Getting ready to do the Inspire 1 tablet holder mod. A couple of questions.

Reaction score
From what I understand the post on the Inspire mount is smooth, no threads. So does it just go into the threaded nut insert just for alignment. The nut insert doesn't really hold, or connect to it? It doesn't really support any weight?

If the nut insert is 1/4'' threads that means that the actual shaft size is smaller than 1/4''. Right? Can anyone tell me what it is please. I assume it's around 3/16'' because that's what size hole you drill to tape a 1/4'' thread. I have an idea I'm working on,,,lol. But I don't have the mount in front of me.

What does DJI use on the Inspire and P4 radios to hold that shaft in place?

Last edited:
How to Drill & Tap for a 1/4-20 Bolt

Drilling and tapping a hole in thicker gauge metal is a fundamental part of fabricating metal. Using the optimal drill bit is imperative in producing a functional and strong final tapped hole. If the drilled hole is too small, the bolt will be hard to thread. This can result in damaged threads on the bolt. A hole that is too large will result in a loose bolt, which will not have 100 percent of its structural strength when fully tightened. For a 1/4-20 bolt, the optimal drill bit size is #7 or 13/64ths.

How to Drill & Tap for a 1/4-20 Bolt

Drilling and tapping a hole in thicker gauge metal is a fundamental part of fabricating metal. Using the optimal drill bit is imperative in producing a functional and strong final tapped hole. If the drilled hole is too small, the bolt will be hard to thread. This can result in damaged threads on the bolt. A hole that is too large will result in a loose bolt, which will not have 100 percent of its structural strength when fully tightened. For a 1/4-20 bolt, the optimal drill bit size is #7 or 13/64ths.

Well thank you for taking the time to write all that.

But all I'm trying do is figure out if there is slop where the shaft goes into the nut insert,,,lol.

Here's some pictures of my Inspire 1 holder.
4c2b5e9f94438c351220e0985e9bc5b3.jpg

db5e4a4a0749b868e3511804f1d2406a.jpg

This is the video I used when I did the job on my P3S - I also installed a DBS at the same time, and it worked out perfectly! This guy "nails" it :D so watch closely .

My P3S:
View media item 1861View media item 1862View media item 1862View media item 1863View media item 1863

I seen that one. But I really don't want to thread into the plastic like that. Everyone who does that really buggers up the knurling. I want to avoid that. For some reason I have it in my mind I want it removable. Maybe to fit in a case. IDK,,,,lol.

Reactions: Gulfstream
Here's some pictures of my Inspire 1 holder.
4c2b5e9f94438c351220e0985e9bc5b3.jpg

db5e4a4a0749b868e3511804f1d2406a.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Can you see down in the hole in the transmitter where the shaft goes in. Is there there a clamp, or trim ring or something.

Hey. How about you take your radio apart and take a pic,,,,lol. Just kidding of course. But do you see anything down in there. Or is it to tight.

Thanks for the pics. Can you see down in the hole in the transmitter where the shaft goes in. Is there there a clamp, or trim ring or something.

Hey. How about you take your radio apart and take a pic,,,,lol. Just kidding of course. But do you see anything down in there. Or is it to tight.
ec8ad115ff5b03ef4443561952c03701.jpg

Check this video at about 4:25

Wow. Thanks for the pic,,,,lol.

So that's basically like a little metal cup. Kinda like a thimble?

Is it a tight fight. Looks like it doesn't really do anything except align things.

So if you secure the shaft in anyway that just another added anchor point. Does that sound correct?

Yes, if you check the video I posted above its just like a hollow shaft that it slides into.

I seen that one. But I really don't want to thread into the plastic like that. Everyone who does that really buggers up the knurling. I want to avoid that. For some reason I have it in my mind I want it removable. Maybe to fit in a case. IDK,,,,lol.

Understand... however not "everyone" who does it screws it up :rolleyes: it's fairly simple. I actually have ryantrax's solution as well. I ordered a sleeve that goes into the hole that you drill. So... there is still drilling involved, it simply depends on what you want / need the end result to be. In my situation since I was adding the DBS the cutouts in my case allowed me to keep the props attached, and controller w/holder attached. :)

Understand... however not "everyone" who does it screws it up :rolleyes: it's fairly simple. I actually have ryantrax's solution as well. I ordered a sleeve that goes into the hole that you drill. So... there is still drilling involved, it simply depends on what you want / need the end result to be. In my situation since I was adding the DBS the cutouts in my case allowed me to keep the props attached, and controller w/holder attached. :)

Where did you order the sleeve?

Does the free spinning knurled thing on the shaft thread into the sleeve? That would make sense.

Last edited:
I'll try to find it for you. It wasn't an Amazon or Ebay order so I don't have a quick answer. But my wife keeps every receipt "known to man, and little boy's with toys", :D:D so I should be able to locate it. I did not implement it, but bought it as a backup in case the bracket wasn't strong enough, which is FAR from the case. it's as sturdy as a rock. No flex or wiggle.

I think I have it figured out. Just hard to do with out the mount in my hand,,,lol.

I'm never going for the free shipping on amazon again. I could have all ready had it if I paid for the cheapest shipping.

If things go right the install will be clean, secure, and REMOVABLE!!

Stay tuned.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT