Full speed then a tree comes from nowhere

Reaction score
Here is the closest I have been so far to murdering my phantom, I didnt see the tree until very late and so see what happens :lol: :cry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOhC601nLVM[/youtube]

For those into 3D here it is in stereoscopic 3D.
http://youtu.be/kysf8jSSpDE

Lucky I was using my heavy 3D setup so it was a little slower then it could be but this also makes crashes more expenive flying 2x hero3 black camera's.

Nicely done, almost looks like you had ment it . . .

Nice flying btw! I have much to learn!

Hehe thanks, it does look like some planned precision flying but it was a shear fluke.

I did do some of my better flying on this set of flights overall with some deliberate proximity stuff but not quite as insane as this particular move. I noticed with my 2 cam setup I lose about 15-20kmh top speed as I struggled to keep up with the cars down the road, its an 80kmh zone but with just one cam I have passed a few cars and not many actually do the speed limit on that road.

Gosh, you should hold a weekend Phantom flying camp for the timid flyers-speaking for myself, anyway.

That was a fun video clip to watch. Wish I had a way to view the 3D version. From the speeds you're quoting, I assume you're flying in manual mode, correct? Or can you go that fast in Atti? Listed max speed is 36 km/h, but that could only be ''enforced" in GPS Atti.

Steve

martcerv said:
Hehe thanks, it does look like some planned precision flying but it was a shear fluke.

I did do some of my better flying on this set of flights overall with some deliberate proximity stuff but not quite as insane as this particular move. I noticed with my 2 cam setup I lose about 15-20kmh top speed as I struggled to keep up with the cars down the road, its an 80kmh zone but with just one cam I have passed a few cars and not many actually do the speed limit on that road.

Yes this is in manual mode but with quite a heavy 1.3KG phantom when using my 2 cam setup, the spec speed looks to be enforced in GPS mode and it can go quite a bit quicker in ATTI or Manual modes. ATTI has no limits but the altitude hold and self leveling means you do need to fight the controls quite a bit for more aggressive flying where in manual it becomes quite natural with minimal control inputs needed. My 3D setup is also a touch nose heavy as I have my 2 cams a bit further forward then if using the stock mount so it flys quite a bit differently to how it does with just the one cam.

The 3D effect I think is pretty cool and I have sorted out the sync and convergence settings pretty much now, I am just uploading some better flying with a few bits cut from the few flights I did here. I originally had a bit of a sloppy mount that was causing me some jello issues I didnt have before trying my 2 cam. But these flights in full sun and some ND filters I had pretty much zero jello in a hover or at full speed so its all sorted now.

Here is a bit more flying from this day just a few highlights from the 6 flights pretty much all manual mode flying here I think and I was practicing some lower slower laps in this mode around my test track too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHY5zXXk5E[/youtube]

Overhead showing the site and where I was, bottom right of yellow line which is 500m long.

mjla.jpg

Video link was good at all times but radio gave up once not all that far away but in the valley with lots of trees around me at t1 of the track when slow in atti only centimeters off the ground.

martcerv said:
Here is the closest I have been so far to murdering my phantom, I didnt see the tree until very late and so see what happens :lol: :cry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOhC601nLVM[/youtube]

For those into 3D here it is in stereoscopic 3D.
http://youtu.be/kysf8jSSpDE

Lucky I was using my heavy 3D setup so it was a little slower then it could be but this also makes crashes more expenive flying 2x hero3 black camera's.

I didn't think there was a 3D set up for the GoPro Hero 3. Can you provide some details?

Thanks

D

My 3d setup is all DIY as there is no official gopro solution, so I figured id try my own.

Critical thing is camera physical alignment and that they are kept locked together very well then you need to get frame sync perfect. I have used premier pro to sync multiple videos plenty of times in the past so as long as I have good indicators I can do this pretty easily. I use my fpv screens timer to sync and double check this is spot on scrubbing through the footage. I also found the point where I engage motors will show the props first movement or their shadows which are also great sync indicators.

Being just 1 frame out will ruin the 3d effect so this is very critical but i first just manually press both shutters together and then fine tune in post. My mount has been getting better with each revision to where its very solid and consistent now. Basically some industrial 3m dual lock velcro type tape and carbon fiber pieces that lock the cams together and then joined to my anti jello mount.

I am using those same props and have seen as high as 49mph ground speed in ATTI mode according to my FPV OSD. Max speed is half that in GPS mode.

Speed id say here about 60-70km it does go quite a bit quicker when just running the one camera. I kept up with cars on the freeway with 100kmh speed limit when flying my lighter 1 cam setup, on these flights I struggled to keep u with cars going down the road which is an 80kmh limit here but not many cars go that slow there anyway. I have been caught going way faster then that by the police :eek: just lucky for me I knew them.

I am surprised that gopro never made a 3d kit for the hero3's especially as David Newman CEO of cineform is a big 3d fan, I would prefer to use cineform for all the 3d settings but I cant adjust time sync using cineform for 3d so I had to abandon that approach. It makes things so much easier but I have tried everything possibly and it just wont work with protune hero3 black footage. You can make a 3d file but cant manually adjust the time sync, it didnt work with the beta v2.0 so I doubt the final version will do any better but I havent tried.

The prop guards would surely have killed me, lucky they never came from DJI even though I apparently won some in the video contest. :lol: Not that I would really use them but for LOS flying I would stick a couple at the back to help with orientation.

I do feel that eventually I will have an impact with one of these invisible trees but got seriously lucky on this occasion, as I dont think I could fly through that gap at just faster then hover speed normally. If you check my longer video I think the gap in the trees on the track is a fair challenge. I did get rather close there on the second lap too but will try some lower level stuff with the futaba radio as it should be less glitchy in amongst the trees as the DJI stock radio is.

graybeard said:
I guess that answers the question "would you like to be very, very GOOD at what you do, OR would you like to be very, very LUCKY??"

I'm telling ya, luck is a wonderful thing!
stay lucky,

Graybeard

Id like to be both but today I was neither, ran clean out of luck and pretty big pilot error to be pushing the little toy radio way too hard where it shouldnt be pushed.

Lets just say if you lose the radio at high speed and high pitch angle in manual mode close to big trees. RTH wont save you :lol:

The phantom is tough as and the ND filter saved my lens, but I am down pretty much down a full set of props, but still lucky as it could have been much worse lucky I hit a tree and not the concrete or any of the other big solid objects made of bricks.

jfo0.jpg

This what I saw on my FPV screen but luckily someone else saw it go down and pulled it out of the tree for me. Was a bad place to be doing such flying and I think I have learned a pretty big lesson here. Though I completely lost radio it was still 100% pilot error for ever getting into that situation in the first place in a very stupid place to be flying a bit risky.
w69y.jpg

Yeah, Martcerv, you are a bad influence :) Inspired by your high speed footage, I started racing around my flying field. All was well until I thought it would be a nice shot to have it zoom over my head on the video. For that shot, I took my eyes off the video feed and controlled it line-of-sight since I don't really have a good feel for how close objects are in the video. Last thing I needed was to get hit in the face at 49 mph. Anyway, because I was not looking at the video feed, I failed to notice that I was a lot closer to a tree than I thought and, after passing over my head, the Phantom ran fill tilt into it. Only lost one prop, but the gopro took the worst of it. GoPro still works, but now has a nice dent and crack in the case. One thing that really sucks about the gopro is in the event of a... well.. event, you lose the last 30 seconds of video (apparently there is a 30 second buffer before the video is stored on the sdram). Would have liked to have seen that video.

Hehe sorry but it gets addictive just try and be safe, I did do some real stress testing of the stock radio and my FPV setup. Going to install Futaba 8FGs tomorrow. I will put up a video of the earlier flying over the golf course, I did a quick 100m GPS ascent to start and test out how high 100m actually is. I dont think I have got to that height very often maybe only the one time I went beyond that when I got caught in an updraft near a dam wall.

Range wise stock radio was starting to play up on me with a few glitches and not what yu want when flying low and fast but crashing isnt going to hit anyone so I was only risking my craft. I didnt have clear LOS as there are some big trees between me and the golf course about 40m tall and I flew from my street not on the course. I wanted to see how it would react low and having these trees between me, video was fine but started breaking up around 500m away at 700m when raising altitude it was crystal clear and control was fine. But control had a few lags in various places either behind lots of objects or 600m+ distance, sad thing is I had it flying so smooth even in quite a breeze so hope I didnt also bend an arm but it ended up in a very thick bushy tree with just some scratches and broken props it seems. Had I hit concrete or a tree trunk it would have been just about a write off I think.

My crash was at only 200m away but lots of big thick trees in my LOS, video feed was good but losing control completely there was not a good thing. I was going quite fast and low to see how it would go but as the failsafe does have a bit of lag to it I lost control completely for a couple seconds and instantly flicked to atti then GPS to try and stabilize it but I think it was in fail-safe and just didnt have enough time to slow down before doing some neighborly hedge trimming. :lol:

Hmmm. Appears I have more damage than I thought. Need new bearings on one motor (soft, high-pitched, screech when I spin it with my fingers and I can feel an occasional catch when I turn it slowly). Ah well - probably due for a tune-up anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl