FPV or Not ?

Reaction score
Thinking about jumping to FPV. Any comments , issues etc. Just wondering how much more fun it can be.

I just started myself. It is very cool being "in" your quad as you fly. I took a spotter with me for the first flights. I didn't want to keep taking the goggles off to check position and then put them back on. All went well.

The first time I flew with my goggles without a spotter, was the day I almost lost my Phantom. I went up, put the goggles on and flew around a bit. By the time I realized that the Phantom was not responding when I pulled the sticks home, it was too late. I got too high and got caught in some wind. I pulled the goggles off and tried to get it back. It landed in a soft crash about 1/2 mile away. I found it 20 minutes later.

So.... yes, I personally like FPV but it's really different than looking at your quad through it's "eyes" as compared to when you are flying with your eyes....but not hard to get used to.

Dtacmed said:
Thinking about jumping to FPV. Any comments , issues etc. Just wondering how much more fun it can be.

You need to fly FPV! It's so fun and addicting! I can't say enough about it! And you can get some great photos and video!

FPV rocks, simple as that. I fly FPV at least 90% of the time now
It's especially handy if you're going for the best possibly quality video. - and you really want to be able to frame your subject for stills (helps having a gimbal as well of course).

The key is playing it safe, and being as aware as possible where your Phantom is at all times - never fly backwards or sideways unless yo know what's behind/on the side of you!
- and making sure to use a timer so you never run out of battery.

One possibly update to consider is the mini iOSD, requires the PMU2 and some updating inside, but boy it's cool
Let's you monitor the battery, how many satellites you're getting, and shows info no how far away from home you are, and what direction home is!
theoretically you could be flying in the dark and still be able to find your way home!

Some questions on miniOSD:

-Is it a piece of hardware/sensor?
-What`s the weight?
-where Do I buy it?

I would love to have battery monitor, sat count, distance and height if possible. I look forward to your reply, I just got my FPV finally completed after pestering all you guys with questions. My first test lost signal at about 80 meters or so, perhaps due to a big antenna nearby.

One possibly update to consider is the mini iOSD, requires the PMU2 and some updating inside, but boy it's cool
Let's you monitor the battery, how many satellites you're getting, and shows info no how far away from home you are, and what direction home is!
theoretically you could be flying in the dark and still be able to find your way home![/quote]

rotorhead42 said:
Some questions on miniOSD:

-Is it a piece of hardware/sensor?
-What`s the weight?
-where Do I buy it?

I would love to have battery monitor, sat count, distance and height if possible. I look forward to your reply, I just got my FPV finally completed after pestering all you guys with questions. My first test lost signal at about 80 meters or so, perhaps due to a big antenna nearby.

theoretically you could be flying in the dark and still be able to find your way home!
[/quote]

Almost any store that sells DJI has the DJI iOSD mini.

In Europe Stockrc or electronicarc has it for 59€.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164