Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

You are mistaken. The registration for commercial flying is much higher than the $5 fee referenced in previous replies. The registration associated with the $5 fee applies to any drone above a certain weight (I think the minimum weight is around one-half pound).

BT

Who is mistaken?

FAA Aircraft registration is $5 for 3 years.
Aircraft Registration – About Aircraft Registration Renewal

Please show your work.

All drones between .55 lbs. to less then 55 lbs. must be registered. Does not matter if for fun or commercially. The registration number can be put on any witch way, marker pen. tapped label, etc. or in my case a copy of the registration in the battery compartment of my DJI P4.

You are mistaken. The registration for commercial flying is much higher than the $5 fee referenced in previous replies. The registration associated with the $5 fee applies to any drone above a certain weight (I think the minimum weight is around one-half pound).

BT

Wrong. In America, commercial drone registration is 5 bucks.

BT

Uh, no. Commercial registration is still $5 per aircraft. Granted you have to pay $150 to get a 107, but it's still $5/per aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: N017RW
Exactly. Somebody didn't make the least bit of effort to do their homework.

Something about this "friend of a friend" story seems fishy to me. How would the neighbors know whether the drone was registered? How did the "aviation police" (Is there such a thing? I don't think so.) get access to the drone to prove the friend of a friend even owned a drone, much less whether it had the registration on it?

"No, officer, I don't own a drone. Must be someone else in the neighborhood."

By the way, the OP had his questions in this thread answered in December when he had similar concerns back then: How Does the FAA know what drone I am flying?
Agree!

All drones between .55 lbs. to less then 55 lbs. must be registered. Does not matter if for fun or commercially. The registration number can be put on any witch way, marker pen. tapped label, etc. or in my case a copy of the registration in the battery compartment of my DJI P4.

good to know. :)

And the winner of the most quoted thread goes to .........

stubblefield ! !

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

Here are my questions. Do you have to put the faa number on your drone?
If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?
Lucky I wasn't the cop. I would have locked him up. Get a licence or keep ya bird on the ground. Follow the rules din and stop complaining

So to be clear if you fly a Drone strictly for recreation you only have to register yourself as a pilot, but if you fly a Drone commercially you have to register the drone as well. Correct?
If you fly for commercial purposes you need the registration of your aircraft plus take a test called part 007.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wow, I guess this is the first unconfirmed case of someone actually getting in trouble for flying without registration. Or the first time I've heard of someone getting in trouble at-least.

Wow, I guess this is the first unconfirmed case of someone actually getting in trouble for flying without registration. Or the first time I've heard of someone getting in trouble at-least.
I am pretty sure he did something extremely prohibited and I am guessing that he flew the drone closed to an airplane or in the airport. Which can cause the pilot of the drone to be in deep trouble.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna