Finding water with the Phantom 4?

Reaction score
LOL. I just thanked everyone for helping me so much on my last two posts. So that is why there are so many from me up now....

One of the issues that came up with my phenomenal map was the need to be able to see water areas better through the trees. One of my flights was over a "stream", but the tree growth, even the spindly winter branches, covered most of the area too well. Is there something I can do to improve detection of these areas without buying a 2K Zenmuse FLIR camera for my P4? Is there a UV filter or something that would help??

-Lindsay

I can only speak from having used Pix4D, but when I have overhanging trees above roadways, it helps to remove the trees from the point cloud prior to creation of the orthomosaic. After the ortho is created, it can be edited in the Mosaic Editor, to use only certain images in the mosaic for specific areas. For instance instead of using images directly above the tree, use images slightly to the "clear" side of the roadway so that the ground (or stream) is more visible.

Reactions: Lindsaybev
I can only speak from having used Pix4D, but when I have overhanging trees above roadways, it helps to remove the trees from the point cloud prior to creation of the orthomosaic. After the ortho is created, it can be edited in the Mosaic Editor, to use only certain images in the mosaic for specific areas. For instance instead of using images directly above the tree, use images slightly to the "clear" side of the roadway so that the ground (or stream) is more visible.
Thank you. I will look into this option. Does this not warp the picture a bit though??

It usually has no "warp"ing effect. You have the choice to replace an area with a single image, or a number of user selected images for an orthomosaic. On roadways, I use it to remove overhanging trees and vehicles. If you select an image too far away, the resulting ortho may look strange, but you'll see it immediately and adjust accordingly. This process can be time consuming on large projects.

It usually has no "warp"ing effect. You have the choice to replace an area with a single image, or a number of user selected images for an orthomosaic. On roadways, I use it to remove overhanging trees and vehicles. If you select an image too far away, the resulting ortho may look strange, but you'll see it immediately and adjust accordingly. This process can be time consuming on large projects.
Pretty cool. Thank you for this advice!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31