Gatwick airport closed due drone reported in area

There were photographs and video, shown on BBC 24 news and Sky News repeatedly during Thursday, plus printed in daily newspapers.

The CEO of Gatwick claimed on more than one occasion that a drone was above the airfield as he was speaking live on air. Police around the airfield were "buzzed" by a drone on at least one occasion.

And a quick additional comment about journalism. The majority of senior journalists and TV presenters go on holiday just before Christmas. As of today, and for the past couple of days, the junior wannabees take over. Whereas I'm sure there is sloppiness amongst some of the senior media people, there is undoubtedly inexperience and a lack of attention to detail from the juniors who are often just pleased to have their chance of getting on air or covering (belatedly) a "big story".

No official videos or photographs, the CEO is just saying what he's been told, i very much doubt he actually see it himself, and on "live TV" means nothing unless the camera pointed upwards and filmed the drone.

Sorry but i just want official proof, until then i remain very highly sceptical about the whole event.

Reactions: capposteve
I was thinking . . . why not find a couple of these youngsters who have hand-eye coordination that are the envy of most of the old farts in charge at Gatwick and get them to fly there racing drone at the target and crash into it and bring it down and compensate and pay them handsomely . . . just a thought.

I was thinking . . . why not find a couple of these youngsters who have hand-eye coordination that are the envy of most of the old farts in charge at Gatwick and get them to fly there racing drone at the target and crash into it and bring it down and compensate and pay them handsomely . . . just a thought.

The best pilots are automated.

How do they legitimate the sightings ? Is it the same way any other UFO sighting is legitimated ?
The drone sightings have been repeatedly seen by airport staff, police, passengers, and the general public. There are still photos and film. There is no mystery - other than who did it and for what reason.

I saw the police officer being originally asked by the journalist if there was a possibility no actual drone ever entered the airfield space and the resulting media mess was predictable - with only part of the answer being commonly reported, out of context - not least because we live in the age of 24-hour news where journalists are constantly wanting updates and and fresh angles (regardless of the actual facts). It doesn't help that police spokesmen are trained in the art of public relations rather than straight talking, mainly to protect their backsides and future career prospects. I have said more in previous posts.

As usual, it all comes down to detail, detail, detail. I'm a scientist by training and it's not difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. This is why, for example, I was able to conclude the two former suspects were likely innocent several hours before they were released (see earlier post). To summarise the last few brilliant words from "The Martian" (excellent Ridley Scott film): you just need to keep doing the maths.

There's an additional £10,000 reward, making the total amount £60,000 - a bit more than I earlier mentioned.

Reactions: sar104
As the "Merry Christmas" thread seems to be closed, Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to everyone wherever you are in the world. I would especially like to thank the moderators and others involved behind the scenes who make this forum worthwhile.

Reactions: coco777
The two people arrested and later released - former suspects - have just spoken publicly for the first time. They feel "deeply distressed" and "completely violated". Two nights spent in custody when there was zero evidence against them. Sussex Police should be ashamed, but they won't.

The two people arrested and later released - former suspects - have just spoken publicly for the first time. They feel "deeply distressed" and "completely violated". Two nights spent in custody when there was zero evidence against them. Sussex Police should be ashamed, but they won't.

Were the reasons that they became suspects to begin with ever published? If they were then I missed it. In any case - I hope that they are suitably compensated for their ordeal.

That must be it, because Gatwick is the only place on earth with lamp posts like that. And there's a 787 on finals in the background. Gotta be. **YAWN**

I have no idea how many places have lamp posts like that, but it is clearly shot at the North Terminal bus station on Furlong Way, looking south over the runways. You can argue it might have been filmed on a different date, but that is unambiguously a largish quadcopter flying over Gatwick Airport.

Were the reasons that they became suspects to begin with ever published? If they were then I missed it. In any case - I hope that they are suitably compensated for their ordeal.
There was no valid reason. The police now accept 100% that they arrested the wrong people. The couple are well-liked locally, with the man known to be a responsible drone and remote-controlled helicopter enthusiast. One near-neighbour stands out from everyone else and has previously complained about him flying drones from his property. So no prizes for guessing who was the person who tipped off the police. The ordeal (good word) they've been put through has obviously had a significant impact and they're currently receiving medical help. The man, a hard-working window fitter, is no wimp - yet he looks shattered and devastated, having endured such unwarranted treatment for two nights and a day.

For anyone who still disbelieves the seriousness of what happened from 9pm Wednesday evening until 10pm on Thursday, there were multiple reliable witnesses. I know of at least 10 separate policemen, a captain/pilot of an airplane on the airfield, security staff, and other airport professionals - not to mention passengers, arriving/departing public, and media professionals.

The drone found damaged on the perimeter fence is being forensically examined.

And is anyone really still claiming there was no film or photographs? I've lost count how many times various footage of reasonable quality has been shown on TV news.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Yes, I have. there have been videos of drones flying over Gatwick runways all over the UK news programs for the last 5 days. Please don't try to tell me they are faked. They're not.

I agree it’s fake too. All the press and not one high quality photo of said drone anywhere. And now the police are saying there may not of even been a drone. Haha

It would be great if the "witness" could be arrested over this false charge.

It's started
CASA just announced this morning that they will be implementing new technology in the the year to "better manage" drone usage down here.

There was no valid reason. The police now accept 100% that they arrested the wrong people. The couple are well-liked locally, with the man known to be a responsible drone and remote-controlled helicopter enthusiast. One near-neighbour stands out from everyone else and has previously complained about him flying drones from his property. So no prizes for guessing who was the person who tipped off the police. The ordeal (good word) they've been put through has obviously had a significant impact and they're currently receiving medical help. The man, a hard-working window fitter, is no wimp - yet he looks shattered and devastated, having endured such unwarranted treatment for two nights and a day.

For anyone who still disbelieves the seriousness of what happened from 9pm Wednesday evening until 10pm on Thursday, there were multiple reliable witnesses. I know of at least 10 separate policemen, a captain/pilot of an airplane on the airfield, security staff, and other airport professionals - not to mention passengers, arriving/departing public, and media professionals.

The drone found damaged on the perimeter fence is being forensically examined.

And is anyone really still claiming there was no film or photographs? I've lost count how many times various footage of reasonable quality has been shown on TV news.

OK - so it was just a disgruntled neighbor. That's unfortunate. As for whether it was real, there is at least one video published that was unambiguously taken from the North Terminal bus station showing a quadcopter flying over the airport.

Dropbox - Gatwick_drone_video_daily_mail.mp4

Reactions: With The Birds
It's started
CASA just announced this morning that they will be implementing new technology in the the year to "better manage" drone usage down here.
Yes- they will be running aeroscope at major airports and certain major attractions.

I’m happy I paid cash for my drones and have nothing linking them to me. Not because I am breaking the law btw- it’s just this is getting a little ridiculous.

Yes- they will be running aeroscope at major airports and certain major attractions.

I’m happy I paid cash for my drones and have nothing linking them to me. Not because I am breaking the law btw- it’s just this is getting a little ridiculous.

All mine are registered with the FAA, and I have no issues with that since I don't intend to use them illegally. What is getting ridiculous?

As you should.... I share that view. It’s private foreign entities and unauthorised persons I can live Without.

You mean DJI? I think that they care far more about advancing the technology and making money than trying to acquire personal information, but it's not that difficult to avoid sending them any data if you still have concerns.

Reactions: Phill2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20