Going handheld advice needed ?

Reaction score
As I was in a no fly zone, I tried some handheld landscape/sea vista shots passing across vegetation and a rock in the foreground to create some movement. The shot was only covering a distance of a meter or perhaps a little more and I just gently moved my arms from one side to the other. I was disappointed with the results and smoothness and I could not see the gimbal making a huge difference compared to had I shot it without the gimbal and a similar wide lens. It seemed far less steady than had I flown in tripod mode and done the same shot ? I shot in 50p so can slow it sown in post which will help a little with the smoothness.

Am I missing something here ? I would appreciate any thoughts and tips as to how I might improve things ? Would one of those handheld devices/grips advertised on Amazon make a big deference ? I had operated the shot with the props off and had a good stable grip holding two diagonal struts.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Handheld-Stabilizer-Conversion-Printing/dp/B01J5LEZZ0

Reactions: Hounddog
I have a hand-held gimbal. Gimbals (be it on Phantom or hand held) will steady tilting and rolling movement. But walking also produces straight up and down vertical bounce, which these gimbals cannot compensate for very well. You just have to try to walk with very little up and down movement with your steps.

Thanks yes I hear you, these were just small movement shots so no walking required, just a three foot jib up or track across, may be one step required. I do quite a bit of steadicam/glidecam work with bigger cameras so have some experience with this type of work and movement, so was just surprised that the result was not better and therefore thought I might be doing something wrong and not engaging the gimbal correctly ? The gimbal in my opinion is excellent when flying, so no problems there .

That is odd, about and hour ago I thought I bet that P4P if hand held would produce video better than my go-pro 6 on a Smove gimbal stick. I walked around my house slowly and it was amazing! Way better than my Samsung 8+ and great Smove.
I found walking slowly even holding it up aloft produced some awesome footage. 4K and very smooth. But it sounds as though you are used to much better quality with expensive gear foxtrot. But if you were doing say a house for real estate I think the combination of hand held integrated with flying would be awesome.

Yes might be true John, having said this it's disappointing not to be able to use the handheld material all the same. Had I being following a moving subject handheld, then I'm sure the results would have been more acceptable and I could have got away with it.

Reactions: Hounddog
I have since tried walking in a park after a flight and it is difficult to get rid of the bounce. You have to walk very slow and deliberate. But the quality if you do get to steady it is far better than my Samsung 8+ on a Smove stick and the Gopro 6. What I did do in class the other day teaching kids to fly a Tello is to put active track on the P4P, with out props, trained on me and then a student and it worked with great footage. But, as you know, any drone camera is not good at footage while in yaw. They are brilliant in a straight line forward and backward. At anything but a very long distance, even the P4P, produced very poor footage, like most cameras I suppose, except very good none drone ones.

I use this gimbal on my P3A for stills. Wasn't the best buy because I had to cut and file a lot of it to make it fit properly, but once I did, it works great.
upload_2018-6-3_8-56-58.png

I just ordered this to use on the P4P and the P3A

upload_2018-6-3_8-32-9.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic