Flytrex vs iphone app for logging?

Flytrex really needs to upgrade the modem on Flytrex Live to transmit in 3G or even 4G. I know the power requirements might be higher, but it's gotta be done. I flew in a small city the other day in Ohio (pop. around 30,000) and my Flytrex Live was having a really difficult time transmitting data (blinks green) even though T-Mobile coverage maps showed I should've had good 2G where I was flying. I flew up to 300 ft. above-ground altitude but I still only got about 30 seconds of flight data transmitted to the nearby cell towers even though I was flying around that altitude for 12 minutes. This is simply unacceptable for a $200 product!

This modem upgrade needs to be done sooner rather than later, or else this potentially great product will become obsolete in the U.S. since 2G is rapidly becoming obsolete by 2015 or 2016 by all the major wireless carriers.

Your move, Flytrex --- and you better move fast!

FWIW, I really like the app. There is still data being streamed even when the video stream is too weak, so you would have to be 100% outside of the 2.4 range to not log data with the app. I don't see the need to wiring up another piece of hardware to my P2V+ that provides little (if any) benefit.

I decided on.... both!

I like the utility app, its cheap and it works.

But, for $49 and super simple plug and play- i also ordered a flytrex core 2.

The Live *COULD* be a game-changer.... but not YET - at least for me (because of the 2G).

As soon as they (or someone else) comes up with a 3G version- I'm in in a heartbeat.

flyNfrank said:
I have worked with Flytrex Core2, Flytrex Live Tracker, and the Vision+ Utility's Logger. I have countless hours with the FLT, and currently working in the same direction with the Vision+ Utility Logger.

Currently..... When comparing the three, a App and two devices, the best currently is the Core2.
-The Core2 is $50 + shipping, best to be bought from a dealer for much much quicker shipping. Very dependable, data can be used in Google Earth, as mentioned, and used with other hardware then just a vPlus quad.

- The FLT $190 + shipping, again buy from a flytrex dealer per shipping. This unit is in it's early development stages. It is NOT recommended for those in the US due to currently being dependent on the Dying 2G format. It's perfect for all other countries that good for 2G format. With this being $190+ it sits in it's own class due to the amount one is investing. This device is heavily dependent on a website being online since it is sold as being Live. In current state this one get the 3rd position. It has a lot of promise based on info I have received from the developer. But until this setup is minimal 3G compatible per the US, I would not even refer it to someone I didn't care for.

-The Vision+Utility App is priced based on the device it's being downloaded to. I believe it's under $9. The app is in middle stages of development and belongs to a developer that listens and works with members on improving the app. The app is not 100%. As cahutch mentioned, the current issues is with the logger. If it were not for this, I would easily place this one as #1 of the three on the list. The logger is currently functioning at a 80% level mainly due to millisecond gaps increased in last update. Prior to the developers last revision update, the logger was closer to functioning the 90% range. I personally have been working with the developer daily, we are close to getting the logger dialed in. Once that happens then the developer can add extra logging options. Keep in mind, the Vision+Utility App has numerous other features! Increase power separately to Range Extender and Camera Wifi, is a Huge Bonus. Also has ability to secure the connection coming into your vPlus.

The Vision+Utility App has just moved to the #1 position!

After joining a team of other beta testers located around the world, I'm happy to report the Vision+Utility App is functioning very well. Even though I had numerous hours and test flights in to this app when I last spoke of it in this thread, I wasn't going to give it credit until it had proven worthy. Well, now it capable of getting the job done, plus more. The fact that it cost less then $9 (android) it should sell itself. I don't think I need to post pages of info on why it is what it is. I would rather help anyone who might have it to understand how to use it instead. The developer has been working on this app around the clock since I have been involved with it, which makes it nice knowing it gets better each day. Just added was an included .kml file, and it's own Data Profile for use with Dashware software. No need to use other programs or import into whatever, It's ready to go right out of your device whiich ever you use. I use a 2014 Nexus7 Tablet and it has a 200 millisecond sampling rate. This means it records it's the data from your quad every 200 milliseconds. Some devices are at 250, 350, and 500 milliseconds. The 500 milliseconds in testing came from a ipad mini. But it's doubtful there will ever be any problems there because that is a consistent rate. If the 500 was happening while joined with 1,000, 1,500, or 2,000, then there may be an occasional issue.

Btw, you may have seen I also mentioned including a .kml file. This means you have a .kml files that is ready to go straight to Google Earth where you can drag & drop it right on the page and it show your flight in detail.

And of coarse we can not forget that this app also includes the ability to increase the transmit power to the Range Extender, Camera, as well as the ability to encrypt your passwords.

So did they do anything to improve the interface? So you do go and have to set your desired power level each time for one?

rrmccabe said:
So did they do anything to improve the interface? So you do go and have to set your desired power level each time for one?

improve the interface? Absolutely. Without it would have never functioned properly.

.......each time for one? I'm not too sure what this question is trying to say. But as for selecting the transmit power level, yes it's there with optional settings. And, of coarse you still enable it if you want to use that option.

I downloaded it last night, tested it today, I got at least 90% improved performance on FPV and Transmitter, I am more interested in the KML and csv file, where are they? All that I can find on my tablet is a RAW file??? I am looking for Google Earth Logging, I do not have Dashware yet....

RCF - DRONE said:
I downloaded it last night, tested it today, I got at least 90% improved performance on FPV and Transmitter, I am more interested in the KML and csv file, where are they? All that I can find on my tablet is a RAW file??? I am looking for Google Earth Logging, I do not have Dashware yet....

Forget it... Figured it out.... After several tests.... It seems that with a Rooted Samsung S3 Tab 7.... I cannot just click the Export All, I need to hold Export All down...Count to 3... then itr downloaded both the csv and kml files (this may help someone sometime) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you got it going. The google earth is the only thing I know that will display the vertical parts of the flight.

flyNfrank said:
Good to see you got it going. The google earth is the only thing I know that will display the vertical parts of the flight.

Havent figured that out yet... :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj