FAA to go live at 11:45AM EST Monday 8/29/16 on Part 107.

Part 101 and 107 apply to any unmanned aircraft weighing over .55 and less than 55 pounds.

Part 101 and 107 apply to any unmanned aircraft weighing over .55 and less than 55 pounds.
Oh okay.....good. I thought drones were getting singled out.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Oh okay.....good. I thought drones were getting singled out.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Nope, the model airplane/helicopter/glider crowd has to abide by them as well. They suffer from the anti-drone effects as well...

Looking at the FAA website, they will have a live telecast on Youtube Monday, August 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM EST regarding the new rules and part 107.

Here: Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Looks like they may provide waivers for operating outside the prior rules: i.e. Night flying, outside of VLOS, above 400 feet, operation from moving vehicle, flying over people, etc. if you read some of the updates in the link. I see they also mention a "Waiver might take 90 days" too.

Sounds like they are opening up a bit (Surprisingly!) and should be informative.

Mack
I think they should allow autonomous flights with the Litchi app. They are safer than someone controlling the drone if you take your time to setup your waypoints right.

I think they should allow autonomous flights with the Litchi app. They are safer than someone controlling the drone if you take your time to setup your waypoints right.

The way I read the instructions and guidance, you're allowed to conduct autonomous flights BUT...
  • Remote PIC must have the ability to change routing/altitude or command the aircraft to land immediately. The ability to direct the small UA may be through manual manipulation of the flight controls or through commands using automation (AC 107-2, Pg. 5-2, Sect 5.2.3)
  • The remote PIC must retain the ability to direct the small UA to ensure compliance with requirements of part 107 (Sec 5.2.3.1)

• PIC or person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small UA at all times during flight (AC 107-2, pg. 5-4, sect 5.7)
  • PIC or person manipulating the controls must be able to reacquire control of the flight at any time
  • VLOS must be accomplished and maintained by unaided vision, except vision that is corrected by the use of eyeglasses or contact lenses.

Last edited:
Registered for my commercial license today. Lets see how this goes. I use my P3A for mapping and 3D models of construction projects. I know rules and regulations need to be made to keep up with new technologies. Having said that, It just seems like everyday it is becoming harder and harder for people that actually follow the rules. Whilst people that could care less keep making bad choices and making us all look bad. So the world thinks all UAS pilots are idiots who fly over fires and land on the White House Lawn. While people like me have to reschedule all of my jobs for this week until I get my certificate now.

Sorry for the rant.
define "Registered"

I watched the conference as well and so I was a little confused and reached out directly to the FAA for clarification on the waiver process for hobbyists. Here is what I got.

If I'm a hobbiest and I want to fly outside the visual line of sight and/or over people what do I do? What waivers if any do I need and how do I apply?

Thank you for your inquiry. If you cannot abide by Public Law 112-95 Section 336, which includes the requirement that you fly within visual line-of-sight at all times, then you will need to obtain a remote pilot certification. More information about that process is available here: Becoming a Pilot.

Criteria for the waivers is available here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/media/performance_based_standards.pdf.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]
Federal Aviation Administration

So evidently hobbyists are still covered by section 336 unless you want to apply for waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I watched the conference as well and so I was a little confused and reached out directly to the FAA for clarification on the waiver process for hobbyists. Here is what I got.

If I'm a hobbiest and I want to fly outside the visual line of sight and/or over people what do I do? What waivers if any do I need and how do I apply?

Thank you for your inquiry. If you cannot abide by Public Law 112-95 Section 336, which includes the requirement that you fly within visual line-of-sight at all times, then you will need to obtain a remote pilot certification. More information about that process is available here: Becoming a Pilot.

Criteria for the waivers is available here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/media/performance_based_standards.pdf.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]
Federal Aviation Administration

So evidently hobbyists are still covered by section 336 unless you want to apply for waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Is 336 any different to part 101?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

define "Registered"

Following the instructions online I was required to register for the FAA IACRA. Also made appointment for testing. Still not sure how the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) exactly plays into it. As for now just taking it one step at a time.

Joe

As a private pilot I did the FAA test on line, gat the certificated and went to my CFI and had him sign off on it. He was in the dark. With any amount of luck this is correct. However, I am taking the test this Saturday via a CATS location.

Naw, it just means the public will tattle on you for flying over their heads, flying at night, etc. more. Gives the po-po more to do as well: "Better go see if he has a license."

Even the radio is reporting it as "All drone operator's need a license" so no doubt the police will be called on you more often since they mention the "Over their heads, night, over 400 feet, etc." "Hey Ethel, call the po-po as a drone flew over more than visual sight range and over our heads too!"

I can't see how the FAA cannot make a distinction between an unlicensed and licensed flier as the public thinks with the news feeds. Somehow they will have to tie the hobbyist and commercial flier together, much like a cop sees you with a large camera in CA and determines you are automatically in violation for not having a commercial permit as your gear "Looks professional, "Can't have a tripod (Professional = Commercial use.)," nor can they separate video from still since cameras do both now and video is a heftier fine and permit. Given an option, they'll go for the higher priced one for permits here. Thank you Hollywood.
So are you telling me a native from Arizona that if I bring my Nikon camera to California and whip out my 300mm 2.8 lens I'm going to get busted unless I'm a professional photographer?

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik