Fly or no Fly

Reaction score
First off let me say I am not trolling or trying to start any issues. I just want to know where I can fly my drone. I see a lot of mixed signals.
First off this is just for recreation, I live at the edge of Omaha. And when I bring up B4UFly or AIRMAP is says I am right at the edge of 2 converging airstrips. I went and checked them out and they are 2 farmers airstrips for ultralights and "probably" used a couple times a year if they are used that much.
I have seen that a class D airport has to have a manned tower, these would most definitely not have a "tower".
That said it says you have to call "no answer at the numbers I could find" but I also hear that officially I have to notify and get a waver from FAA.
Now today I read that someone was flying at Las Vegas circus circus and that is definitely in LAS and another major strip to the north.
Now I want to follow the rules but I need to know where I find the official rules. I assume The FAA would be the one to follow but would I be the only one following them?
I would appreciate someone that actually knows to help enlighten me so I can legally fly
Thanks
Joe

If it's just a farmers airstrip stop at his house n ask. He's pretty in his shop this time of year. Go huskers

That is my next step. But I still need to know if it is legal with the FAA. And the one Farm place has a locked gate down by the road. I will continue to contact them.

Thanks
Joe

I honestly do not know even with a 107. The entire thing is really screwed up, imho. If I fly for "Hobbyist" I'm supposed to call local airport where I'm near. That number is for a tower 40 miles away in a Class D area when I used Airmap. So I call that number and get a FAX machine. How does one deal with a FAX machine at a FAA tower or whatever it is that you are supposed to contact?

In Airmap, you can chose between Hobbyist and 107 Commercial in the app settings. The 107 makes the radius smaller in the Class D than if in Hobbyist mode. Technically, you should put in a waiver for 107 and wait it out for weeks or months (Airmap doesn't mention this so maybe it has changed with the radius?), but the hobbyist can fly immediately if they can contact someone other than a FAX machine. It can get worse if it tells you to contact both ATC Center as well as a Class D tower while you are 40 miles away at some rural skydiving strip used only on weekends. Not to mention if the cops, sheriff, or federal rangers show up asking about things not related to the FAA like trespassing, no flights allowed for whatever, not telling them what you are up to, no permits, etc.

Best you can do is call and try and inform whomever and document it along with a name. If the apps have the wrong contact numbers, FAX machines, or whatever, then good luck. Small town cops may want to know too as likely someone will call it in and complain. I've had enough of those interactions and learned having a valid contact name helps a whole lot to hush them even if the valid name was wrong.

Thanks Gmack
I got a very good response from some one (didn't post here so I wont mention his name) that cleared a lot up. I have been know to fracture a few laws in my younger past. But since have learned that life is easier if you follow (or know the consequences) the rules. "Most" of the time all you have to show is that you make an effort to.
Joe

I'm in a similar situation, Joe.

I live in a very tiny hamlet, & out on a back road there is an "airport" that never has anyone around. Maybe the absentee owner flies up from the city for an occasional weekend, but I've never seen a plane there. The field probably gets mowed once a year to keep the brush down. Unfortunately, Airmap's 5 mile circle includes my house + the hamlet.

Someday I'll pursue the airport operator to notify him that I fly my drone in "his" airspace, but in the meantime I just take off when I get the urge & keep my eyes peeled for all aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
First off let me say I am not trolling or trying to start any issues. I just want to know where I can fly my drone. I see a lot of mixed signals.
First off this is just for recreation, I live at the edge of Omaha. And when I bring up B4UFly or AIRMAP is says I am right at the edge of 2 converging airstrips. I went and checked them out and they are 2 farmers airstrips for ultralights and "probably" used a couple times a year if they are used that much.
I have seen that a class D airport has to have a manned tower, these would most definitely not have a "tower".
That said it says you have to call "no answer at the numbers I could find" but I also hear that officially I have to notify and get a waver from FAA.
Now today I read that someone was flying at Las Vegas circus circus and that is definitely in LAS and another major strip to the north.
Now I want to follow the rules but I need to know where I find the official rules. I assume The FAA would be the one to follow but would I be the only one following them?
I would appreciate someone that actually knows to help enlighten me so I can legally fly
Thanks
Joe
If you are flying for hobby/recreation only, then you do NOT get a waiver from the FAA. Those are only for commercial (non-hobby flights).

If you are flying hobby/recreation and are within 5 miles of a airport, then you are supposed to notify the tower or airport operator of your flights. If there is no contact information listed for the airport, then you can check the Airport Facility Directory to see if there is any contact information. Otherwise, you are probably fine and just need to comply with the "see and avoid" requirements.
Chart Supplements – Basic Search

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I'm in a similar situation, Joe.

I live in a very tiny hamlet, & out on a back road there is an "airport" that never has anyone around. Maybe the absentee owner flies up from the city for an occasional weekend, but I've never seen a plane there. The field probably gets mowed once a year to keep the brush down. Unfortunately, Airmap's 5 mile circle includes my house + the hamlet.

Someday I'll pursue the airport operator to notify him that I fly my drone in "his" airspace, but in the meantime I just take off when I get the urge & keep my eyes peeled all aircraft.

I have an overgrown 2k long strip of sand at the end of my street that's classed as an aerodrome.
The way it looks I'd have trouble landing the Phantom there.
I've contacted CASA but they haven't changed their apps etc.

Reactions: KentA

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures