First time as a member of the AMA MARKHAM PARK AIRFIELD.

Reaction score
Arrived last Sunday at the airfield for the first time.
There was a hand full of pilots to talk too.
I was shocked when they told me prior to the new government regulations, you had to wait more than a half hour just to fly on weekends.
This is a big time park that has been around for years.
These RC Airplane pilots were very angry, most of them were 40 to 60 years old.
It was a *** shame after listening to these old timers, telling me the government has destroyed their hobby.
I am a Drone guy, I just tried RC Planes as a diversion.
When I mention to them later this summer they will be required to take a test, they looked at me like I was crazy.
Some of the guys told me to put my FAA # on the nose of the plane so if I crash the nose usually hit the ground first and destroys the number.
This is their small way of rebelling against the government. Trust me they are very disappointed in the AMA. Most of them had been member for years.
It is really sad but this is the new reality.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 5.43.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 5.43.55 PM.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 432
I’ve had similar experiences interacting with the fixed wing RC guys at my local field. They are not a happy group and their distain for quad copters and the people who fly them is palpable. They are truly the equivalent of what some people in the firearms world call “Fudds” (google it)

Now I want to go eat at Fuddrockers. Wish they were still around.?

Down in PR, most people are oblibious of the new rules.

Thanx for the warning. I just got my first drone (P3 advanced) and was waiting for my training wheels (prop guards) and a break in the weather to go to Markham Park. I'm in Hollywood, Florida.

Were you the only drone guy there? Had hoped to meet some folks with more experience than I, which would be pretty much anyone.

Were you the only drone guy there? Had hoped to meet some folks with more experience than I, which would be pretty much anyone.
Yes I saw some racing drones, they have a special area to fly.
It cost $1.50 to enter the park.
To fly you need a current AMA membership card and you must become a member of the park $26.00 annual cost but they prorate it to $13.00 because were in the middle of the year.
The group of people that were there, were nice to everybody regardless of what they were flying.
They enjoyed me asking questions. I was there over 3 hours just talking to people.
I'm just guessing you have never been there.

Yes I saw some racing drones, they have a special area to fly.
It cost $1.50 to enter the park.
To fly you need a current AMA membership card and you must become a member of the park $26.00 annual cost but they prorate it to $13.00 because were in the middle of the year.
The group of people that were there, were nice to everybody regardless of what they were flying.
They enjoyed me asking questions. I was there over 3 hours just talking to people.
I'm just guessing you have never been there.
Thanks for the reply. I have the AMA membership. I've been to the park, but only to the astronomy observatory on Saturday nights.

Are there any times when I'm more likely to run into drone pilots? Weekends? I could use some input from someone with more experience than I have. Like I said in my post above, that would be pretty much anyone! Thinking of going out there today (11 July) in the afternoon.

Thanks for the reply. I have the AMA membership. I've been to the park, but only to the astronomy observatory on Saturday nights.

Are there any times when I'm more likely to run into drone pilots? Weekends? I could use some input from someone with more experience than I have. Like I said in my post above, that would be pretty much anyone! Thinking of going out there today (11 July) in the afternoon.
The flying field is most busiest on weekends, the heat I was told is an issue, so I lot of people go late afternoon when it's cooler out.
An hour or so before dust. The park closes at 7:30 PM.

Thank you. I went today for my very first flights. 2 takeoffs; 2 landings. Perfect score! All 4 rotors still intact. The couple of guys who were there were very pleasant and helpful.

Not the most interesting place photographically, but good safe environment for a newbie.

Thank you. I went today for my very first flights. 2 takeoffs; 2 landings. Perfect score! All 4 rotors still intact. The couple of guys who were there were very pleasant and helpful.

Not the most interesting place photographically, but good safe environment for a newbie.
Until the FAA gets it together and we can take the test and contact LAANC.
We are stuck at AMA sites with very little if anything to photograph.
But on the plus side you are around very knowledgeable people.
The more you go the more you are going to hear a lot of disgruntled people, talking about what is happening to their hobby.
You know that famous saying "Life is a B**** and then you die"

Last edited:
Until the FAA gets it together and we can take the test and contact LAANC.
We are stuck at AMA sites with very little if anything to photograph.
But on the plus side you are around very knowledgeable people.
The more you go the more you are going to hear a lot of disgruntled people, talking about what is happening to their hobby.
You know that famous saying "Life ***** and then you die"

(emphasis added above)

Simply not true.

How so?
The FAA has no jurisdiction over city parks.
FAA controls all controlled airspace, the city would have got together with the AMA or other group associated with the FAA to fly.
We are talking about recreational flying areas.

Last edited:
FAA controls all airspace, the city would have got together with the AMA or other group associated with the FAA to fly.
We are talking about recreational flying areas.

The FAA has already posted the rules for hobbyist flying.

Those rules apply to ANYWHERE you have permission from the owner, controlling entity, or jurisdictional authorities, etc. to use the LAND to operate from. No AMA involvement required.

The city has allowed the use of the LAND.

Last edited:
The FAA has already posted the rules for hobbyist flying.

Those rules apply to ANYWHERE you have permission from the owner, controlling entity, or jurisdictional authorities, etc. to use the LAND to operate from. No AMA involvement required.

The city has allowed the use of the LAND.
I agree with you, if the land is in G airspace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic