Flying at 18,000 feet

One thing that I would recommend is paying VERY close attention to the drone while flying at those sorts of altatudes. The air is pretty thin up there so the drone may behave differentially. Don't get carried away taking photos, keep your eyes and ears open (often if its quiet you can here if the drone is doing something it shouldn't be, even if you can't see it) if you can see your drone while your flying I strongly recommend watching it at least as much as the screen, just keep flicking between the two.
But definitely do take plenty of pictures and videos;)and don't forget to share them here, we would all be very interested.
Lastly, get as much experience beforehand as possible.

FAO blackcrusader: A few weeks ago, a forum member kindly sent a PM suggesting you were probably the expert when it comes to flying a drone through and above cloud. He pointed me towards another forum, which I joined but it wouldn’t allow me to post anything. I’ve just seen (above) that you’re also on here.

If you search “clouds” you’ll easily see the relevant thread and an explanation of what we’re filming.

Look forward to hearing about your experience and any advice.

I flew above the clouds and 3000 meters above sea levels a few times. Here are my observations:
1) Some clouds are very wet and moisture that collects over the lens may impair visibility. Other than that I did not encounter any issue.
2) I had to descent because of wind gusts in some of my flights,
3) In one of my flights I lost connection with the drone and RTH worked perfectly,
4) Most of my flights were in the summer season thus battery temperature was not an issue for me. But in winter season or in very high altitude it may be problem,
5) Keeping the drone in VLOS is crucial. Rapidly moving clouds or a sudden change in cloud shape may block visibility.

To uncover this beautiful sunset I had to fly above the clouds [emoji6]

I have flown at 11,000 ft. in the Rockies with no problem. Battery temperature stayed within parameters easily -- I think discharge heat keeps them warmer than ambient.

Density altitude can vary siginificantly from absolute altitude the higher you go, so I would be careful to compute density altitude whenever you fly around the ceiling limits. This means you'll have to carry your own thermometet and barometer, because weather info and Internet is very hard to find in those environs. I have been over Kunjerab Pass in N. Parkistan, and it is very, very lonely country.

TimpNorth_Drone_HDRb_med_WM.jpg

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Guys You can't fly a drone above 17999 feet, your entering controlled airspace at that point, where jets or any plane have to have a IFR flight plan and be speaking to ATC, have transponders etc... Plus at those altitudes I would be surprised if you would get any lift at all due to density altitude

You must be the village idiot who thinks pilots file flight plans to fly their planes into the sides of mountains. DJI drones are capable of 6000m altitude. How do you know what the controlled airspace is in the area the drone pilot wants to operate?

I get comments about how I should not be flying my drone at 13000 feet because of aircraft etc etc
Complete bollocks from the dodo heads who don't even know the conditions of where I fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: landmannnn
Thats the problem with these picture, they are so **** tempting to want to rocket up there, Mods Mods Mods I think about getting them at times like these so I can visit the clouds.

Those shots are from a P3S using the Argtek Antenna. That way I keep signal and have most of my flights flown at max height and max distance has been 4550m or near 15,000 feet, could have gone a bit more but battery low message on app to bring the drone home and got back with 25% remaining.

For the OP. Others have made great comments about flying at height. Remember to look at the clouds to see which direction they are moving however winds can have layers where clouds below and above travel in opposite directions. I have a good video of this. Bring a few batteries and plan on max 15 min flights. So get out take your vids and photos quickly. Batteries can get cold and get to low power levels quickly.

This video at around 3300m look at the clouds above ripping past. Look at the ones below. Sunrise at Jade Mountain which peaks just under 4000m.
Clouds blocked the sun. PS with the wind behind came home at a leisurely 52mph 85khm :) Watch in full screen. Looks calm up there but isn't.

Reactions: OOO
Also the best times to fly can be the sunrises and late afternoons and sunsets or the golden hour.
Bring some warm clothes, lots of hot soups etc lol

Reactions: Neon Euc and OOO
x2 for the effects of altitude on your decision-making. Until you've experienced it you have no appreciation of just how unable to make rational decisions you are.
Solo, at 22,000' in the Himalayas, I spent about an hour trying to decide if the suicidal gap in the peaks was really the pass I was looking for; is half convinced it was right and half convinced I couldn't be.

Clear thinking is not an option - be prepared for slow reaction times and muddled thinking, so fly with plenty of leeway.

I imagine the bikes won't thank you for being at that altitude - read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

I live for reading/watching rtw Motorcycle trips. Is your wife’s trip documented somewhere? Last year I hosted Steph Jeavons here at my house for a couple of days on her RTW.

FlightPlan: My answer is going to disappoint you. There was no media documentation that I’m aware of. It took place over 20 years ago. My wife now looks back on that part of her life as an indulgence and waste of time. There were certainly plenty of “adventures” and iffy moments. Her “spirit of an adventurer” is strong. I’ve just asked what bike they used and she’s forgotten exactly which one. It was BMW R-something - a cross between a touring and off-road bike. My wife could barely touch the ground with her feet. And to illustrate how she’s massively moved on from those days, she’s never heard of Steph. (Sorry.) Today, she is a superb off-road driver in our Land Rover Defenders or bakkies. And an overall exceptional human being, known by everyone as “Wonder Woman” (long before the recent movie, although she looks similarly beautiful as the actress).

You must be the village idiot who thinks pilots file flight plans to fly their planes into the sides of mountains. DJI drones are capable of 6000m altitude. How do you know what the controlled airspace is in the area the drone pilot wants to operate?

I get comments about how I should not be flying my drone at 13000 feet because of aircraft etc etc
Complete bollocks from the dodo heads who don't even know the conditions of where I fly.

Wow
I guess you know what your talking about then,
You must be a professional pilot???
Don't open your mouth and put your options on here unless you know what you are talking about, and as far as controlled airspace, I don't care where you are 18000 feet requieres a flight plan, I know because I am a pilot and have been flying for over 40 years world wide, in fact some country's are even lower than that

Do a google search for "Vortex Ring State" and study the problems with vertical descent. This effect is much more pronounced in thin air. I have flown at 13,000 feet. (still within 400 feet of the ground). Good luck!
Joe
KC7GHT

I know this area well.

Be advised that flying - even having - a drone will cause you a lot of problems. Not advised.

Take care about altitude sickness - if you're flying in - stay in Leh for 48 hours. Keep well hydrated. Just simple precautions - I'm an unfit chain smoker and was fine.

TIP - take the first flight out of Delhi - 05:15 and pre-book a lefthand seat - awesome photo opportunities over the himalayas...

Good luck for the flight, can't wait to see the pics and vids [emoji4] can't add anything more that's already been said... But remember... You come first way before your drone. If you start to feel unwell traveling up the mountain, even if your just 10 metres from the top, don't risk your health and keep going up there.

As said... Bring oxygen, warm drinks and food, and don't forget gloves, can't fly with out them [emoji6]

Also check that your "return to home" settings are set correctly. Its going to be an epic flight. Even if you dont get to the top, no matter where you launch from the video and pics will be amazing

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl