First P3 flight today, I have one question so far

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just purchased my first drone today and got back from flying it for the first time. I think I'm hooked.

I have one question after flying it:

1. Let's say I'm standing near a building and the drone flies over the building and goes out of sight. What will happen?

Sorry couldn't resist. Really unless the building totally blocks you signal the P3 will continue on its way. It always kind of freaks me out.

Sorry couldn't resist. Really unless the building totally blocks you signal the P3 will continue on its way. It always kind of freaks me out.

Well, what happens if the building does totally block out the signal? Does it return home automatically?

It can really screw your controls up unless you are ready for it. Lots of practice before that or a crash is close at hand.

If you are looking at fpv and do a 180 to fly back chances are your controls just went in reverse, left now right and fwd being backwards.

You will lose the connection and the Phantom will RTH. Don't let it fly behind objects.

Before you take off make sure it knows where Home is or it may fly where you don' want it to. But yes it will go home when the signal is lost.

Make sure you adjust the Return To Home altitude in settings. If it goes out of sight behind a building that is 80 meters tall and the RTH altitude is 60 meters, the drone will drop down to 60 meters and come back and hit the building and crash.

Reactions: flyNfrank
Make sure you adjust the Return To Home altitude in settings. If it goes out of sight behind a building that is 80 meters tall and the RTH altitude is 60 meters, the drone will drop down to 60 meters and come back and hit the building and crash.
Sort of right ... but to be accurate a Phantom doesn't drop down and RTH.
As per the manual it will rise to the set RTH height OR if at or above that height, it will simply RTH.
i-gcvzpRg-L.jpg

And to answer the original question, your Phantom will try to RTH after 3 seconds of losing the controller signal.
If there are trees, buildings or giant Buddhas (don't laugh - it really happened) in the way, there is a strong possibility the Phantom will crash into the obstacle if the RTH height is not set high enough to clear the obstacle.
The moral is ... don't fly out of sight behind obstacles.

Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for!

Sort of right ... but to be accurate a Phantom doesn't drop down and RTH.
As per the manual it will rise to the set RTH height OR if at or above that height, it will simply RTH.
i-gcvzpRg-L.jpg

And to answer the original question, your Phantom will try to RTH after 3 seconds of losing the controller signal.
If there are trees, buildings or giant Buddhas (don't laugh - it really happened) in the way, there is a strong possibility the Phantom will crash into the obstacle if the RTH height is not set high enough to clear the obstacle.
The moral is ... don't fly out of sight behind obstacles.

The "drone" or Phantom will not drop altitude when you lose signal. If you read the manual you would know that when the Phantom does an RTH or Return To Home, if the Phantom is at an altitude below your set RTH height value it will increase or ascend to the given value. If on the other hand your Phantom is already at the same height as your pre defined RTH altitude it will stay at that altitude. If you ae higher than the RTH value than your Phantom will remain at it's current height. Followed by flying in a direct path to the set home point.

With the above said, it's important that you go into the DJI Pilot app and increase the RTH height so that it's above any obstacles you will may potentially fly behind (which you should not be doing in the first place). That way you save yourself the embarassment of flying behind an object, loosing control signal and the RTH flys your shiney new Phantom directly into said object which blocked your signal. If you're RTH is set above any possibly threat then when you loose signal, your Phantom will fly up above, then back in a straight line to the set home point before beginning an auto ascent.

Reactions: SteelGator

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31