FPV Stutters to the point of being useless

Reaction score
I gave a Phantom III Pro. Latest firmware on RC and the drone itself. Using an iPhone 6+ as the FPV device.

Video taken from SD card is fine.

I don't use it all that often. First noticed it a year ago using the DJI app. At that time it was recommended I update everything and try again. Someone else recommended I use Litchi instead.

So this time was with everything updated and through Litchi.

Litchi works pretty good from a mission planning standpoint but the FPV video is still nearly worthless. Probably alternates between 5 seconds frozen and 1/2 second working on the FPV video.

I will try the updated DJI app soon but I expect it to be the same.

Any ideas? Thanks.

IMG_7172.PNG
Flew it with the DJI app. Sometimes it worked well, other times it was poor. One exceptionally bad time the screen popped up with this message.

Before I opened the DJI app I force closed all of the other apps. Is there anything else I can do to conserve CPU resources? Why did it work well for part of the flight, then work poorly, then work well again for the last 2 min or so?

View attachment 86074 Flew it with the DJI app. Sometimes it worked well, other times it was poor. One exceptionally bad time the screen popped up with this message.

Before I opened the DJI app I force closed all of the other apps. Is there anything else I can do to conserve CPU resources? Why did it work well for part of the flight, then work poorly, then work well again for the last 2 min or so?

Did you really miss that big "warning" label? Additionally, if you run Litchi, cache video to your phone *and* video the screen (a neat function easily available in Litchi) your phone is going to be incredibly busy - apparently much too busy!

Before you fly, it also might not be a bad idea to make sure every unnecessary app on your phone is stopped/shut off.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Did you really miss that big "warning" label?

It seems like you're implying I did not see it. Did you read and understand the text that I typed under the picture? I said:

One exceptionally bad time the screen popped up with this message.

Additionally, if you run Litchi, cache video to your phone *and* video the screen (a neat function easily available in Litchi) your phone is going to be incredibly busy - apparently much too busy!

In this case it was not Litchi, it was the DJI app.

Before you fly, it also might not be a bad idea to make sure every unnecessary app on your phone is stopped/shut off.

Again, in the text after the image I said:

"Before I opened the DJI app I force closed all of the other apps. Is there anything else I can do to conserve CPU resources? Why did it work well for part of the flight, then work poorly, then work well again for the last 2 min or so?"

It seems like you're implying I did not see it. Did you read and understand the text that I typed under the picture? I said:

In this case it was not Litchi, it was the DJI app.

Again, in the text after the image I said:

My apologies. I think part of the problem is that you spread your post/comments across several separate posts, but I'll accept some of your criticism about my observations of your experience.

Be that as it may - what you're describing is (in my humble opinion) the overloading of your device - in this case your iPhone. In so many cases of "stuttering" or similar, the tablet/phone/device is too hot and/or too overworked. Maybe an app that's hidden in the background - trying to run phone functions at the same time, etc.

I have a relatively fast (and reasonably-sized memory) iPad Mini 4. During the real heat of summer - I'm talking central Florida in July, with humidity in the 90% range and a heat index of 100 or more - after a couple of short flights things start to get balky. *And* as I pointed out, if I add "screen record" in Litchi (or screen record with a separate app), it starts to act goofy even before it gets hot.

Even without being "over-burdened" your phone (or my tablet) has a lot to keep track of. Every time there's an update (new version of software or new firmware) the "load" being carried tends to increase.

A last thought - are you by any chance using your iPhone as a "hot spot?" Many users seem to think they need cellular services to fly a Phantom. The maps can be cached before you fly. I've flown for years without any cellular capability in my iPad Mini.

Good luck

Reactions: Numone
My apologies. I think part of the problem is that you spread your post/comments across several separate posts, but I'll accept some of your criticism about my observations of your experience.

Be that as it may - what you're describing is (in my humble opinion) the overloading of your device - in this case your iPhone. In so many cases of "stuttering" or similar, the tablet/phone/device is too hot and/or too overworked. Maybe an app that's hidden in the background - trying to run phone functions at the same time, etc.

I have a relatively fast (and reasonably-sized memory) iPad Mini 4. During the real heat of summer - I'm talking central Florida in July, with humidity in the 90% range and a heat index of 100 or more - after a couple of short flights things start to get balky. *And* as I pointed out, if I add "screen record" in Litchi (or screen record with a separate app), it starts to act goofy even before it gets hot.

Even without being "over-burdened" your phone (or my tablet) has a lot to keep track of. Every time there's an update (new version of software or new firmware) the "load" being carried tends to increase.

A last thought - are you by any chance using your iPhone as a "hot spot?" Many users seem to think they need cellular services to fly a Phantom. The maps can be cached before you fly. I've flown for years without any cellular capability in my iPad Mini.

Good luck

Thanks for the comments. I probably did make it confusing to follow with my original two posts. I appreciate your thoughts.

Your 4th gen iPad mini has the same processor as my iPhone 6+ so it's quite interesting to me that you're mostly successful with it.

I am going through the settings attempting to turn anything off that doesn't need to be on.

I do leave cellular data on although it sounds like I don't really need to. In fact it sounds like I could just put it in airplane mode if I wanted to.

I am not using the phone as a hotspot though. I do frequently use it as a hotspot but not while flying.

I'll try a few more things based upon your thoughts. Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl