Flying In Class D Airspace

Reaction score
When I boot
up my phantom 4 it says I am in class D airspace and fly with caution. I got the B4UFLY App and the only places within 5 miles of my location are ADAMS helipad and CASE LAKE COVE ISLAND seaplane base. When I looked up ADAMS helipad it says it is a privately owned personal use helipad, and for case lake cove it also says privately owned. So do I have to call anyone to fly legally in this area? The app says I need to contact them and my drone says I'm in class D but do I have to contact anyone? I'm in the U.S in the state of Michigan.

Neither of the places you mentioned would be class d, that requires an airport with a control tower. I would call them just as a courtesy, remember, as a hobby flier you are just notifying them not asking for permission. While it is unlikely that a class d airspace would extend out beyond 5 miles, it might happen. In which case you could be in class d but outside the 5 miles. You really need to look at a sectional chart to find out. If you are sure that there are no other airports within the 5 miles, fly. Another app you might want to try is the one by Airmap AirMap.io

Thanks that app really helped but what should I do if the airport doesn't answer their phone? Can I just leave a message?

That's what I do at my local airport.

... ADAMS helipad and CASE LAKE COVE ISLAND seaplane base ...

Without a better guide to your location, if you're on the NW side of Cass Lake you'd be in Class D for KPTK Oakland County Intl airport. B4UFLY does show it. Remember with B4UFLY you have to set the point of the location before it'll show the overlying airspace as it doesn't do live updates as you scroll.

Airmap.io (web) doesn't seem to show it. The IOS app is misleading as it shows "Cass Lake - Cove island Airport" as "Strictly Prohibited" and only an Advisory for "Pontiac Class D", when clearly the point of interest I select is in both areas.

When I boot
up my phantom 4 it says I am in class D airspace and fly with caution. I got the B4UFLY App and the only places within 5 miles of my location are ADAMS helipad and CASE LAKE COVE ISLAND seaplane base. When I looked up ADAMS helipad it says it is a privately owned personal use helipad, and for case lake cove it also says privately owned. So do I have to call anyone to fly legally in this area? The app says I need to contact them and my drone says I'm in class D but do I have to contact anyone? I'm in the U.S in the state of Michigan.
I triangulated your position on a map and and aviation sectional...Case Lake is about 5 miles south of Flint and about 3 miles South of Bishop Airfield...dude you are in one heavily regulated airspace sections..you have Class C airspace to your immediate North and Class B airspace to your South East..there are a bunch of Class D airfields around your area. Now you didn’t tell me your exact location, but I’m betting you are under some controlled airspace. Oakland County International (KPTK) is very close to the locations you mentioned and that is in fact Class D airspace and the Aviation sectional tells pilots to refer to NOTAMs for effective hours of operations...which indicates your Class D is part time. So I looked up the NOTAMS for that airfield here is what it says: call airport manager 248-666-3900...it “offers Class D service” ...call them find out when the Class D is in effect, it should align with when tower is operational/ manned.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr