Flying Over SpaceX HQ - Legal?

Reaction score
I’m a Phantom (P3S) pilot myself who also frequents the SpaceX subreddit on Reddit, and recently, someone posted a video of a drone flight (not sure if it was a Phantom) over the rocket SpaceX has on display there.

This particular Falcon 9 rocket was the first successfully-landed orbital-class booster, hence its importance to the company (and the fans with their drones).

Many people in that post are discussing whether the flight was illegal. The booster is approximately 1.5 miles from an airport, so it's obviously illegal if he didn’t get permission from said airport; however, some are saying it's illegal to fly over SpaceX property in general, thereby endangering their booster. If he did get permission, what about the flight is illegal?

Here's the post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/co...n_display_the_inside/?st=JG9JT59P&sh=31c453fb

Under Part 107, if the airport is in Class G, you don't need an Airspace Authorization. The "permission from said airport" thing only applies to hobbyists (which perhaps this guy was). Flying over an inert rocket is not a problem, in itself, unless a TFR exists.

The reddit / instagram comments seem more concerned about private property legalities vs airspace.

The location there looks to be Class D airspace, surface to 2500, right next to Hawthorne (KHHN) airport and just inside the 5 SM limit of LAX. Hobbies can give notification and fly, Part 107 would need an authorization.

In question also would be if any of the flight took place over people or the cars on the roads. I could imagine using the sidewalk / parking there for take off / landing and being very careful to not overfly people / cars.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures