Flying Through a Giant Water Pipe

2 choices ...
1. ATTI mode all the way and I would definetly take some nice slow trial runs through that pipe. You might be surprised by it - also considering if you're shooting a subject going through it, you will be looking at other things beside your Phantom, etc. I would practice with the vision system both ON and OFF ... not sure how it will behave in that environment, are you?
2. could try 'beginners mode' with a distance and altitude limit to help stay within your operating params ...

Let us know how it works out and I might also ask if this concrete pipe is filled with rebar ... certainly do NOT calibrate the craft anywhere near that thing ...

Set your fail safe to hover or land (pros and cons to both) but definitely not RTH.
I have to ask out of curiosity where is this thing? Is it connected to a reservoir?

Why use a drone at all?
Exactly. I have a steady grip from my yuneec q500 and that sees a lot of action- as much as the drone does. I'm considering an osmo rig next. A steady grip ground rig is essential to have as part of the gear. This shot may actually turn out easy, so good luck flying it. Also be sure to record every single flight. Often times the first practice run is the best one of the bunch. Record every attempt.

Does home lock and course lock work without gps?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Course lock and home lock require GPS

Being a pipe, safe altitude is a bit of a relative thing. Since the inside of the pipe is curved the altitude increases to the sides at the same time the ceiling curves down. Fly down the middle of it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Being a pipe, safe altitude is a bit of a relative thing. Since the inside of the pipe is curved the altitude increases to the sides at the same time the ceiling curves down. Fly down the middle of it.

I think you meant "decreases".

Course lock and home lock require GPS
Yea, they require gps to initiate but after initiated will home lock or course lock be deactivated with the loss of gps inside the tube?

I did a straight flight through a building, and found keeping it steady was a challenge in ATTI.
VPS was not helpful because there is a pit in the middle of the floor that freaked it out.
The best result was to just fly though at speed which allowed me to keep it generally on path.

The best footage was made with the aircraft strapped to my car!

This video shows the best free flight, strapped to the car, and the GoPro attached to the side of the car.

I was able to get some awesome shots! Thanks for everyone's help!
Glory Hole Export_4359.jpg

Reactions: mikesmiley
Nice! How'd it perform? You fly in ATTI?

Where is that? I grew up in Sacramento, was skate rat in my teens, and the only skateable full pipe I've heard of anywhere around here was the glory hole outflow pipe at Lake Berryessa.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj