Funding a drone for high school

Reaction score
Dear forum members and drone enthusiasts,

I am a Dutch physics teacher. I would really like to use drones during my classes, unfortunately I cannot afford one either personally or using school budget. That’s why I started a Indiegogo campaign ( CLICK HERE to support Een drone voor school! - A drone for high school! ) to be able to buy one. I would love your support with this project. Either by donation or publicity.

I thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Rik de Reus

Yes robsquad.

Do you have any questions for me? I can imagine you have.

Last edited:
I have one of those. I use one of those, but I have other lessen ideas where I would need a bigger and more stable drone with a good camera.
I have lesson activity plans in witch I can use it. I am alway's looking for new activities. I am also a writer for the dutch national society for science education and as such develop new activities. I would love to use the drone to film students from above while the run and use the footage learning them video measurement (using coach lab). Also I would like to learn my students to code. I already use simulators and lego robots for that, but a drone would be a new league and a great motivational tool. My biology colleges go into the fields and check the habitats with students learning them to recognize them. A top view would be helpfull to give them insights to how they work together. I teach in a area with a lot of farmers, drones could help them monitor the crops. And my students are the future farmers. I thing they hold even more options, but I would need more time with a drone to figure out all possibilities, but I believe that if I start using drones now, my students could be having a big advantage later on.

I got inspired by stories like: Taking flight: Brandon High School teacher creates drone program to ‘put students ahead of the curve’

Bourbonnais School To Use Drones As Teaching Tools

How Drones Teach Kids Science & Math

Last edited:
I have a big problem with people wanting funding for a UAV I have seen this type of thing on KS guy was going to help the animals made over a 100k . Bought a phantom 1k said it flew away and left the backers with nothing scam .
The phantom is not that much money we have a guy here that is fixing and reselling P2V's for $500 what is wrong with that ? Let me guess you want a 5k UAV and someone else to pay for it by using the kids/teaching as a excuse ? How about getting what you can afford or even better build a UAV with them they will take that knowledge with them even further in life .

I do not want a 5k drone. I do not need a 5k drone. I I raise to much I will buy mutiplw done and donate them to other schools and help the teachers over there to start up what I want to startup myself.
I would love a dji phantom 3 advance with a case and extra battery. That's it.
I expect I will not raise enough money to buy it from donations only. But buying one with no extra funding will cost me a months pay.
You do not have to donate, you do not have to share the story. But I would appreciate it and I know my student will to.
By any means necessary you are allowed to (come and) check me and my story out.

Last edited:
why not just get the kids to do some fundraising and then buy a 450 frame so they can build it instead ?
much more involved than opening the box and gets them involved with prop angles/motor power/battery power.................

why not just get the kids to do some fundraising and then buy a 450 frame so they can build it instead ?
much more involved than opening the box and gets them involved with prop angles/motor power/battery power.................
I have 9 different groups. Buying them all frames would be to expensive.
And if it's a succes then next year the other 30 groups/classes want it too.

While if I buy one drone I could probably teach all of them what I want right now (not what I dream of for the future). Maybe next year we would need two to get all groups involved. But it's a investment for years to come and I do not have to buy a lot of them over and over again.

If it could be possible to build a drone each year with each class/group that would be awesome. We do build lego robots each year with all first graders, but those are easel recyclable.

I have 9 different groups. Buying them all frames would be to expensive.
And if it's a succes then next year the other 30 groups/classes want it too.

While if I buy one drone I could probably teach all of them what I want right now (not what I dream of for the future). Maybe next year we would need two to get all groups involved. But it's a investment for years to come and I do not have to buy a lot of them over and over again.

If it could be possible to build a drone each year with each class/group that would be awesome. We do build lego robots each year with all first graders, but those are easel recyclable.
sorry but thats bull, you can build 2+ frames for the cost of a p3

Reactions: 750r
sorry but thats bull, you can build 2+ frames for the cost of a p3
I trust your experience. I thought that not possible.
Though I have some questions. How would you recycle them trough years? How many and what new parts would you have to buy? How many would you build in a group of 30 students (age 14/15)? Could you build then safe enough to fly above the group during other experiments for video recording?

i think you need to learn a bit more before wanting a quadcopter , flying over people is a real big NO regardless of who they are.
as a teacher you should know research is everything
I was in a model plane and multicopter shop and a representative from parrot was in store. I asked him about it after I told him in detail about my plans. According to him the bebob could do this without problem ands safety issues if you stay above 10m.

I was in a model plane and multicopter shop and a representative from parrot was in store. I asked him about it after I told him in detail about my plans. According to him the bebob could do this without problem ands safety issues if you stay above 10m.
no its not guarantee'd that it will not crash or be a problem !
the only thing in this life that comes with 100% guarantee is death !

Reactions: 750r and Clampit
no its not guarantee'd that it will not crash or be a problem !
the only thing in this life that comes with 100% guarantee is death !
There are always risks with science classes. But they need to be within limits.
With the research I did it should be within those limits. Before recording experiments outside from above I want to make at least 60 to 80 flying hours so I am sure I have a lot of control and experience to handle the situation. And during the experiments there wil be at least one instructor present to keep an eye out.
From the research I did the p3 should be safer to use than the bebob.

you did not do enough research, flying over people is an ultimate NO.
what if it come down and put 8 stitches in to a students arm ?
How far away from other people would you consider acceptable? In my plan the drone would stay about 15m up and15m to the side at least.

The mythbusters tested the risk of slicing one open using drones. According to their research unless you are using carbonfiber propellers the slicing risk using consumer level drones is very low.
Mythbusters Tests Killer Drones - InformationWeek

I understand you need to minimize risks. But you cannot teach science, be practical and have zero risks.

Last edited:
I really hope you do more research on your lessons you teach than you have in here !
I hope ya the best with your project but think you have seen you need to Read way more in here than it seems you have !!!!
Have you ever even had a drone ? If not maybe ya ought to get one and learn it before you teach it !

I really hope you do more research on your lessons you teach than you have in here !
I hope ya the best with your project but think you have seen you need to Read way more in here than it seems you have !!!!
Have you ever even had a drone ? If not maybe ya ought to get one and learn it before you teach it !
Thank you.

I have done more research than I now tell. For example I also checked all local (drone) laws to see if I would be breaking any. Talked to the cops to verify what I found. Talked to a professional drone pilot who films with drones for a living.

I do own 2 drones. A hubsan and a secondhand old parrot. I have used them to explain how a drone works, but not to fly with or in class.
I would not trust either of them with the job I want a flying drone to do during outside experiments. I did test fly a bebob and p3. I have enough confidence that the p3 can sefely do the job with some more training.

Thank you.

I have done more research than I now tell. For example I also checked all local (drone) laws to see if I would be breaking any. Talked to the cops to verify what I found. Talked to a professional drone pilot who films with drones for a living.

I do own 2 drones. A hubsan and a secondhand old parrot. I have used them to explain how a drone works, but not to fly with or in class.
I would not trust either of them with the job I want a flying drone to do during outside experiments. I did test fly a bebob and p3. I have enough confidence that the p3 can sefely do the job with some more training.

So, you'd fly a P3 in class?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures