missed only being in this hobby a few months. They had a good turn-out, I'd guess well over 25 people.

The speaker did a great job of covering a lot of good info. One thing he covered was the use of CSC to stop the motors as opposed to holding the left stick in the down position. He explained what happens, that the quad can, and most likely will back flip, breaking props and potentially damaging your quad. So don't do it. (you already know where this is going)

So after the talk they go outside to an open area and allow the people to fly a Phantom (owned by the store) under the instructors guidance. Well one guy brought his P3P out (this was not a "fly-in" event) and decided to launch it behind the group. The instructor told him not to do that. Don't launch directly behind/near people (he was not more than 15 feet away) and to please shutdown his Quad. I guess in defiance it takes him a few minutes to land his quad even though it was no higher than 10 feet up. Well you guessed it, he lands it and must have done the CSC, I hear the "scrapes" of the props on the ground, turn just in time to see it flip and skid. In the process I get hit by pieces of the broken props.

The instructor simply said to the audience, "This is exactly why you don't use the CSC to stop the motors" and turned back around to help someone fly.

The dude fiddle with his drone and put it back in its case and stayed and watched without a word. While I felt a little bad for the guy, you couldn't have asked for a better example to not use the CSC..,
That is interesting, I have flown hundreds of sorties and never had an incident in which the Phantom (or Inspire) reacted in a manner like this when using a 2-stick CSC. I use the left stick "throttle down for 3 seconds" when I hand catch, because that is the easiest and safest way to land in some situations. But I have never seen a Phantom 3 do a leapfrog from a CSC in all of my flights.

I've seen them jump around a bit. I think it's the fact that getting the sticks to the CSC location isn't instantaneous. It is right yaw/throttle down and left roll/back pitch until the controls bottom out and the CSC engages. The wrong gust of wind at the wrong time can flip it. My old 3DR Iris+ could very easily flip forward on shutdown for similar reasons.

Reactions: QuadBart

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl