Farting around with FlyTrex and DashWare...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I was farting around this morning, trying to break through the 40 MPH barrier. There was a certain amount of wind, but it was gusting and swirling in different directions, so I really didn't have a good path to utilize a strong tail wind.

She still got up to 37.2 MPH going backwards...

Here's my amateurish (still waaayyyy low on the learning curve of both FlyTrex and DashWare) vid...

This is about the most fun I've ever had with my zipper zipped...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8v6LFM2wNg

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I was farting around this morning, trying to break through the 40 MPH barrier. There was a certain amount of wind, but it was gusting and swirling in different directions, so I really didn't have a good path to utilize a strong tail wind.

Here's my amateurish (still waaayyyy low on the learning curve of both FlyTrex and DashWare) vid...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8v6LFM2wNg[/youtube]

-slinger

Gunslinger,

How do you like Dashware? I ordered my Flytrex but ordered it off their site but delivery time was long so I don't know if they are over seas or not. Can't wait to get it.

David

Super-D said:
gunslinger said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8v6LFM2wNg[/youtube]

-slinger

Gunslinger,

How do you like Dashware? I ordered my Flytrex but ordered it off their site but delivery time was long so I don't know if they are over seas or not. Can't wait to get it.

David

They're in Israel, but the shipping time wasn't horrible. You'll find the owner/support tech to be one of the finest there is. His name is Amit and he really takes tech support to heart. I currently have a problem with altitude readouts and he's gone way out of his way to offer one on one support. DashWare is incredible. The learning curve isn't all that steep, but if you need a hand getting started, please don't hesitate to rattle my cage...

-slinger

They're in Israel, but the shipping time wasn't horrible. You'll find the owner/support tech to be one of the finest there is. His name is Amit and he really takes tech support to heart. I currently have a problem with altitude readouts and he's gone way out of his way to offer one on one support. DashWare is incredible. The learning curve isn't all that steep, but if you need a hand getting started, please don't hesitate to rattle my cage...

-slinger

There was a video on Youtube that went through some of the steps on using Dashware and it looks pretty easy to use. I was thinking about Race Render but it has a lot of options I'm sure I would not use so I think I'll just stick with Dashware. I've seen your post with Amit and that is one of the reasons I decided to get one as the support seems outstanding.

David

Use attitude mode to get the most speed. If conditions are right you should be able to push 50mph. Just be sure to gain some good altitude first as pushing full speed ahead in attitude mode will push the bird down making you loose altitude. Good luck

Super-D said:

-slinger

There was a video on Youtube that went through some of the steps on using Dashware and it looks pretty easy to use. I was thinking about Race Render but it has a lot of options I'm sure I would not use so I think I'll just stick with Dashware. I've seen your post with Amit and that is one of the reasons I decided to get one as the support seems outstanding.

David

I'm a network manager and I've dealt with a multitude of different support staffs for various and assorted companies. For the most part support has deteriorated to a shocking degree over the last few decades. Attitudes we wouldn't even consider dealing with back then are now common place.

When you run into someone like Amit at this juncture... It's kind of a shock to the system... :shock: :shock: :) :) :D

BenDronePilot said:
Use attitude mode to get the most speed. If conditions are right you should be able to push 50mph. Just be sure to gain some good altitude first as pushing full speed ahead in attitude mode will push the bird down making you loose altitude. Good luck

Hadn't thought of that!! **** good advice, Ben and I'll give that a shot on the next flight...

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
BenDronePilot said:

Hadn't thought of that!! **** good advice, Ben and I'll give that a shot on the next flight...

Thanks...
-slinger

You're welcome, let me know how it goes.

One quick question, I've heard of flytrex but what is dashware?

BenDronePilot said:
gunslinger said:
BenDronePilot said:

Thanks...
-slinger

You're welcome, let me know how it goes.

One quick question, I've heard of flytrex but what is dashware?

Dashware is a program that allows you to take a .CSV file you've exported from FlyTrex and use pre-configured gauges to display what's actually going on in the video. (speed, altitude, distance from launch, etc...) You can also customize pre-existing gauges or make your own.

Actually DashWare does a lot more than that, as I'm just keeping this on the level of using it for our purpose. There are some awesome videos out there that use DashWare for auto races, boating races, real helicopters and planes. This is very cool stuff.

-slinger

Dashware sounds like a great program. It's too bad the dji software itself didn't record the data as an exportable file as well. The Parrot ar drone 2.0 has that ability in their software. Tho it's limited to only showing up when playing the video within their app while logged in to their flight academy servers. It retains statistical into of all your flights. Height speed altitude battery life etc

BenDronePilot said:
Dashware sounds like a great program. It's too bad the dji software itself didn't record the data as an exportable file as well. The Parrot ar drone 2.0 has that ability in their software. Tho it's limited to only showing up when playing the video within their app while logged in to their flight academy servers. It retains statistical into of all your flights. Height speed altitude battery life etc

Yeah... Someone else brought that up, too. It would be SO easy for DJI to take advantage of all of the data they're pulling down from the GPS module, etc...

I've been screwing around in the PC world for nearly three decades and I've always found that if there's any kind of gap in a proprietary software program, some exceedingly bright third party operator will take advantage and create a nice little niche program to fill that void. Maybe, if Amit is lucky, DJI will buy him out and use his technology (ala Microsoft.)

MIcrosoft's ongoing theme... If you can't create software that beats your opponent's software... Simply absorb your opponent.

:D

-slinger

Just done a quick search on Dashware and I believe it is not MAC compatible, can anyone confirm or deny?

I think on their site they said it would work in Wine, or on other VM systems
Edit: Actual info from their website
DashWare is a Windows PC application, but it also runs on Macs under VMware, Parallels or Boot Camp.

Many Thanks :D

Never heard of FlyTrex before - I was looking for a light weight GPS logger but Flytrex would do the trick - thanks for mentioning it.
There is a crude way of using the telemetry details by capturing the DJI vision video off the phone. A few apps out there, for Android at least, but requires a rooted phone. Then you overlay it over the video captured off the Vision's camera.
Video of how it comes out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrHfTuaHe0

I do have Dashware and its a great software. A bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it its great fun to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAG_x24P9IY

Luap said:
Never heard of FlyTrex before - I was looking for a light weight GPS logger but Flytrex would do the trick - thanks for mentioning it.
There is a crude way of using the telemetry details by capturing the DJI vision video off the phone. A few apps out there, for Android at least, but requires a rooted phone. Then you overlay it over the video captured off the Vision's camera.
Video of how it comes out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrHfTuaHe0

I do have Dashware and its a great software. A bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it its great fun to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAG_x24P9IY

That is pretty cool! Do these apps work on a tablet, like the Nexus 7?

Thanks...
-gunslinger

Luap said:
If you can root it, it should. I use screencast.

Thank you, sir... :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164