GoPro Hero 4 and FPV

Reaction score
My set up is currently a FC40 with Tarot gimbal and I borrowed a Hero 3 (original, not plus) from a friend. I was originally hoping to pick up a cheap Hero 3+ when the new version came out, but they seemed to go out of stock pretty quickly. I've now had to give the camera back to my friend recently, so I need to look at my options.

The GoPro Hero 4 black is pretty expensive, but I was wondering what the wifi range and lag are like. I don't need to fly it totally FPV, but I could do with a usable wifi signal to line up shots. Sadly with the Hero 3 was pretty useless for this. Does anyone know how that lag and wifi range compare to the Hero 3 or 3+?

Failing that, perhaps I need to look at a proper FPV setup. Are there any reasonably priced (legal) options for me in the UK, or do I need to change the transmitter and receiver to 2.4GHz and buy some 5.8Ghz FPV kit?

I'm concerned that this is fast becoming a very expensive hobby, and am starting to wonder whether to stop now before it dents my wallet any more.

Hi
You do NOT want GoPro hero 4 for WIFI FPV . the range isnt more than 10meters.
Go for propper FPV instead, Just remember that your FC40 uses 5.8ghz for Remote control , so your FPV must be 2.4 or lower,
I dont know the law in the UK , but if here in Denmark 2.4ghz 10mw video is legal and 5.8ghz 25mw video is legal.

I have a friend that uses a digital Wireless rearview camera for a car , as FPV its ok as long its not more than 200meters away..

me i use the 2.4ghz 10mw FPV and i get the same meters as he does, though i do use the standard antennas witch suc... , in the new year i will buy some other biderectional antennas.

Happy New Year from S UK, I suffer the same problem with my Hero 3 Silver connection to iPad mini. Video tends to drop at 200ft or so you have no idea of the video content being recorded. I thought of a WiFi extender solution but this adds to the kit you lug around so also looking for a solution and as you say not to break the bank

Same boat here. I use the FC40 camera on the front for FPV but, as you say, no idea what is actually being filmed.

I was considering adding a Boscam to the video out on the GoPro (3 white) and doing away with the FC40.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez