Gatwick airport closed due drone reported in area

Has anyone in any position of authority actually seen one of these drones near Gatwick, or is all the panic on the basis of phone-in complaints from “concerned” citizens?

Has anyone in any position of authority actually seen one of these drones near Gatwick, or is all the panic on the basis of phone-in complaints from “concerned” citizens?
I have seen the video footage of the drone on the news reports.

Let's say I want to introduce strict drone laws. What would be the best course of action, given that the public has no pro or contra bias.
I would simply fly over an airport around the busiest time of the year, causing disruption for thousands, bad news all around.
How much easier would it be to get the public on my side to ban drones (or at least restrict them hard)?

Reactions: capposteve
There was a drone or drones repeatedly seen by officials. Now, a crashed drone has been recovered along the airport perimeter.

One reliable witness, as I reported much earlier, saw a man in his 30s frantically packing away two drones - one 4ft and the other 2ft. He was a cyclist, wearing high-vis.

Psychology is the key to this crime. The two suspects thankfully released (eventually) did not fit one of several very likely profiles.

The thing that doesn't add up for me is the fact that this drone scare proceeded for many hours and if the video of the drones is to be believed then it would have been a small Phantom like drone. That being the case the range it could fly in an urban setting is not likely to be more than 3km and probably less given the RF noise and obstacles. How can it be that with thousands of CCTV cameras scattered everywhere in the UK as well as the combined efforts of numerous police and military organizations that they were unable to find the perps.

My guess is someone will be talking to GCHQ about methods for triangulating the position of RF transmitters operating in the frequency and with the signature of a drone remote -- we have similar technology that even lessor investigative organizations have to track cellphones and pinpoint the location.

Brian

Well now. That is different. I’m in Florida and there is no arrest without evidence. It is ironic since their detention in this case, that the drones have suddenly stopped. I’m not sure how they even operated near an airport with geo fencing. Unless it was the toy type drone. That’s reLly a shame as some people already have negative views of drones. I say, stop calling them drones but call them for what they are. Uav’s ,however, that is a dream.
In Florida you can be detained and questioned up to 24 hours. As for the Geofencing, this is a DJI only features. Autel for example does not restrict the pilot over airspace.

So the people arrested are released and it seems the whole thing might have been a modern-day “ufo sighting”variant with no actual drone at the scene. Police defend Gatwick drone investigation as they refuse to rule out theory that it never existed
d4d307162dbdbf58980cf18f0fc72787.jpg

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Tipp off from the locals who said they were model flying enthusiasts He does not have a drone and was at work when it was going on.. 36 hours later the police release them.. Finger pointing by knowalls destroyed them and their house was searched 'thoroughly' for evidence????????? It might all be a false flag report of the drone which never existed. Paranoia takes over in the authoritarian mind. Mass hysteria is a common happening.

What is all this talk about there never being a confirmed sighting of any drone??? It WAS seen, many times, and caught on video. This HAPPENED!

Yes, I have. there have been videos of drones flying over Gatwick runways all over the UK news programs for the last 5 days. Please don't try to tell me they are faked. They're not.
Well, I suggest you send links to *all* this evidence to the BBC, ITV, Sky, CNN et al, because they don't have any. Just a fuzzy picture of a paper bag blowing in the wind

Yes, I have. there have been videos of drones flying over Gatwick runways all over the UK news programs for the last 5 days. Please don't try to tell me they are faked. They're not.
In that case, as you're a drone enthusiast let me ask you what kind of drone was it? Like, make and model? Nobody else knows of this mythical drone with stealth capabilities and 4-hour battery duration

Last edited:
Reactions: capposteve
Let's say I want to introduce strict drone laws. What would be the best course of action, given that the public has no pro or contra bias.
I would simply fly over an airport around the busiest time of the year, causing disruption for thousands, bad news all around.
How much easier would it be to get the public on my side to ban drones (or at least restrict them hard)?
Why just go to such extremes? Just phone the nearest ATC centre and say you've seen a drone over Gatwick. The number is readily available on the 'net. You won't have to leave your name or number, they will just close the place down in a fit of hysteria. And you won't risk getting caught, putting in the slammer for 20 years and having your gonads chopped off, which is what some forumites advocate

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomas Wangen

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT